Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What does cavalry actually do?

What does cavalry actually do? (Page 2)
von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by deltacav19
wut r u a teacher
im not here to plz any 1 i spell the way i want if u dont like to bad, cry me a river
I don't care how you spell around here. I still think it would be a better idea to learn how to spell before learning how to kill people. Good spelling will benefit you more in the future than knowing how to kill another human being.

But then, if you were the least educated you'd probably not join the military.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

deltacav19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 11:15 AM

relly who exactly how will spelling help me kill some one what am i goin to talk them to death,
a bullet has nothing to do with how to spell a word, and just because u didnt finish high school
and i did and also have 2 years at University Of New Haven, in csi, and crime scene logistics, I'm a sophmore.
dont mean u got to rag on me ok.

point made
[FONT="Century Gothic"]U.S. Army, The most powerful Army in the world!!![/FONT]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 11:19 AM

Wow.

I remember that my teachers would fail papers in high school for spelling errors.

And you're a sophomore?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2006, 11:24 AM

relly who exactly how will spelling help me kill some one what am i goin to talk them to death,
a bullet has nothing to do with how to spell a word, and just because u didnt finish high school
and i did and also have 2 years at University Of New Haven, in csi, and crime scene logistics, I'm a sophmore.

point made

You really didn't get the point did you?

Ah well. Good to know what standard the US military sets for their recruits. As low as ever.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

deltacav19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Wow.

I remember that my teachers would fail papers in high school for spelling errors.

And you're a sophomore?
first of all i dont pay any attention to my typing, if i was writning there would be little to no spelling errors okay firs of all i scored a 91 on the asvab that and i could have went ocs, but i choose to be a reg. grunt to get the respect of my men to exerience the carp they go through first hand and at least try to gain their respect. and you guys pussy footing around saying this and that is bull, just because you dont have the balls to serve your country dont mean you have to jump on mine about it. and you to von what the hell ever, i do get the piont but i still fail to see how its any of your business wut i do with my life sorry , but i will die with honor and u will die a meaningless unfulfilled, life sitting in front of a computer posting piontless replys to forums mocking random kids for joining the army. your fate is far worse then death

im done,you sir are a crakpot and lunatic
( Last edited by deltacav19; Mar 16, 2006 at 02:35 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2006, 02:41 PM

ASVAB is a poor predictor of success in any military career; I know people with across-the-board 90s on the ASVAB who are incapable of being trained not to make messes indoors, and people with 70s and 80s who are absolutely brilliant at what they do.

Further, spelling counts enormously. Anyone above the rank of E1 is expected to be able to express him- or herself sufficiently to get important ideas across to either subordinates or superiors; with your lack of attention to simple spelling conventions, your subordinates will assume you know nothing of value, and your superiors will assume the same AND that you are an idiot as well.

Frankly a lot of officers don't need any help in feeling the enlisted corps is stupid, so this sort of behavior tends to tick me (and a huge number of career enlisted members) clean off. I spent more time than you've been alive on active duty, often serving under people who had LESS education than I did, but who treated me and every other enlisted member as if we were stupid in the extreme. (I also outscored over 95% of Air Force officers ever on the Air Force Officer Qualification Test... twice, but that's a different story.) You are doing nobody, particularly yourself, a favor by practicing such bad habits. Practice GOOD spelling EVERY TIME YOU WRITE ANYTHING, and you will find yourself in a much better position all the time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
No, that's normal. Recruiters give you the basic description of the MOS and they sometimes show you a video. But the odds are that the recruiter doesn't know the inside scoop on each particular MOS unless he happens to be in a related area himself. You kind of go in a little blind and the official descriptions aren't always that helpful.
One thing Army recruiters don't usually mention is that they will guarantee an enlistee "training" in his chosen specialty, but not where he will be used-or in what job. The Army uses people where they need 'em, so you could get that guaranteed training in helicpoter avionics and wind up directing traffic, or in artillery maintenance and wind up digging ditches. Just about the only way to be pretty sure you'll DO what you get training in is to get trained in combatant specialties, particularly the 11-series MOSs. Nothing like saying "Please make me an infantryman!" to get you a guarantee of doing what you're trained for.

I should also point out that most recruiters, regardless of service, know very little about any specialty other than their own (recruiting is a special duty assignment in the Air Force, and something similar to that in the other services). It's retail sales of a high-stakes product, and while Air Force recruiters get trained in how to sell, they don't get trained in what the large number of Air Force specialties DO. In fact most military members have only the sketchiest of ideas of what people in specialties other than their own do. One only learns about the duties, perks and downsides of other jobs by working with and talking with people in those jobs.

Side note: Simey, have you ever seen the "This Sucks" cartoon? Ever found it in some electronic form?(he said, hopingly.) I think it really capsulizes how poorly people in various jobs understand what people in other jobs do.

deltacav19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 03:03 PM

well i do know this i have my contract right her in writing that say i am a cavalry scout 19-d
and im in collage but dont plan on goin to ocs i plan on staying cav as long as i can i want to make sgt. Major of the army before i retire
if i dont then i dont im doing it for the pride like i said earlier

and if u join the d.e.p. now you do get garunteed the job of your chioce if u score high enough on the asvab only because you have to finish school first so they hae to get u a job choosen before u can get sworn in

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2006, 03:22 PM

They will train you in what they contract to. They will USE you where they need people. As a 19D, you will almost certainly be used in what you're trained in-and you will learn all about dust, sand, and mud as well, because you will be where the action is.

And the Sergeant Major of the Army, currently Kenneth O. Preston, has at least the equivalent of a BS in military science. Most Chief Master Sergeants of the Air Force have at least a BS and often a master's in something related to their original specialty (or management). School counts, is important to military career progress, and helps one do one's job better and more efficiently.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 03:29 PM

first of all i dont pay any attention to my typing, if i was writning there would be little to no spelling errors okay

[...]

but i will die with honor and u will die a meaningless unfulfilled, life sitting in front of a computer posting piontless replys to forums mocking random kids for joining the army. your fate is far worse then death

im done,you sir are a crakpot and lunatic
I criticize you for typing incomprehensible gibberish, and you flare out in a huge run-on-sentence rant, DARING to tell me what my life is worth and/or what I've achieved or will achieve, while you happily look forward to "dying with honor", and *I'm* the "crakpot and lunatic"?

With all due respect for someone who's doing something he really believes in:

Stop, take a deep breath, and think for about thirty seconds what you're going to be doing in your job.

Now consider the advantages of people actually being able to UNDERSTAND what the **** you're trying to tell them in the job.

It might just be worth the effort, even if you think you're homefree because you got into "collage".

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 07:29 PM

point made
This is an internet forum and the means of communication here is by text only. As such a major spelling impairment comes out similarily as trying to understand what a hopelessly drunk person is trying to say in a regular conversation.

Especially as you admit that you can spell better (if I understand correctly, but it is pretty hard) then your spelling is nothing but crass and insulting. Don't expect anyone to read what you write if it is as sloppy as thus far. Style and content don't hold hand in hand, true - but one has to be able to read and comprehend the post to begin with, for it is as I wrote in the start. There is just one way of communication here and it is by text.

point made

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2006, 09:28 PM

Take this as a response to several of the above posts. First of all Deltacav: the only number that means anything on your ASVAB is your GT score. Look for that in the string of numbers they gave you. Nobody cares about your overall score, but a GT over 110 will open doors.

Second, your contract guarantees you very little. Look at it closely -- it is full of "needs of the Army" escape clauses. You may well get everything you signed up for, but if you do, it is because you signed up for a shortage MOS. My guess would be that 19D is a shortage MOS, so don't worry too much. Be where you are supposed to be at all times, keep your nose clean, don't hang out with trouble-makers, don't miss formation -- EVER! Don't take drugs -- EVER! Pass all your required tests (especially piss tests!) and don't get fat. Don't lie or get lippy with anyone above you. Treat those below you with respect. Do all those things (and the rest, which you will learn about) and you will do fine.

Also, as far as getting your MOS, sometimes it can be an advantage to have a little wriggle room. I ended up as a mechanized infantryman, but my last duty position was as a driver and bodyguard to a 2 star general. That's really either an MP or a driver position. But they liked me and hired me. It would have been very annoying if I had been prevented from taking it because of my MOS.

On the other hand, when I first signed up for the infantry, I fully expected to go to the 82d Airborne as an 11B, and then immediately to the Gulf (this was in 1990). The reason I expected that was because I already had my jump wings and because of what my recruiter said. He was wrong, and so was I. I ended up jumping out of Bradleys in Louisiana. Why? The needs of the Army. Get used to that phrase because you will encounter it a lot.

That being so, get used to relaxing and going with the flow. The Army is a lot more enjoyable if you can take it with that attitude. Trust me on this. I learned the hard way.

Finally, on your ambition to be SMA. That's nice, but don't forget how many others go in with the same ambition, and there is only one. As it happens, I used to work with someone who made it. I worked in the office next door from the Sergeant Major of the First Armored Division. His name was CSM Jack Tilley, and he became SMA about 5 years later. The thing that stands out in my mind most about Jack is he cared deeply about the soldiers. When and if you become an NCO, try to have the same attitude. It's harder to do than to say because looking out for the welfare of your troops can mean being somewhat unpopular with those above you. Mastering the art of keeping both happy is tough.

Oh, and spelling is a good thing if you want to do well, but you can get by in the Army if you can't. The thing is, though, is that when you start making a little rank the troops will laugh at you if you sound dumb. I remember well a particular drill sergeant in my first AIT who had the reputation for being "illiterate in six different languages." There is a bit of an IQ spread in the Army. The E1 through E4 ranks are generally very smart. So is anyone above E-9. But some E-5s through E-8s (the career NCOs who haven't met the biggest retirement cut yet) can be awfully dumb.

One last thought. Watch the movie "Stripes" before you go. It's filmed at the reception station at Fort Knox.
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Mar 16, 2006 at 09:43 PM. )

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Perhaps you should spend more time learning proper spelling before you learn how to kill people?
And maybe you had reached the level of personal development that was the envy of the world before you learned to kill? Swedish Air Force Rangers, right? Quite nice of you to share the wisdom of your experience though.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:50 AM

I don't care how you spell around here. I still think it would be a better idea to learn how to spell before learning how to kill people. Good spelling will benefit you more in the future than knowing how to kill another human being.

But then, if you were the least educated you'd probably not join the military.
WOW! Imagine using your high powered education to beat up on a kid who is doing nothing more than what YOU did when you were young. Does the word HYPOCRITE ring a bell for you?

Or are you just trying to dissuade an American going into the military the same way I'd be trying to dissuade a Muslim youth from becoming a martyr?

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:52 AM

Wow.

And you're a sophomore?
And your flawed judgment MORE than offsets any of your education. Does the phrase, "Educated Fool" push your button? I'm sure you've heard it many times before at least in people's whispers and giggles.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:55 AM

You really didn't get the point did you?

Ah well. Good to know what standard the US military sets for their recruits. As low as ever.
That's low. Even for you. ESPECIALLY FOR YOU.

RACIST!

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
ASVAB is a poor predictor of success in any military career; I know people with across-the-board 90s on the ASVAB who are incapable of being trained not to make messes indoors, and people with 70s and 80s who are absolutely brilliant at what they do.

Further, spelling counts enormously. Anyone above the rank of E1 is expected to be able to express him- or herself sufficiently to get important ideas across to either subordinates or superiors; with your lack of attention to simple spelling conventions, your subordinates will assume you know nothing of value, and your superiors will assume the same AND that you are an idiot as well.

Frankly a lot of officers don't need any help in feeling the enlisted corps is stupid, so this sort of behavior tends to tick me (and a huge number of career enlisted members) clean off. I spent more time than you've been alive on active duty, often serving under people who had LESS education than I did, but who treated me and every other enlisted member as if we were stupid in the extreme. (I also outscored over 95% of Air Force officers ever on the Air Force Officer Qualification Test... twice, but that's a different story.) You are doing nobody, particularly yourself, a favor by practicing such bad habits. Practice GOOD spelling EVERY TIME YOU WRITE ANYTHING, and you will find yourself in a much better position all the time.
Way to go gh. That's what a leader does to a young guy about to go into the service.

Just when I was starting to warm up to you and now you remind me of why I haven't. That stinks.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 01:05 AM

I criticize you for typing incomprehensible gibberish, and you flare out in a huge run-on-sentence rant, DARING to tell me what my life is worth and/or what I've achieved or will achieve, while you happily look forward to "dying with honor", and *I'm* the "crakpot and lunatic"?

With all due respect for someone who's doing something he really believes in:

Stop, take a deep breath, and think for about thirty seconds what you're going to be doing in your job.

Now consider the advantages of people actually being able to UNDERSTAND what the **** you're trying to tell them in the job.

It might just be worth the effort, even if you think you're homefree because you got into "collage".
I'm sorry I only this evening came back to this thread. It's like you guys are jackals and are just tearing him apart because you can't take on anyone else one on one and get a clean kill so you gang up on deltacav19 to get your rocks off.

You make me sick.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
This is an internet forum and the means of communication here is by text only. As such a major spelling impairment comes out similarily as trying to understand what a hopelessly drunk person is trying to say in a regular conversation.

Especially as you admit that you can spell better (if I understand correctly, but it is pretty hard) then your spelling is nothing but crass and insulting. Don't expect anyone to read what you write if it is as sloppy as thus far. Style and content don't hold hand in hand, true - but one has to be able to read and comprehend the post to begin with, for it is as I wrote in the start. There is just one way of communication here and it is by text.

point made

cheers

W-Y
Don't you think the point was made earlier? Oh, that's right. It takes you a while to catch on to things. Sorry. At least I'll show you some compassion in that regard, which is more than I'm seeing from von, anal and gh.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 01:18 AM

Take this as a response to several of the above posts. First of all Deltacav: the only number that means anything on your ASVAB is your GT score. Look for that in the string of numbers they gave you. Nobody cares about your overall score, but a GT over 110 will open doors.

Second, your contract guarantees you very little. Look at it closely -- it is full of "needs of the Army" escape clauses. You may well get everything you signed up for, but if you do, it is because you signed up for a shortage MOS. My guess would be that 19D is a shortage MOS, so don't worry too much. Be where you are supposed to be at all times, keep your nose clean, don't hang out with trouble-makers, don't miss formation -- EVER! Don't take drugs -- EVER! Pass all your required tests (especially piss tests!) and don't get fat. Don't lie or get lippy with anyone above you. Treat those below you with respect. Do all those things (and the rest, which you will learn about) and you will do fine.

Also, as far as getting your MOS, sometimes it can be an advantage to have a little wriggle room. I ended up as a mechanized infantryman, but my last duty position was as a driver and bodyguard to a 2 star general. That's really either an MP or a driver position. But they liked me and hired me. It would have been very annoying if I had been prevented from taking it because of my MOS.

On the other hand, when I first signed up for the infantry, I fully expected to go to the 82d Airborne as an 11B, and then immediately to the Gulf (this was in 1990). The reason I expected that was because I already had my jump wings and because of what my recruiter said. He was wrong, and so was I. I ended up jumping out of Bradleys in Louisiana. Why? The needs of the Army. Get used to that phrase because you will encounter it a lot.

That being so, get used to relaxing and going with the flow. The Army is a lot more enjoyable if you can take it with that attitude. Trust me on this. I learned the hard way.

Finally, on your ambition to be SMA. That's nice, but don't forget how many others go in with the same ambition, and there is only one. As it happens, I used to work with someone who made it. I worked in the office next door from the Sergeant Major of the First Armored Division. His name was CSM Jack Tilley, and he became SMA about 5 years later. The thing that stands out in my mind most about Jack is he cared deeply about the soldiers. When and if you become an NCO, try to have the same attitude. It's harder to do than to say because looking out for the welfare of your troops can mean being somewhat unpopular with those above you. Mastering the art of keeping both happy is tough.

Oh, and spelling is a good thing if you want to do well, but you can get by in the Army if you can't. The thing is, though, is that when you start making a little rank the troops will laugh at you if you sound dumb. I remember well a particular drill sergeant in my first AIT who had the reputation for being "illiterate in six different languages." There is a bit of an IQ spread in the Army. The E1 through E4 ranks are generally very smart. So is anyone above E-9. But some E-5s through E-8s (the career NCOs who haven't met the biggest retirement cut yet) can be awfully dumb.

One last thought. Watch the movie "Stripes" before you go. It's filmed at the reception station at Fort Knox.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by abe
I'm sorry I only this evening came back to this thread. It's like you guys are jackals and are just tearing him apart because you can't take on anyone else one on one and get a clean kill so you gang up on deltacav19 to get your rocks off.

You make me sick.
Well, I will take anyone on one on one... and not just here in this fictitious world that is the internet (where nothing matters for real anyway), or in real life in full contact comps... either is fine for me.

Having said that...

I just cannot applaud someone who, in the same paragraph, states he is doing things for pride, but spells "what" as "wut".... multiple times:

nope i enlisted for wut i knew already my whole family including my mom hsa served our country, i knew wut a cav scout was i just wanted a little more info my recruiter couldn't provied they all do now exactly everything, im not doing it for the money, im not doing it for ne one, im doing it for pride, courage, and because as much as sometime i hate wut goes on in this country i love it, i was rasied here and i will defend it till death. im not just some stupid 19 year old who is niave to wut goes on around me, i scord a 98 on the asvab, and i have studied extensively every war up to the conflict in iraq, i know exactly what i was thinking i was just askin for a little more info form some one who trained the same mos i will be traning
Then, in another post, he starts talking about "his men" going through fish:

first of all i dont pay any attention to my typing, if i was writning there would be little to no spelling errors okay firs of all i scored a 91 on the asvab that and i could have went ocs, but i choose to be a reg. grunt to get the respect of my men to exerience the carp they go through first hand and at least try to gain their respect. and you guys pussy footing around saying this and that is bull, just because you dont have the balls to serve your country dont mean you have to jump on mine about it. and you to von what the hell ever, i do get the piont but i still fail to see how its any of your business wut i do with my life sorry , but i will die with honor and u will die a meaningless unfulfilled, life sitting in front of a computer posting piontless replys to forums mocking random kids for joining the army. your fate is far worse then death
Then, he starts talking about how he is in an art project:

well i do know this i have my contract right her in writing that say i am a cavalry scout 19-d
and im in collage but dont plan on goin to ocs i plan on staying cav as long as i can i want to make sgt. Major of the army before i retire
if i dont then i dont im doing it for the pride like i said earlier
Abe, here is my thought on the matter:

A soldier should not just be someone who is proud of their country, but someone who their country is proud of.

That means someone who takes pride in themselves to do the very best job they can, in whatever they endeavor.

We are talking about dedication and work ethic here.

Neither of which is evident in this person's posts.

deltacav19, I applaud your desire to serve your nation.

I am saddened by your complete lack of effort to converse maturely in this written medium.

Finally, as to this comment:

you guys pussy footing around saying this and that is bull, just because you dont have the balls to serve your country dont mean you have to jump on mine about it. and you to von what the hell ever, i do get the piont but i still fail to see how its any of your business wut i do with my life sorry , but i will die with honor and u will die a meaningless unfulfilled, life sitting in front of a computer posting piontless replys to forums mocking random kids for joining the army. your fate is far worse then death
Your insinuation that a person will die a meaningless, unfulfilled life if they don't serve only confirms to me that you have a lot of growing up to do. Watch a couple of hundred people die after spending their lives working to care for their loved ones, and then go to their funerals and tell the mourners that their lives were meaningless.

I hate to tell you, but if I looked at you with the attitude you have presented here, and at my garbageman who works two jobs to save for his daughter's wedding.... well, let's just say that my garbageman wins the honor contest.

If I have misread you, then I apologize. Unfortunately, people can only judge you based on the image you put forth. My opinion of you is that of a person who does not understand the real world at all.

Maybe your military service will help you grow up.

Be safe.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by James L
Well, I will take anyone on one on one... and not just here in this fictitious world that is the internet (where nothing matters for real anyway), or in real life in full contact comps... either is fine for me.

Having said that...

I just cannot applaud someone who, in the same paragraph, states he is doing things for pride, but spells "what" as "wut".... multiple times:
You are a fine one to talk! Your posts are replete with misuses of words and misspellings and now YOU cahn't applaud someone who spells hat as wut? Who the Fx do you think you are? Actually, we all see WHAT you are. A leeeetle leeeetle man who has managed to squirm through life to have some semblance of self esteem. But the fear still lives within you. And when you think no one is looking or no one can defend themselves you prey upon them. Well, guess what, pal? You are naked before the world. Shivering and cowardly. Now, go ahead and tell us how you are a martial artist. But somehow that doesn't seem to bring you serenity. And then tell us all the good and noble things you do for humanity. And yet it impresses other more than it makes you feel whole. And then tell us how much you support the United States' NOBLE TROOPS who are fighting in the war on terror and we'll see right through that, too, bucko.

Because here is a guy about to join those noble men and women and you treat him with such blatant contempt and disregard? You are a sham. Your suck up words toward the American fighting men? Another sham.

Abe, here is my thought on the matter:

A soldier should not just be someone who is proud of their country, but someone who their country is proud of.

That means someone who takes pride in themselves to do the very best job they can, in whatever they endeavor.

We are talking about dedication and work ethic here.

Neither of which is evident in this person's posts.

deltacav19, I applaud your desire to serve your nation.

I am saddened by your complete lack of effort to converse maturely in this written medium.

Finally, as to this comment:

Your insinuation that a person will die a meaningless, unfulfilled life if they don't serve only confirms to me that you have a lot of growing up to do. Watch a couple of hundred people die after spending their lives working to care for their loved ones, and then go to their funerals and tell the mourners that their lives were meaningless.

I hate to tell you, but if I looked at you with the attitude you have presented here, and at my garbageman who works two jobs to save for his daughter's wedding.... well, let's just say that my garbageman wins the honor contest.

If I have misread you, then I apologize. Unfortunately, people can only judge you based on the image you put forth. My opinion of you is that of a person who does not understand the real world at all.

Maybe your military service will help you grow up.

Be safe.
You are using him to get to me, I suspect. You are a half a man. A sick, shallow, scared, mediocre man who has to continually USE the poor people who he administers to to buoy his own trembling sense of personal inadequacy. (Go ahead now and make a list of ALL the things which make you reason makes you better than the sniveling masochist you show yourself to be!)

Too bad you never had the stones to step up and serve Canada's military, or were you just too damn mediocre to pass the entrance exams?

Then, after you smack the man down and you kick him while he's down, you apologize? You know that's just an attempt to weasel out of him harboring hard feelings toward you. You can't have that, can you?

Tell us all how noble you were by ACTUALLY GOING TO GROUND ZERO and how said a prayer for our dead and by doing so you honored them.

NOTHING you could do could add or detract from their sacrifice, jerk. But once again we see how petty you are.

I'll quit now before I get angry.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 04:41 AM

Oh and James L, you can forget about ever having a beer with me.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN

Today, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Dude,

if you ever come to Vancouver and I am in town, you have to let me buy you a beer.

I think I have enjoyed butting heads with you more than anyone in the history of the internet. Even when I totally disagree with you (which is 99% of the time), ya make laugh sometimes.

Cheers,

James
In this PM to me you wrote the above. But, it should have been "ya make ME laugh sometimes."

I can't applaud someone who omits words in sentences.

Although as an indication of how you feel about yourself that you'd omit the word, "me" from a sentence it's really kinda sad.

Don't you think?

deltacav19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 05:33 AM

hey, okay, i didn't mean to start a fight in here, all im doing is try to express my point, and i my have gotten carried away, but it still dosen't excuse half of what was said to me,
(simey my line scores on the test as follows: GT 121, GM 113, EL 111, CL 99, MM 98, SC 108, CO 113, FA 111, OF 113, ST 108 and my AIM 66 and AFQT 67 so i know i did good and my enlistment is for 3 years 18 weeks, with 8 years reserve, and i go in as an E-2 for taking some test i dont remember what it was though! The good thing about my recuiter is i've known him since i was a child and hes a family friend. I know recuiters are supposed to tell you what you want to hear but he has been honest with me Bcause my farther was hometown recuiter and confirmed everything he told me.) Now back to point, take it easy ok im only 19 i many not know as much as you guys but im trying. I dont mean to sound common but my life has been kind rough, dont think for a second im using it as a scapegoat, but i am doin my damnedest okay so take a pill and ****in chill.
I dont ask for u to support what im doing, everyone can say what they want, the only support i expect is from my family. this calling has been in my family since World War 1,
my mom served, my dad, my 4 uncles, my aunt, my two grandfathers, hell even my grand mothers played a part in making parts for b-17's, My brother and I both were born on military bases. again i meat no offense i was trying to defend myself.

but i can tell you this much i will accomplish my goals and i'll do it damn good. weather i have respect form others or not. i will be a good man even if it kills me.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 06:29 AM

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2006, 07:39 AM

hey, okay, i didn't mean to start a fight in here, all im doing is try to express my point, and i my have gotten carried away, but it still dosen't excuse half of what was said to me,
(simey my line scores on the test as follows: GT 121, GM 113, EL 111, CL 99, MM 98, SC 108, CO 113, FA 111, OF 113, ST 108 and my AIM 66 and AFQT 67 so i know i did good and my enlistment is for 3 years 18 weeks, with 8 years reserve, and i go in as an E-2 for taking some test i dont remember what it was though!
You will probably do fine. Just a word of caution: The guy in my basic training platoon with the highest GT (around your number) flunked out of basic. In fact, he was the only one to flunk basic. He managed to flunk even though he tried, and even though an overweight rock from Brooklyn managed to graduate. He just had no coordination at all. He couldn't even do a left face (and I know, I tried tutoring him). True story. Weird. But true.

Recruiters, in my experience, do not lie. It's just that you don't yet have the context to fully understand the truth they are telling you. You will get a lot of "oh, so that's what he meant" moments later on. Also, recruiters only have the experience from their own careers. The Army is a big place, and a recruiter who is, say, a supply clerk can't tell you much about being a cav scout. Or vice versa.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 17, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Way to go gh. That's what a leader does to a young guy about to go into the service.

Just when I was starting to warm up to you and now you remind me of why I haven't. That stinks.
The worst thing anyone can do to a young person who wants to serve is to help him or her believe all the "Private Benjamin" stuff they've been told. Army basic is really tough, and having an idea that you can "be yourself" no matter what (mouthing off to whomever, just like in most college classrooms) or that your test scores make you "special" is a good way to have a very short career. In spite of low recruitment numbers, none of the services has the least problem in booting a kid who shows no ability to conform to the military way of life, and it's really easy to tick off the DI enough to wind up booted for failure to adjust.

Deltacav's apparently already contracturally committed to enlistment. This is the time to lay it out; they told him a lot of stuff, now he needs to know what part applies to him, what doesn't, and most importantly, what they didn't say.

As for ambition, note that I didn't at all discourage anything he said. Instead, I pointed out that his ambitions would be better served by more attention to detail, particularly in communicating. And I said not one thing untrue about inter-rank politics; they even used to TEACH Army officers that enlisted men were "stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching." And a lot of college graduates feel superior to non-graduates anyway. If you make that "college" a prestigious and highly competitive institution, that feeling tends to be amplified.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by abe
A leeeetle leeeetle man who has managed to squirm through life to have some semblance of self esteem. But the fear still lives within you. And when you think no one is looking or no one can defend themselves you prey upon them. Well, guess what, pal? You are naked before the world. Shivering and cowardly. Now, go ahead and tell us how you are a martial artist. But somehow that doesn't seem to bring you serenity. And then tell us all the good and noble things you do for humanity. And yet it impresses other more than it makes you feel whole. And then tell us how much you support the United States' NOBLE TROOPS who are fighting in the war on terror and we'll see right through that, too, bucko.

Because here is a guy about to join those noble men and women and you treat him with such blatant contempt and disregard? You are a sham. Your suck up words toward the American fighting men? Another sham.
Abe, you are an internet warrior to the nth degree. We live very close together, and anytime you want to get away from the internet and come up to my world, you are more than welcome.

You are using him to get to me, I suspect.
Ah, now the truth comes out.

As usual, you think everything revolves around you.

Abe, the center of the universe.

Your reply had little to do with deltacav19, and a lot to do with you, I suspect.

Sorry dude, you just aren't that important.

You are a half a man. A sick, shallow, scared, mediocre man who has to continually USE the poor people who he administers to to buoy his own trembling sense of personal inadequacy. (Go ahead now and make a list of ALL the things which make you reason makes you better than the sniveling masochist you show yourself to be!)

Too bad you never had the stones to step up and serve Canada's military, or were you just too damn mediocre to pass the entrance exams?
I serve the people of Canada everyday. I work with the military often. How do YOU contribute to society, besides your current average of 53 posts per day on this internet forum?

Factoring in time spent reading, surfing for your links and song lyrics, and posting, that is what? 4 hours or more per day you spend on this internet forum?

Thanks for the societal contribution.

I'll quit now before I get angry.
Right, because we wouldn't want to see you get angry. You might type harder on your keyboard or something.

Weather.com is forecasting sun early next week in your neck of the woods. You really should think about going outside sometime.... it may be good for you.

to those who have tried to explain to deltacav why communication skills are so important when serving in the military.

to Abe for thinking that someone's reply to this thread was about him. Selfish.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Oh and James L, you can forget about ever having a beer with me.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about. Many of the disagreements you are seeing here are old.

and my enlistment is for 3 years 18 weeks, with 8 years reserve
A quick question, do all enlistments in the US military include reserve time at the end, or is that an option when you are signing up?

I dont ask for u to support what im doing
I think everyone here supports what you are doing. I don't think you will find someone here who doesn't applaud someone entering the military and serving.

but i can tell you this much i will accomplish my goals and i'll do it damn good.
As I said before, be safe.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:43 PM

The worst thing anyone can do to a young person who wants to serve is to help him or her believe all the "Private Benjamin" stuff they've been told. Army basic is really tough, and having an idea that you can "be yourself" no matter what (mouthing off to whomever, just like in most college classrooms) or that your test scores make you "special" is a good way to have a very short career. In spite of low recruitment numbers, none of the services has the least problem in booting a kid who shows no ability to conform to the military way of life, and it's really easy to tick off the DI enough to wind up booted for failure to adjust.

Deltacav's apparently already contracturally committed to enlistment. This is the time to lay it out; they told him a lot of stuff, now he needs to know what part applies to him, what doesn't, and most importantly, what they didn't say.

As for ambition, note that I didn't at all discourage anything he said. Instead, I pointed out that his ambitions would be better served by more attention to detail, particularly in communicating. And I said not one thing untrue about inter-rank politics; they even used to TEACH Army officers that enlisted men were "stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching." And a lot of college graduates feel superior to non-graduates anyway. If you make that "college" a prestigious and highly competitive institution, that feeling tends to be amplified.
Maybe I posted a bit rashly.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 02:46 PM

Abe, you are an internet warrior to the nth degree. We live very close together, and anytime you want to get away from the internet and come up to my world, you are more than welcome.

Ah, now the truth comes out.

As usual, you think everything revolves around you.

Abe, the center of the universe.

Your reply had little to do with deltacav19, and a lot to do with you, I suspect.

Sorry dude, you just aren't that important.

I serve the people of Canada everyday. I work with the military often. How do YOU contribute to society, besides your current average of 53 posts per day on this internet forum?

Factoring in time spent reading, surfing for your links and song lyrics, and posting, that is what? 4 hours or more per day you spend on this internet forum?

Thanks for the societal contribution.

Right, because we wouldn't want to see you get angry. You might type harder on your keyboard or something.

Weather.com is forecasting sun early next week in your neck of the woods. You really should think about going outside sometime.... it may be good for you.

to those who have tried to explain to deltacav why communication skills are so important when serving in the military.

to Abe for thinking that someone's reply to this thread was about him. Selfish.
If I have misread you, then I apologize.
Ditto.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Marine Recon: Follows snake, gets lost.
I'll be taking exception to at particular aspect of the snake model, thank you very much.

All this talk about recruiters and what not reminds me of boot. DI tells this kid he's going to some utilities school. Kid says "But my recruiter said I was going to be a Rifleman." DI screams "EVERY MARINE IS A RIFLEMAN RETARD. *LOOKS LEFT, LOOKS RIGHT* AND I DON'T SEE YOUR ****ING RECRUITER HERE". Ha. Have fun being an 11, jackass.

deltacav, like it or not, there is more to being a soldier than pasting people. Everyone you come in contact with will base their feelings about the Army, and more than likely the US, on your deportment. Act ignorant, and the image you project apply to all your bros. in green. The first lesson in this is the fact that a dude in Germany and another dude in Iceland just very correctly pointed out that you are projecting the wrong image. Now they won't be the least bit surprised if a picture of you turns up on CNN giving the thumbs up to a naked pyramid.

To quote Dean Venture, "I dare you to make less sense!"
Nemo me impune lacesset

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2006, 04:48 PM

A quick question, do all enlistments in the US military include reserve time at the end, or is that an option when you are signing up?
Yes and no, but he is a little confused on the details. When you enlist, it is under the Selective Service Act. All initial enlistments are for 8 years. You can take different options that determine how much of that 8 years is spent in what capacity. You can be active duty, active reserve (when you have to drill monthly with a unit and can be activated with your unit), or individual ready reserve (when you can be called back up, but do not actively drill unless called up).

So when someone signs up for 4 years of active duty, they are really signing up for 4 years active, and 4 years reserve (active or inactive, your choice). Or, of course, you could do 4 years active, and reenlist for 4 years, in which case at the end of the 8 years you will have fulfilled your commitment, which means you cannot under existing law be called up again. No matter what, you have at least an 8 year commitment. But no more than 8 years unless you reup at the end of your 8 years.

The above is only for enlisted troops. The rules are different for officers, depending on how they are commissioned. I am not so familiar with those rules since I was enlisted.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
I'll be taking exception to at particular aspect of the snake model, thank you very much.
So noted.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2006, 10:09 PM

I just ran across this once very popular quote which, I feel, deserves to be posted anew.

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 10:31 PM

My step-father was in the cavalry, the *real* cavalry. He was one of the horse-mounted Border Troopers in West Germany during the early 60s--He got out of the Army as an LT in 62. He had some great stories about being on patrol in the woods for l-o-n-g periods of time without a lot of supervision. It's amazing how easy it was to, oops, cross into East Germany on horse-back for a look-around. He liked it a lot but when they disbanded the horse-mounted units he left--He was a horseman first, soldier second and continued to ride until a few months before he died. His grand-father was a Chef de Train in WWI; They transported horses all over Europe in rail-cars.

His kids--we were all grown up and out of the house before our parents got married--are/were both military. The son went to the Air Force Academy and left after his eight years--I think he did SIGINT stuff. The daughter got her law degree and did corporate practice for a number of years before joining the Air Force. She is a Lt. Col. in JAG at the Pentagon and her husband is retired Army (Captain in the Signal Corps). You should have seen the two of them in their dress uniforms when they buried my step-father at Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, what an impressive site they were. All the soldiers in the rifle volley (?) came over afterwards to shake their hands and offer condolences.

That's my cavalry story.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 11:24 PM

Yes and no, but he is a little confused on the details. When you enlist, it is under the Selective Service Act. All initial enlistments are for 8 years. You can take different options that determine how much of that 8 years is spent in what capacity. You can be active duty, active reserve (when you have to drill monthly with a unit and can be activated with your unit), or individual ready reserve (when you can be called back up, but do not actively drill unless called up).

So when someone signs up for 4 years of active duty, they are really signing up for 4 years active, and 4 years reserve (active or inactive, your choice). Or, of course, you could do 4 years active, and reenlist for 4 years, in which case at the end of the 8 years you will have fulfilled your commitment, which means you cannot under existing law be called up again. No matter what, you have at least an 8 year commitment. But no more than 8 years unless you reup at the end of your 8 years.

