Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems connecting to an airport...

Problems connecting to an airport...
kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2006, 04:52 PM

...my own.

We have a guest and want to patch them in to our airport, but the airport refuses to accept a correct password - continually reports the correct password as being incorrect.

I've reset the password - but with the same result.

Access Control is not activated - no clients are in the list.

What am I doing wrong? What other info can I give?

Thanks in advance,
KM

kent m is not a member of any public groups

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2006, 05:11 PM

we've had this happen at my girlfriend's house.
so i went in to airport admin utility...and removed the password.

you can do that, then set it up with the password again later

(just a simple suggestion!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 18, 2006, 06:03 PM

THIS SHOULD BE IN NETWORKING...

Geeze, guys! Read the "What this forum is for" stuff-and the stuff in RED in the forum header!!! Kent M, you're providing a very bad example for the real noobz.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2006, 06:45 PM

Well ghporter, "Geeze" technically is actually spelled "Geez", so now it's you setting the bad example...

:-)

and thanks for moving this to the correct forum, my bad etc, but I didn't see anything in RED for this specific forum that mentioned Airports.

Anyway, thanks fisher, that's a good quick fix and it'll work great to get the guy up and running, but there must be a proper solution, and I'd prefer to not disable the password for too long..

kent m  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2006, 12:54 PM

No one? Is this a rare problem?

I can't imagine it's a hardware issue so it must be something in my settings, but I haven't been able to sort it out...

K

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by kent m
...my own.

We have a guest and want to patch them in to our airport, but the airport refuses to accept a correct password - continually reports the correct password as being incorrect.

I've reset the password - but with the same result.

Access Control is not activated - no clients are in the list.

What am I doing wrong? What other info can I give?

Thanks in advance,
KM
This is probably NOT a password issue. AirPorts have a bad habit of displaying the 'password warning' when it is really something else.

For example, your guest's computer may have an older 64 bit only wireless card and is trying to connect to your AirPort running 128 bit WEP. I'd check other network settings like DHCP vs Mannual IP# s, etc.

FWIW wireless devices (e.g. AirPorts) can broadcast their network name/availability to other wireless devices (e.g. Macs) independant of their respective network and security configuration BUT they can still fail to connect unless these other network settings jive.

-- asxless in iLand

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2006, 01:43 PM

I spelled it that way for emphasis. Really. Honestly, I meant to focus on the fact that the POST was in the wrong spot, not that YOU had posted in the wrong spot. Yesterday I saw a number of posts that were in the wrong forums...it's like there's an epidemic of people not paying attention and posting randomly in the wrong place. No offense was meant. I was, in fact, trying to make it a light-hearted thing...

The red text is two forums above in Peripherals. It says AirPort issues go in the Networking forum. Since it's red, I figured most folks would at least notice it...

Anyway, what have you done beyond the password resetting? Have you reset the base station? Restarted your computer? Both could help...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules