Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > $100 discount on mac mini

$100 discount on mac mini
beck11488
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 02:30 PM

if your a student and looking for a good price on a mac mini, then go and buy it direct from the apple store, i bought one today cause the guy told me 100 off a new mac mini.

rparke1
Banned
Mar 12, 2006, 02:39 PM

its been like that for a long while now

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 02:40 PM

Are you sure it's the new Mini?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 02:46 PM

On the new Intel mini the discount is only $20.

rparke1
Banned
Mar 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

it's not for the new intel minis, i think he ment a new one in general, like you go buy a new computer for a hundred off but its not THE newest. does that make sense? tried to word it the best i could. wait, grr, why isnt the student discount for the intel minis? like for me, its a hundred off the pc minis but for the intel its only twenty off?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 02:52 PM

Them he should have mentioned that he's talking about the Mac Mini G4
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

beck11488  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 03:01 PM

am talkin about the intel mac mini, the guy told me the wrong price and i held him to what he told me

beck11488  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 03:01 PM

he told me 600 for the dual core base model, no bto options added

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2006, 03:44 PM

are there any ppc mini's on the apple store online? i don't see them. except the refurbs.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 12, 2006, 07:02 PM

Apple Store (U.S.) student price for Intel Mac Minis is $579 for the Core Solo model and $779 for the Core Duo model.

There's ONE PPC 1.42GHz Mini in the Special Deals area for $599...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 07:50 PM

Are you serious? A whole 20$ off a 599$ computer?! All that generosity for merely being a student? Wow! I'm glad Apple understands our difficult situation and limited revenue! Thank you Apple!!!

Seriously, this is an insult.. Local theaters almost give students more discount than this for a little movie ticket.

beck11488  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 11:15 PM

umm 200 discount on adc membership and on macbookpros and g5;s

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Are you serious? A whole 20$ off a 599$ computer?! All that generosity for merely being a student? Wow! I'm glad Apple understands our difficult situation and limited revenue! Thank you Apple!!!

Seriously, this is an insult.. Local theaters almost give students more discount than this for a little movie ticket.

The mark up on that movie ticket is substantially higher than the mark up in the mini.

quiklee
Senior User
Mar 13, 2006, 03:26 PM

if it's not worth 599 to you, then go and buy a dell . . . you get what you pay for . . . i wish Mercedes gave student discounts . . . i find it an insult that a movie theatre gives students more discounts and Mercedes doesn't!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
if it's not worth 599 to you, then go and buy a dell . . . you get what you pay for . . . i wish Mercedes gave student discounts . . . i find it an insult that a movie theatre gives students more discounts and Mercedes doesn't!
Good for you. Seriously, I don't have a problem with the price itself, I just find it insulting that Apple aknowledges that students have special needs, but lower its price by a ridiculous margin. I mean, currently, McDonald offers a free pack of Wrigley's DoubleMint when you buy certain meals. That's understandable. But 20$ off a 799$ computer is like giving a free mailbox as a bonus when you buy a house.

And FYI, most dealers give out discount to students or graduates, in the magnitude of 1000$ or more. They don't merely give you a free cupholder or free mats.

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Good for you. Seriously, I don't have a problem with the price itself, I just find it insulting that Apple aknowledges that students have special needs, but lower its price by a ridiculous margin. I mean, currently, McDonald offers a free pack of Wrigley's DoubleMint when you buy certain meals. That's understandable. But 20$ off a 799$ computer is like giving a free mailbox as a bonus when you buy a house.

And FYI, most dealers give out discount to students or graduates, in the magnitude of 1000$ or more. They don't merely give you a free cupholder or free mats.
What is the student discount from HP, gateway, sony, or dell?

You take what you can get. Be lucky apple offers one at all.

I'm a student too and I've bought the BT keyboard, mac mini, 30gb ipod with video. That means over time I've saved $64cad. Now I would have bought those anyways so is 64 dollars a huge savings? No, but it's 64 dollars less than what I thought I'd spend, that's 2 months of my cell phone bill.

If you're a student every little bit helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules