Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can I set up this kind of limited remote access to my computer?

Can I set up this kind of limited remote access to my computer?
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 08:18 PM

I would like to allow my assistant who is on an XP box in a remote location to be able to browse all my folders in a specific directory. I also want to allow her to save all the work she does in these folders. However, I don't want her to be able to open or delete any of "my" files that are in these folders.

Is this possible? While I'm a total noob to setting up VNC/Remote Desktop, it just seems like they would give her way too much access. I want to limit her to just being able to save and edit her own work, not mine.

p.s., I currently have it set up so that she is saving her work to my public folder, but that means that I have to do all the "filing". I want her to be able to file her stuff herself!

Thanks.

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 08:44 PM

I believe that if you download and install the freeware Sharepoints on your Mac you will be able to control which folders your secretary has access to.

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 09:53 PM

looks like a cool app., but can I allow her to browse the folders without being able to access the files contained in them?

I just got a waaay better idea...
I've never used Automator, but is there a way to have it search my iDisk for new files in a bunch of predefined folders > if there are files, then copy the files to the corresponding folder on my HD > delete the original file from my iDisk leaving the folder.

This would be AMAZING!!! (although this thread prolly should be moved to OS X or Applications at this point)

The Wolf  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 10:25 PM

Crap, I am sooo close. I think it actually worked once. I have automator running an AppleScript but all of a sudden I can't tell the AppleScript to "select all" in the iDisk folder. Any suggestions?

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf
looks like a cool app., but can I allow her to browse the folders without being able to access the files contained in them?

Give her "write" permissions, but not "read" permissions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules