Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery = Lame

Battery = Lame
sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 05:49 PM

how long do you 1.67ghz powermac users get just surfing the net wirelessly? i got like 1.5 hours on a recently calibrated fully charged battery. bollocks!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 24, 2006, 06:14 PM

I dunno but have you stopped wearing diapers yet?

sonicj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 06:30 PM

ooo, well aren't we just witty & creative today...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 06:40 PM

what settings are you using?...usually 2.5-3 hrs seems to be the norm with users who turn off BT, lower their backlighting, and turn off their backlit keyboards, see if any of this helps....and stop complaining, its a notebook, if its not 1.5hrs max now...it will be in 6 months time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghettochild
Feb 24, 2006, 07:07 PM

BT off, AP on, using safari, adium, mail. display on auto depending on ambient light.
= ca. 4.5h
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 07:39 PM

have you downloaded and applied the battery update?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303035

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
I don't get it.

sonicj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2006, 09:16 PM

bt off, ap on, firefox & aim...

i did the battery update already and i recently calibrated it. idk... it just seems pretty weak compared to my 1.2 ibook. i could run that thing forever just surfing the web. i haven't tried yet, but i seriously doubt this thing would make it through an entire movie! lame imo!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by sonicj

i did the battery update already and i recently calibrated it. idk... it just seems pretty weak compared to my 1.2 ibook. i could run that thing forever just surfing the web. i haven't tried yet, but i seriously doubt this thing would make it through an entire movie! lame imo!
CNet reports 2.9 hours for the 1.67 17" and 2.7 hours for the 1.67 15", so don't try watching LoTR.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 10:46 PM

sounds like you've done all the right stuff. Time for talking to someone at the Genius Bar, or if that's too difficult, calling applecare. Take the time to get some real battery results that you can document. Download something like X-Charge, which can print out a graph of battery life.

Applecare doesn't cover batteries, but you've got the latest model PB with a very poor battery--Apple has been known to replace batteries, especially with the 15" battery recall.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbo...yexchange/faq/

No guarantees, but it's worth a try--just remember to stay cool, calm, and collected.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 12:17 AM

if your battery is defective within a year, i think youre entitled to a new battery via applecare. good luck.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

sonicj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 08:15 AM

thanx for the advice guys & gals! i'll get some hard documentation and holla on the boost mobile with the homies up at the apple crib and see whats up.. holla! =P
-sonicj

lookmark
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
if your battery is defective within a year, i think youre entitled to a new battery via applecare. good luck.
Only if the battery is defective, e.g capacity under 50%. Otherwise, it's considered normal usage.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by lookmark
Only if the battery is defective, e.g capacity under 50%. Otherwise, it's considered normal usage.
I got two new iBook batteries that way. With normal usage for me they went to <1hour in 11 months . So Apple will replace batteries.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 01:18 PM

How long have you had your laptop? Calibarate sucks. how about you actually do something LIKE GASP.. Buy a NEW BATTERY. I get 2 1/2 hours on my powerbook sitting outside on the wireless, while having bluetooth on, and use photoshop as well.

Buy a new battery cheep-ass whiner.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 01:22 PM

I don't think calibrating your battery will give you any extra runtime. What it will do is make the battery status indicator more accurate.
( Last edited by bradoesch; Feb 25, 2006 at 11:44 PM. )

b33faroni
Feb 25, 2006, 03:04 PM

how long do you 1.67ghz powermac users get just surfing the net wirelessly? i got like 1.5 hours on a recently calibrated fully charged battery. bollocks!
Man, I didn't know you could run a powermac on a battery, sounds like 1.5 hours is a great time then!! Heh, Im just messing with ya, I get bout 3.5-4 hours on mine while surfing, taking notes in word and downloading music in limewire/poisened in school on my 12 inch 1.5.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 25, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Originally Posted by inkhead
How long have you had your laptop? Calibarate sucks. how about you actually do something LIKE GASP.. Buy a NEW BATTERY. I get 2 1/2 hours on my powerbook sitting outside on the wireless, while having bluetooth on, and use photoshop as well.

That was unacceptable behavior. There was no need for you to react like that to a sensible question from a member.

So please, be on good behavior, or we may be forced to ban you temporarily.

tooki

powerbook911
Feb 26, 2006, 04:11 AM

If you have Applecare, is the battery replacement still only for the first year?
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 01:26 PM

Well just so you preserve your battery life when you get your new battery, take it out when you don't use it. And if you almost never require a battery, you should actually use the battery once in a while and fully drain it before you charge it again. That's how I keep my battery life healthy, my 1.5 yrs PB battery has been going for at least 3 hours + per use.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

sonicj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead

i've had he pb less than year asshole...

i use my laptop with a average even mix of battery & power supply. im going to call apple as soon as i get more than 2 seconds away from work during business hours. we shall see....

Forum Links
Forum Rules