Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > help scrambled eggs!

help scrambled eggs!
kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 09:21 AM

Mine always turn out flat and rubbery. How do get them light and fluffy?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 09:29 AM

Whisk them energetically with a whisker first.

This will create some air bubbles. The trick is to not do too much of it, so a few whisks should be enough.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2006, 10:07 AM

The key is to add a bit of milk to the eggs in a bowl, whisk them well (I use a fork) before cooking. When I make them - I make 10 eggs scrambled at a time - I always add three tablespoons of milk and I fry them on medium heat in a pan generously buttered with REAL butter. Don't turn them often! You should only turn them about three times. Let them sit until you see that they are becoming thick and at about halfway thickness THEN flip them all over. Wait another bit until they look almost done then flip them again. Finally, flip them once or twice more to cook any parts that are still loose.

They will be spectacular! Oh, and another yummy idea? I sometimes put lemon pepper on them afterwards or REAL grated parmesan cheese.

Delicioso!

kikkoman  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Whisk them energetically with a whisker first.

This will create some air bubbles. The trick is to not do too much of it, so a few whisks should be enough.
I beat them with a whisk for about a minute. Is that too much?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2006, 11:49 AM

A little milk and cheddar (or American) cheese go a long way...yummy.

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 11:55 AM

Cook slowly, scraping from the outside of the pan into the middle every once and a while.

ambush
Banned
Mar 5, 2006, 12:04 PM

1 part eggs, 1 part cheese.

add fine herbs and pepper... always whisk

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 5, 2006, 12:18 PM

Remember that scrambled eggs are not an omelet. Scrambled eggs need a) to be moist, and b) to be fluffy.

Do not overcook them. That's why they're rubbery. I am assuming they are also dry. Add milk or cream to help with that as well. Then cook them until they look just underdone -- they'll keep cooking for a minute after they come out of the pan. If you remove them from the pan when they look right, they will be overdone by the time you eat them.

As for them being "flat" -- use low heat, and move them around while they cook. Just leaving them will make an omelet.

tooki

skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 12:21 PM

.... don't whisk them too much, btw, use a fork.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman
I beat them with a whisk for about a minute. Is that too much?
Yes it is too much; too much whisking make them turn into omelettes!

The idea of scrambled eggs is to get that marble of white and yellow, imho.

10 seconds of whisking is plenty (either with a fork or a whisk), the idea being that you have to do it with energy. Milk is unnecessary, although it can add nicely to the taste and texture. Some people will add a bit of water, but that is not needed. The basic recipe is about eggs. When you cook them, you have to fold the melange in the pan, with a fork, so that the structure is being broken continuously.

You should not have it too cooked (all solid), yet, they should appear lightly moist; that's when you serve them (they finish their cooking in the plate with the residual heat). The perfect preparation calls for your constant attention, especially at the end.

But clearly, experiment is your guide. So far this thread provided pretty interesting variations.
( Last edited by Pendergast; Mar 5, 2006 at 04:53 PM. )
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 01:18 PM

Yeah, don't whisk too much.
( Last edited by BlueSky; Mar 5, 2006 at 02:18 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
The key is to add a bit of milk to the eggs in a bowl, whisk them well (I use a fork) before cooking. When I make them - I make 10 eggs scrambled at a time - I always add three tablespoons of milk and I fry them on medium heat in a pan generously buttered with REAL butter. Don't turn them often! You should only turn them about three times. Let them sit until you see that they are becoming thick and at about halfway thickness THEN flip them all over. Wait another bit until they look almost done then flip them again. Finally, flip them once or twice more to cook any parts that are still loose.

They will be spectacular! Oh, and another yummy idea? I sometimes put lemon pepper on them afterwards or REAL grated parmesan cheese.

Delicioso!

Hi Cody,

That is the way that my wife fixes scrambled eggs. Yes, they are delicious.

Just had two kinds of scrambled eggs at our all Church Breakfast this morning.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Add milk or cream to help with that as well.
Cream.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 04:01 PM

Remember that they keep cooking once you have taken the pan off the heat. I continually stir mine in the pan from the second I pour the eggs in, and remove from the heat when it's still quite sloppy, leaving it to 'firm up' even though it's not on the heat.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2006, 04:15 PM

Cream makes them heavy, actually, and because of the high fat content (fat solids) that will make them scorch easier.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 04:15 PM

You could poach them. Either use fresh eggs or crack them into a strainer so that you're only using the yolk and the thick whites. Add salt to simmering water, but leave eggs unseasoned. Whisk them briefly. Stir water into a whirlpool just before dripping the scrambled mixture into the pot, where it will quickly congeal into ribbons. Turn off heat, cover pot, count to 20. Ta-da.

Serve with some good extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt, or maybe paprika and a pad of butter -- the choices are yours.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by philm
Remember that they keep cooking once you have taken the pan off the heat. I continually stir mine in the pan from the second I pour the eggs in, and remove from the heat when it's still quite sloppy, leaving it to 'firm up' even though it's not on the heat.
The Chef's technique.

Emile M. Cioran

kikkoman  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 05:06 PM

Would using a non stick pan or greased skillet make a difference?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman
Would using a non stick pan or greased skillet make a difference?
A non stick pan works well, just as a skillet with some grease works. The idea is that you should choose the tools you feel comfortable with.

I use a non-stick pan because I am lazy and I hate doing dishes...

Emile M. Cioran

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 05:35 PM

Little bit of milk and a few dashes of:

turbopants
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 06:54 PM

I always add a few drops of tabasco sauce to my scrambled eggs to spice them up a bit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by turbopants
I always add a few drops of tabasco sauce to my scrambled eggs to spice them up a bit.
Me, too. I swear on Green Tabasco.

And loads of milk in the eggs.

-t

far200
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 10:11 PM

Go here and do a search for scrambled eggs..... http://brunch.allrecipes.com

I always find great recipes here.....

enjoy

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 01:18 AM

At least half a cup of milk per egg will keep them soft, it will look way too runny, but its not, whip them up first with an egg wisk and some salt and pepper.

Once it starts cooking it will thicken very quickly, just don't forget to keep stirring.
When it looks like its about start to become solid put onto a plate, it will continue to cook after that. Never ever leave the kithen or they will instantly burn.

Dont over cook or they will seperate, and don't over salt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules