Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got Macbook Pro, Got questions.

Got Macbook Pro, Got questions.
rdionicio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 03:24 PM

I used to have a Powerbook but that was a long time ago. I just got my Macbook Pro yesterday and have been using it extensively. I've downloaded the necessary programs that I need but I have a few questions. What productivity software do you guys use? iCal is nice but is there a better program out there? I want to be able to organize events, a to-do list and all. I know of Office 2004 but I am not looking to purchase that at the moment. Is OpenOffice the way to go? I downloaded it but wasnt impressed. I installed X11 from my cd and it runs OpenOffice and then X11. I'm running on 512mb so that isnt going to do well with all the other programs I have open.

What productivity software do you guys use in order to keep everything organized with your life? Free software is my preference but you can list others that require purchase. Thanks!

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 03:26 PM

I've used Sticky Brain for a while, and have upgraded to the Soho Organizer
http://www.chronosnet.com/Products/sohonotes.html

rdionicio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 03:33 PM

oh by the way, im a student, $99 does seem a lot for me but it looks really good.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 04:21 PM

rdionicio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 04:33 PM

I'm going to be looking forward to that. The only other software I've been able to find that may help me is Circus Ponies and the SOHO Organizer last mentioned.

Poogy
Mar 8, 2006, 04:53 PM

I like Circus Ponies. It can be high-maintenance, as your to-dos are scattered amongs many outlines on many pages, but overall it's fairly workable.

rdionicio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2006, 05:01 PM

Is there a student version (any program) similar to SOHO Organizer. Can't wait for AJAX to come out though. It can save extra resources on my laptop..but keeping everything online doesnt sound too good to me

hmp
Mar 8, 2006, 08:02 PM

If you're a student, you may be able to purchase Office 2004 and other Mac software for extra cheap at your university computer store (assuming you're in college). For example, my school sells Office 2004 for Mac to students for $7 (because of campus agreements with Microsoft) - well worth it in my opinion

You might want to stop by your campus computer store and see if they have any special deals.

Forum Links
Forum Rules