Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > South Florida: Make Only $70,000? You're Poor & Qualify For Housing!

South Florida: Make Only $70,000? You're Poor & Qualify For Housing! (Page 2)
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
And said reason wont be "Bad teacher" it has to be something far worse.
Nope. If a teacher gets a poor evaluation (meaning they are a bad teacher), then usually they go into remediation. If they get another bad evaluation after that, then they most likely will be fired. At least that's how it works in my district.

It is, of course, hard to quantify "bad teacher". And it is possible for some teachers to only do their best work when they are being evaluated. But tenure has nothing to do with that problem.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 08:00 PM

Seems like the only way to buy is become a drug dealer
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=287009

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 25, 2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Nope. If a teacher gets a poor evaluation (meaning they are a bad teacher), then usually they go into remediation. If they get another bad evaluation after that, then they most likely will be fired. At least that's how it works in my district.

It is, of course, hard to quantify "bad teacher". And it is possible for some teachers to only do their best work when they are being evaluated. But tenure has nothing to do with that problem.
That might be how it works there, but not here. It's almost next to impossible to fire a Tenured teacher.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 08:51 PM

That might be how it works there, but not here. It's almost next to impossible to fire a Tenured teacher.
Where, the moon?

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Where, the moon?
Just asked my wife... who's a tenured teacher here in MD. You get tenure after two years. After that, you're first assessment/evaluation is at year 5. And it is fairly hard to get fired as the union works in your favor. However, repeated bad performance will put you on the "black list". Basically, as they start planning for the new year's curriculum, you are most likey not going to get something you want (be it schedule or the class within your domain).

This puts the "failing" teacher in a bad situation where he/she cannot switch to a new school as references will reveal their lack of effort. What typically happens is that you either leave the system.. or you're basically given the crap section. Unfortunantly, those sections often deal with the students that need the most help.

Having said that - with this no child left behind initiative - teachers have to be "highly qualified" - meaning they must get professional education credits as well as pass certain Praxies. Failure to do so may result in the loss of certification. In her school system - that means you're out of a job.

Again - this is here in Montgomery County, MD.

However, regardless of how much money or how good the teachers are in your system, it will not be successfull if the community (parents, etc.) do not support it. Seeing some of the way parents act and react in school... I'm not suprised that the education system is suffering.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2006, 09:58 PM

It's all fine and dandy to point our fingers towards teachers, and we should demand the best from our teachers. We need great teachers, there is no questioning that.

However, we can't short-change the fact that the problem also lies with apathetic students and disconnected parents too.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 25, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
It's all fine and dandy to point our fingers towards teachers, and we should demand the best from our teachers. We need great teachers, there is no questioning that.

However, we can't short-change the fact that the problem also lies with apathetic students and disconnected parents too.
I agree 100%.

Too many parents are clueless as to their kids daily school lives.

If the kid is getting bad grades, I blame the parent just as much.

If I brought home anything below a C ever, I would be grounded for a long time, and believe me, those few times it happened was pure hell.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 11:18 PM

In 365 days from today, we'll be whining that illegal immigrants are stealing our teaching jobs.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 25, 2006, 11:25 PM

They would have to learn to speak English first.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
In 365 days from today, we'll be whining that illegal immigrants are stealing our teaching jobs.
Just move to South Dakota. The lowest cost of living in the US.

No. Seriously. Plus no income tax on the state level.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 09:44 PM

They would have to learn to speak English first.
That may not necessarily be true. There are some that are teaching in the Boston area and can't pass a simple English test. The Union keeps fighting for them.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 09:47 PM

How did they get hired and obtain tenure?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 09:47 PM

Oh, and in Illinois you need four years for tenure. I'm on year 3... so we'll see if I can make it.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 12:11 AM

Oh, and in Illinois you need four years for tenure.
Then it should be called fourure and not tenure.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 12:19 AM

Tenure is 3 yrs in TN, but I don't think it carries over from county to county here. Does it typically in other states?

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You're right, the prices are much more reasonable on the moon.
Nah! Real estate is dirt cheap! (The commute is a b****, though...)
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Tenure is 3 yrs in TN, but I don't think it carries over from county to county here. Does it typically in other states?
Don't think so. Only your credentials carry over.

However, if you go to a different state, the credentials may not even carry over. I remember we were looking to move out west (Az or Ca)... and since there was no reciprocity, my wife's credentials from MD would not have carried over (meaning she would have to obtain a new certification, retake Praxies etc).

Forum Links
Forum Rules