Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Newbie-ish question...

Newbie-ish question...
Danometer
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2002, 10:41 AM

Is .mov (Type MooV, Creator TVOD) a Quicktime movie format?

I have QT Pro 5.02 on two different G3-based Mac, but QT won't play it on either computer. One computer tries to change it "from: Quicktime Movie format to: unknown movie format" (That's what the box said, I couldn't believe it either); the other just states that "You may have problems playing the video track because the required processor could not be found".

I don't know what program created the file. The audio on it plays very quietly, but it does play. The file is 696 MB in size, in case that has any bearing on a possible solution.

I am open to most any suggestions.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. - Murphy's Laws of Combat

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 10:58 AM

The format ".mov" is a type of QuickTime format, however not all .mov files are compressed by QuickTime. If the file has been compressed by some sort of a Windos compressor, it's unlikely that the file can work on a Macintosh (without proper codecs, if any).
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

chris_h
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Danometer:
<STRONG>The file is 696 MB in size, in case that has any bearing on a possible solution.
.</STRONG>
696MB? mmhmm...

Sounds to me like you've got a DiVX movie...

I'm assuming you're using OSX... you'll need the DivX codec:
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir....sx_1172.dmg.gz

let me know if this works for ya

-chris

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 02:54 AM

Could it also be a .asf or .mpg as that comes up from time to time as QuickTime doesn't have the Codec..

Tom

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jan 26, 2002, 03:59 AM

I've seen this problem before, and I'm surprised it's happening to two machines at once....

I'm talking about this "unknown format" part. I had to just reinstall all the quicktime files. Also, is this in OS 9 or X? Anyway, I would throw out all your quicktime files, and reinstall them from CD. But first try installing the divx codec
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Danometer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2002, 04:43 AM

If the file was a DivX or MPEG, it should have played. I have DivXs and MPEGs that play just fine (DivX codec version 4.11 alpha for OS 9).

I'm using OS 9.1, I don't quite have the nerve to do the radical jump to OSX until I have to.

I don't know what .asf is. I don't that it is actually a .mov, but the file type is MooV; is the file type assigned from the suffix or vice versa?

I'll try the reinstall of QT in the morning. Thanks for all the suggestions.
No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat. - Murphy's Laws of Combat

<Nap>
Jan 26, 2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Danometer:
<STRONG>If the file was a DivX or MPEG, it should have played. I have DivXs and MPEGs that play just fine (DivX codec version 4.11 alpha for OS 9).

I'm using OS 9.1, I don't quite have the nerve to do the radical jump to OSX until I have to.

I don't know what .asf is. I don't that it is actually a .mov, but the file type is MooV; is the file type assigned from the suffix or vice versa?

I'll try the reinstall of QT in the morning. Thanks for all the suggestions.</STRONG>
In MacOS files from the internet are treated as "Foreign" formats and the FILETYPE and CREATOR codes assigned based on the .extention. ASF and MWV are two proprietary MicroSoft formats used for streaming media and Quicktime cannot play them. WMP for Mac can handle them, however.

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 02:30 PM

.avi is a another format, does this also have problems playing in QuickTime???
as this occurs with mine when visting some sites on the web..

Tom

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2002, 03:08 PM

If I'm not mistaken...

"standard" AVI plays in QuickTime. But Microsofts Winblows adaptation of AVI does not play in QuickTime. You will need a piece of freeware called AVI-to-Quicktime converter.

You see, it's not that the Mac is incompatible with these standards. It is Microsoft that goes out of its way to make sure everything they make is not standards compliant. What a loathsome company!

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

<Nap>
Jan 26, 2002, 03:49 PM

Quicktime understands the avi format fine and creates avi files that can be read in WIndows, so long as the appropriate codec is installed in Windows. The problems many people are having with avi files produced in WIndows playing in Quicktime relates to the use of variable bit rate mp3 encoding, not the avi video portion of the file as such. Quicktime does not play the VBR mp3 tracks, although it plays constant bitrate mp3 tracks fine. Avi files produced in Windows that use uncompressed sound will play fine in Quicktime as long as the right codec is installed in the Mac.
The Mac DivX Player contains a utility called DivX Doctor which somehow converts the problematic VBR mp3 tracks to a form that Quicktime CAN play. The DivX Player is an indispensible app for anyone importing avi files from the internet, since so many of them use that VBR mp3 format. And please note that it is not just DivX avi files that use it. On2VP3 files are also being produced with such sound in Windows and Mac users will have to use the DivX Doctor to correct the audio of those files.
The Mac DivX Player is available at www.mac.st You also need WMP 6.3 for Mac, and a link to it is on that site..
The DivX4.11 decoder for DivX4 and DivX3 files is available at www.divx.com
The On2VP3 codec for Mac is available as a component download in Quicktime 5 if you happen to download such a file

Forum Links
Forum Rules