Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ? Difference in 15" refurbs at Apple online store?

? Difference in 15" refurbs at Apple online store?
fadercraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 05:52 PM

Hi, sorry if the answer is desperatly obvious but...

im about to get a refurbed 15" PB from the online apple store and there are two options.
Only to me they seem fairly identical apart from the onboard ram, original price and video ram.

The sale price is only 50 bucks different...

Can someone explain the differnce? will it matter in the long run? im goning to us the machione for audio running logic to a motu firwire i/o.

thanks in advance

Craig

auero
Mar 14, 2006, 11:35 AM

The $1599 model is the last powerbook revision. The one before that I believe has the dimmer screen, that's another revision back. Get the newer one, it's only $50. I'm waiting for mine as we speak.

fadercraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by auero
The $1599 model is the last powerbook revision. The one before that I believe has the dimmer screen, that's another revision back. Get the newer one, it's only $50. I'm waiting for mine as we speak.
thanks, that did seem to be the way to go, just waiting for confirmation from my friend in the US on the purchase.
Im in New Zealand where everything like this costs about 25% more.
So strangely its way better to order online or get someone to make the purchase.

while i was looking round i also ordered a radtech BT mouse off thier site, the 510. in black of course so it will match my cold dead heart.

cheers
Craig

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006, 08:40 PM

Yeah man.. I saved more than a grand in NZD by buying my PB overseas.. the markup on Apple hardware in NZ is really bad...

Any reason why you'd prefer a PB to a MBP?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2006, 09:43 PM

There's also a difference in screen resolution, with the more expensive 15" having 26% more pixels on the screen.

fadercraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
Yeah man.. I saved more than a grand in NZD by buying my PB overseas.. the markup on Apple hardware in NZ is really bad...

Any reason why you'd prefer a PB to a MBP?

Its kinda stupid, but the no modem thing really bugs me! ok so ill still have my 1ghz g4
but little stuff like that means a lot to me in day to day functionallity

MBP is in a way, a brand new type of machine...my wise partner would say cutting edge is better than bleeding edge.

and of course $400 USD in difference

I kinda find it amusing but i buy lotsa stuff out of the US, even little things cos of the availability and the price advantage. especially for music gear. oh and for a show i ran last year i got the lanyards for the tickets from the US, 30% cheaper landed!

cool. thanks for the opions kids!

should have my new toy in a couple of weeks.!

laters
Craig

john h
Mar 16, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by auero
I have been looking at many stores and on eBay for a good Ti G4 1.67. What I am finding is that the G4's seem to be going up in price not down. The nice ones on eBay are snapped up at new prices. Local CompUSA will not back off retail one penny. MacMall will give you some free RAM but generally speaking the Ti G4 1.67 is still good to go and the price on used ones is rising. I quit bidding at $1875 on one on eBay yesterday and have not even met the minimum.

fadercraig  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 07:48 PM

Yeah i looked at the ebay option but i couldnt see a price advantage, there is at least A level of comfit knowing it comes from the source.

Ive had plenty of good purchases from online auctions - the new zealand one is 'trademe.co.nz' ,which recently got sold to a media company for 700mil. , thats about 440mil USD -

but it felt better getting my friend to make the purchase than ask someone i dont know to ship it over to NZ...that said i got my 1ghz 15" PB off this site a couple of years ago...if your still out there pismo user, thanks!

um conclusion, a good tool will last and some people will know its value.

cheers
Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules