Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Jabra BT250 on Skype on iBook

Jabra BT250 on Skype on iBook
zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2006, 05:58 PM

How to?

I bought a D-Link USB Bluetooth 122 dongle
I am running 10.3.9 on my iBook G4
I have a Jabra BT250
but the BT setup does not have "Headset" on the list...
Que faire? (What to do?)

Noone using a D-Link USB Bluetooth 120 at least?
( Last edited by zubro; Mar 10, 2006 at 09:40 AM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 06:42 AM

Do you have the latest Bluetooth update installed? I think the headset capability was only added with version 1.5. Taken from this Apple technical article :
If you use Bluetooth preferences to pair a headset, the headset choice may not appear in Sound preferences.

To avoid the issue, follow these tips:
  • Use the Bluetooth Setup Assistant to pair the headset to the computer. For best results, do not pair the headset from Bluetooth preferences.
  • In the Setup Assistant, select "headset" as the device you are trying to pair.

If the headset choice is missing in the Setup Assistant:
  • Make sure you have installed Bluetooth 1.5 software or later, and that your Bluetooth adapter's firmware is up to date.
  • To connect the headset to your computer, be sure to use your computer's built-in Bluetooth hardware or a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter.

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks FireWire.

I now have the Bluetooth Setup Assistant 1.5.4 (v1.5.4f6) but still no headset choice...
Would it be due to my OS 10.3.9?

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by zubro
Thanks FireWire.

I now have the Bluetooth Setup Assistant 1.5.4 (v1.5.4f6) but still no headset choice...
Would it be due to my OS 10.3.9?
Hi zubro,
Using the Bluetooth Setup Assistant I paired my Jabra BT500 with my 15" PB running 10.4.4 the other day for the sole purpose of using Skype. It works perfectly - I can now move around my apartment without being attached to my PB via a yard long cable!
On the other hand, if you need to sit at your iBook and your Jabra BT250 is not being recognised in BTSA then there is an alternative method. A company called IPEVO make an excellent Skype certified USB phone that works a treat with Mac OS X. It is the ONLY Skype phone that is Mac compatable - at the moment; it is small and really neat and comes in black or white. I suggest the white one - it will match your iBook!!
You can download the drivers from the IPEVO web-site (www.ipevo.com) before you take delivery of the phone. I paid around £25 for mine .... a good price!
Good luck
voicebox

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2006, 11:46 PM

I use the BT500 - are you sure you are making your headset discoverable before you try and pair it? If you don't press that little button on the headset before you initiate the set up, the computer will not see it and won't pair it.

Uisce

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2006, 05:58 AM

Hurray!
I am one step ahead now!
Do not ask me why but the Setup Assistant Conclusion is now:
"Failed to setup headset. Headsets are not supported on your bluetooth hardware."
Going loco!

On the "Select device type window i still do not have the choice to select: Headset.
But then if I choose: Other Device, I can see the JABRA 250...

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 10:31 AM

Thanks Voicebox and Uisce for your posts.
Do you both run 10.4.x?

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 10:33 AM

double post..
Doh!

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2006, 06:28 PM

I run 10.4.5 now - no BT on my old computer. Also, my BT range is really poor with Skype and my headset - its like three feet max.

Uisce

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2006, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Uisce
I run 10.4.5 now - no BT on my old computer.
That s what I thought.
Would be nice to have a comment of a 10.3 user...

Originally Posted by Uisce
Also, my BT range is really poor with Skype and my headset - its like three feet max.
Ouch! That aint much! :o(

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2006, 10:24 AM

zubro

You're getting the "not suported" error because you bluetooth firmware isn't up to date.

Go to your Utilities folder, and look for a bluetooth firmware updater application and run it. I had the same error on my powerbook with my Motorola BT headset, after running the firmware update...no problems.
I gotta have more cowbell.

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 10:01 AM

now, I even tried to install it all on my girlfriend s HP laptop and the Jabra 250 never came up!...
Is that due to the bluetooth version of this headset?

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer
zubro

You're getting the "not suported" error because you bluetooth firmware isn't up to date.

Go to your Utilities folder, and look for a bluetooth firmware updater application and run it. I had the same error on my powerbook with my Motorola BT headset, after running the firmware update...no problems.
Are you sure?
I did it but still nothing..

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2006, 10:58 PM

If the firmware on you laptop is up to date, then I'm left to assume that your headset may be the culprit. While I'm no expert on bluetooth, I only suggested something that I had troubleshot with my Motorola BT headset, and updating the powerbooks bluetooth firmware solved my particular issue with the same error.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules