Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sony Acknowledges LCD TV Software Problem ...

Sony Acknowledges LCD TV Software Problem ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006, 09:50 AM

"Japanese electronics giant Sony's ambitions in the Chinese LCD TV market suffered a blow as the company acknowledged five of its models had software faults.

Sony China issued a statement on its Web site last Thursday saying two LCD rear projection TV and three LCD TV models, all manufactured between August and November in its Shanghai factory, had a timing problem.

The problem leads to an inability to switch off power or turn it back on when it has been on standby, once the TV set has run for 1,200 hours.

The usual lifespan for a LCD TV set is 50,000 hours.

Sony promised to offer free software upgrade to consumers of the five models. About 18,000 such sets have been sold in the Chinese market, according to Sony China."

http://www.stickyminds.com/sonyacknowledges
http://www.stickyminds.com/400000defective

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 10:25 AM

WE as consumers need to applaud companies coming out publicly stating that thy have discovered (or have been pointed out by consumers) flaws in their hardware/software!

IMHO, I would rather own something with a known flaw as compared to Sony saying "nope, nothing wrong... what did YOU do to your TV?"

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2006, 10:31 AM

Interesting... a firmware update for the same problem is available to Canadian owners of these sets as well. I've read discussion of it on AVS Forum.

meelk
Baninated
Feb 23, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
WE as consumers need to applaud companies coming out publicly stating that thy have discovered (or have been pointed out by consumers) flaws in their hardware/software!

IMHO, I would rather own something with a known flaw as compared to Sony saying "nope, nothing wrong... what did YOU do to your TV?"
oh please. dont applaud sony. this same company will gladly tell you that you killed your own ps/ps2. Ive known people who have gone through 3 of the damn things. I ran a videogame store for years and Sony CRAP broke non-stop.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by EmmEff
Interesting... a firmware update for the same problem is available to Canadian owners of these sets as well. I've read discussion of it on AVS Forum.
Same on satelliteguys too.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
oh please. dont applaud sony. this same company will gladly tell you that you killed your own ps/ps2. Ive known people who have gone through 3 of the damn things. I ran a videogame store for years and Sony CRAP broke non-stop.
My point was, this is a good thing. Companies usually just do nothing...

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by meelk

Guess what, my TV is one of the models that needed the update.

First off. This is a minor bug. They set will not turn on again after 1200 hours but all you need to do is unplug it and plug it back in and it is fixed for another 1200. So at least you are not stuck with a bad TV.

Anywho, The notice came out a over a week ago on a Monday. I called Sony the same day it came out and they had someone at my house THE NEXT DAY to fix it.

All it was is a tech with a USB thumb drive, he plugs it in the back on the TV, 10 min later the software is updated and he is out of there.

This tech was from a 3rd party and he was telling me how impressed even he is with Sony. Sony found a problem, contacted as many repair companies as they could to help customers, and got the problem fixed.

Many other companies would deny it for ages and be slow to upgrade.

Also, I found out my 6 month old Sony DVD player has a very minor issue, called sony today and with no fuss at all they are sending me a BRAND NEW UNIT before they even get the old one from me.

I am very satisfied with the customer service I get from them.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006, 02:44 PM

I can't really disagree w/ any of that. I feel the same way about recalls on cars.

SShoot3r
Feb 24, 2006, 01:33 AM

so it only affects those from models made in china correct?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by SShoot3r
I think it is everything before nov of last year, just check your serials.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 10:42 AM

I believe it affects those made in Mexico as well... check your serial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules