Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Miglia TVmini Question

Miglia TVmini Question
Geobunny
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 10:53 AM

Does anyone have one of these Miglia TV minis? If so, what's it like and does it work with USB 1?

I'm tempted to buy one but it says it requires USB 2. Now, the iPod shuffle and iPod mini both claim to require USB 2 as well, but both work well albeit slowly. Also, on the product requirements, it says "PowerPC G4/500" am I right in thinking that there weren't any G4/500 machines with USB 2.0?
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 11:45 AM

Don't bother with anything below a 1.2 GHz G4.

Seriously not fun.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2005, 12:41 PM

You could have a USB2 PCI card in an older G4 PowerMac.

It says it records the unmodified original broadcast stream (commonly MPEG-2, but can be MPEG-1 or 4), which likely exceeds the practical bandwidth of USB 1.x.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 03:54 PM

It works fine for viewing TV on a G4 500, but recording is painful.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 01:46 AM

I'm interested in this TVmini HD that I keep seeing ads for. Why aren't there more posts on this? Well, I don't think I'm really asking 'why' but really more like I'm pretty surprised there isn't more buzz on this. It's small, and does HD?! That seems great to me!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD
I'm interested in this TVmini HD that I keep seeing ads for. Why aren't there more posts on this? Well, I don't think I'm really asking 'why' but really more like I'm pretty surprised there isn't more buzz on this. It's small, and does HD?! That seems great to me!
It seems great to me also, but it's for Europe only. So you and I are SOL. I believe the DVB-T standard used by the TVMini is incompatible with what is used in north America. Kind of like NTSC vs PAL for analog video.

nerd
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe
It seems great to me also, but it's for Europe only. So you and I are SOL. I believe the DVB-T standard used by the TVMini is incompatible with what is used in north America. Kind of like NTSC vs PAL for analog video.
Yup, ATSC in the US. The US and something like 3 or 4 other countries use ATSC the rest are mostly DVB. I searched for a map that I once saw but I couldn't find it.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 02:52 PM

Argh is macnn based in Europe? Why would they tease us like that!! Also, I saw some references to El Gato with this, do you think there will be a US version? But perhaps El Gato is only supplying the software...

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Fvck You
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 07:13 PM

It seems the Tvmini WILL be ATSC compatible in the near future. Is anybody planning on getting it?

http://www.miglia.com/products/video...d/preview.html

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 07:43 AM

anyone know of any major differences between this and the EyeTV 500?

they both use the EyeTV software ..... but can't think of any other reason to get the EyeTV 500?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by **** You
It seems the Tvmini WILL be ATSC compatible in the near future. Is anybody planning on getting it?

http://www.miglia.com/products/video...d/preview.html
That's a different device from the same manufacturer.

WRG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:44 AM

Its out, ordered one for my sis in Florida, launched at MacWorld SF. I'll let you know how it goes
WRG

Geobunny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 PM

FWIW, I'd like to answer my own question and say that the Miglia TV Mini is an awesome piece of kit, I've used it almost constantly since I bought it and yes it does require USB 2.0 - it simply refuses to work on USB 1.
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Geobunny
FWIW, I'd like to answer my own question and say that the Miglia TV Mini is an awesome piece of kit, I've used it almost constantly since I bought it and yes it does require USB 2.0 - it simply refuses to work on USB 1.
i assume the device is bus powered?

does it offer a second usb port for pass-through?

namannik
Senior User
Mar 11, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by badtz
anyone know of any major differences between this and the EyeTV 500?

they both use the EyeTV software ..... but can't think of any other reason to get the EyeTV 500?
Apparently, TV Mini doesn't support digital cable, but EyeTV 500 does:

http://elgato.com/index.php?file=pro...ignal=hdtvaean

And both are listed as being NTSC compatible. Has anyone tried either of these products with a Mac Mini? I'd love to use it on mine to record over-the-air digital HD broadcasts.

vasu
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 06:41 AM

do these just record atsc broadcasts? Is there some product that can record clear qam (or ota atsc) AND ntsc analog cable?

-vasu

drewstevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 04:37 PM

According to the Miglia FAQ it does in fact support digital cable QAM in addition to ATSC. I have a refurbished EyeTV 500 (looked brand new) for my Mac Mini Core Duo which works wonderfully, except that I have to use an antennae (my cable provider, RCN, does not provide QAM HD). A combo QAM/ATSC/Analog cable box would be great, but I'm not aware of any such device...

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

I just got a TVMini HD and I love it--I have a RadioShack double bowtie antenna on it and get all the major networks in my area with no dropouts. The EyeTV v2 software is a very good piece of software, much nicer than v1 with nice features (scheduling, iPod export) and slick UI. The remote control is pretty good as well, with buttons that control fullscreen toggle, pause, instant replay, etc.

I had a much more difficult time with an EyeTV 500 in terms of getting reception, and Miglia customer support told me via email that they do in fact use a different tuner, but significant factors (location, antenna) have changed since my experiments with EyeTV. Therefore, I can't say that it's better than EyeTV 500, but I've certainly had much better luck.

The TVMini HD also physically small, and the portable aspect is played up--it comes with a portable antenna and soft carrying bag with drawstring.

I've found a good deal for this online--I got it delivered for $175. Well worth it in my opinion.
( Last edited by plastiqueusa; May 20, 2006 at 07:20 PM. )

nerd
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 12:19 AM

I just got the TVMini HD as well. I did run into a snag with one of the locals showing up as channel showing up as 5.1 but TitanTV has it as 35.1 so everytime I ass a recording for that channel using TitanTV I have to manually set the channel. Not the products fault at all, simple great hardware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules