Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.5 Server - Mounting Server Volume over LAN

10.4.5 Server - Mounting Server Volume over LAN
josephmyates
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 08:17 PM

We are setting up a new Xerve G5 with Server 10.4.5.

Is there an easy way to mount the root volume (Applications / Library / etc) of the Server on client Macs over the LAN?

When I connect to the Server over the LAN (register as Admin) all I have access to are the Shares - Admin, Groups, Public, Users - but not the folders on the main drive.

We need to access the Library folder of the Server over the LAN. I've tried resetting permissions for the whole drive as well as the Library folder but no success.

Thanks in advance for any help

digital_dreamer
Feb 22, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by josephmyates
We are setting up a new Xerve G5 with Server 10.4.5.

Is there an easy way to mount the root volume (Applications / Library / etc) of the Server on client Macs over the LAN?

When I connect to the Server over the LAN (register as Admin) all I have access to are the Shares - Admin, Groups, Public, Users - but not the folders on the main drive.

We need to access the Library folder of the Server over the LAN. I've tried resetting permissions for the whole drive as well as the Library folder but no success.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reviewing your post, again, I see you are "registering" as Admin.
Ignore the share privileges that you have set up in the WorkGroup, and just log in as you would log into your server as a local user.
Doing this, of course, defeats the purpose of having a Server OS that manages privileges, however.

regards,
MAJ

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2006, 04:23 AM

Can't you just select the Library in the Workgroup manager and share it? I've just tested it briefly here on my test server, and it seems to work fine...

Peter

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by peterthorn
Can't you just select the Library in the Workgroup manager and share it? I've just tested it briefly here on my test server, and it seems to work fine...

Peter
That's exactly how you'd do it, and it works fine. Must be user error.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2006, 03:51 PM

Why in blue blazes would you need to share /Library on the server boot volume? What are you trying to achieve?
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jellytussle
Why in blue blazes would you need to share /Library on the server boot volume? What are you trying to achieve?
I was also very curious about that part too - I wouldn't personally let any user touch the library...

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 03:27 AM

Sounds like you don't have a freaking clue about OS X server.

The two Apps you need to look into are Server Admin and Workgroup Manager. Also, if you actually intend to use the thing as a server, you are going to need this:

http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules