Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Shuffle problem deleted songs from library!?!

Shuffle problem deleted songs from library!?!
pbjudge
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 10:43 PM

The Shuffle would not eject from within iTunes. I tried dragging it off the desktop to eject it that way and it would not budge. iTunes would not respond and when I tired to force-quit the program, it would not respond. The entire computer froze - very unusual under OSX...

So I had to unplug the shuffle manually and then restart the computer. When I reattached the shuffle, it was blank - a known risk of unplugging a disc without properly ejecting it. I was not too upset cuz it was only 30 songs on one playlist (the shuffle's own play list). I figured I could rebuild it.

No prob, right? Well that is what I though. When I got home later that night, I went into iTunes to reload songs onto the shuffe. There had be 30 songs, but I could remember only about 10, so I went into iTunes library to find the songs in order to put back onto the shuffe, but they were GONE from the library. Even the iTunes songs I had bought were gone, no longer listed even in the Purchased Music playlist. And the songs were not in the iTunes Musc folder... they are gone completely. Apparently, the manual unplugging of the shuffle and the restart of the computer erased the songs NOT ONLY from the shuffle, but the entire library too. Isn't that strange?!?

I have Apple's Backup program, and I back up my library every 4 weeks, but I was just about to do another backup this week, so if I choose to restore, I would lose everying I have gotten since the last back up, so that is not really an option.

Once a month or so, I copy the entire iTunes library over to my external hard disk, so I have been able to get some of the purchaced iTunes songs from there (better than a condensed backup because you can pick individual songs without having to do a restore on the entire file - which would erase anything added since the last backup).
I just wish I could remember what songs I had on the shuffle...

Has anyone ever heard of this? I know that manually unplugging any hard disk or USB drive without first ejecting it, has risks, included the loss of the data on the disk/drive, but have you hever heard of not only the shuffle, but ALSO the library being erased?!?
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Forum Links
Forum Rules