The above is only for enlisted troops. The rules are different for officers, depending on how they are commissioned. I am not so familiar with those rules since I was enlisted.
Thanks Simey!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Maybe I posted a bit rashly.
There's an old adage in the military that I first saw in relation to being assigned to Korea (but probably came from the Roman Legions): "If you ain't been there, you don't know ****." There is a whole lot that even "short timers," people who serve a few years on active duty, don't learn about the military and how it works; it's not at all uncommon for non-military people to have not the slightest clue what happens between Johnny getting his first haircut and retiring. Within the services there is a similar lack of knowledge about what the other services do unless you come across the rare individuals who have actually served with members of other services. And within each service you can find people with no clue what the person next to them at the dining hall does day to day.

In other words, I learned a long time ago that it's important to warn people that the stuff on the label does not necessarily equate to what you believe it means. When you buy a house, the sales dude is not going to tell you about the last three complaints new buyers have had over construction details, not if he wants to sell the house to you anyway. And it's the same with military recruiters.

One really has to get in the door and do stuff before one learns anything useful about how military organizations work, and then one only must learn the minimum to get along. In over 23 years of active service, I was priveledged to work with a huge range of people from all the services in a number of capacities, and thus I learned a lot more than the average Airman-or for that matter more than the average Chief Master Sergeant. And while I'm retired, I still feel the need to mentor young people who have decided that service is their course to follow, whether for a few years or a lifetime, so when the situation calls for it, I do.

I wasn't particularly miffed at your post, but it's important when one falls into jargon among others who don't understand it to fall back and explain oneself, much like when one meets someone else who speaks a different language at a party and fades off into a discussion in that language, leaving everyone else in the group wondering what's going on. I should have appologized for that in my "advice-laden" post.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2006, 12:20 PM

In over 23 years of active service, I was priveledged to work with a huge range of people from all the services in a number of capacities, and thus I learned a lot more than the average Airman-or for that matter more than the average Chief Master Sergeant. And while I'm retired, I still feel the need to mentor young people who have decided that service is their course to follow, whether for a few years or a lifetime, so when the situation calls for it, I do.
Yes, but, you were in the Air force. We are talking about the military here.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2006, 12:34 PM

Cute, Simey, cute....

deltacav19
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2006, 02:54 AM

hey i posted very rashley quite a few times and might have offende a few, again i'm sorry.
and i would also like to thank you guys for the post in return, they gave me alot to think about. simey, gh, abe, von and james thank you. i'm not try to do it to kill im doing it for the brothers and sisters i will gain in the end, a family that the bond once made hopefully is almost impossible to break. i'm just a kid lookin for support on a very tough choice i made where ever i can find any. my family although military didn't show much and the only people that have shown any even if harsh at times, was you guys and my ex-girlfriend and her mom and dad. and i respect it.

thank you very much and good luck to you guys, and i will not let you down.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 03:34 AM

hey i posted very rashley quite a few times and might have offende a few, again i'm sorry.
and i would also like to thank you guys for the post in return, they gave me alot to think about. simey, gh, abe, von and james thank you. i'm not try to do it to kill im doing it for the brothers and sisters i will gain in the end, a family that the bond once made hopefully is almost impossible to break. i'm just a kid lookin for support on a very tough choice i made where ever i can find any. my family although military didn't show much and the only people that have shown any even if harsh at times, was you guys and my ex-girlfriend and her mom and dad. and i respect it.

Classy post.

I wish you the best.

James L

Edit: I hope you know that everyone here is proud of your decision to serve. I think most people (well, at least me) want their soldiers to be strong communicators, and respectful of those they protect. Keep in touch when you can, and let us know how things are going.
( Last edited by James L; Mar 19, 2006 at 03:40 AM. )

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 11:34 AM

When called upon by country, conscience and circumstance to stand up in support of America, history will show some people stood up and answered the call.

Every man and woman who takes the oath and contributes their skills and efforts in any of the hundreds of vitally necessary jobs in the military helps keep America strong.

That any would choose to do so in times of crisis shows a particular strength of character.

That they would enlist their efforts to help others achieve what we already enjoy is a particularly American value.

Dude, you deserve our respect.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 11:36 AM

killergator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 09:08 PM

Cavalry,
The Mighty cavalry.
Late at night while your sleeping
Cavalry scouts come a creeping all around.

19 Delta Huah!

Cavalry scouts are recon and force in place troops who often do other tasks such as guard duty. Haven't seen too many 19 delta's in M1's. Most call a Bradley or Humvee home. They also operate as dismounted troops. Basic and Ait are all rolled up into one gruelling 16 week course called OSUT - One station Unit training. It involved a lot of road humping(marching) and P.T. as well as plenty of classroom work learning every skill required for the M.O.S. This included Mop gear training, marksmanship, First aid, navigation, live fire exercises and improvised anti-tank munitions construction and demolition. There is more but you get the idea. There were tests for every phase of training and failure usually meant being recycled (starting training over again from the begining) I didn't recycle, but I know many who did. Went through osut at Fort Knox. Delta 5-15
There is a lot of tradition and pride for a Cavalry Scout. Being the eyes and ears of command comes with a lot of responsibility. Cav Scouts don't sleep much, but the rewards are great and the bonds created among the members of this elite group usually last a life time. The most dangerous thing about being a cav scout is that you are usually between 19 kilos(tank jockeys) and the enemy.
Most of the meat and potato's of being a cavalry scout involves working at night. Thats when cav scouts go out and do recon(after a full day's work - thus not much sleep). Primary engagement is sometimes an option, but more times than most, engagement is undertaken in unison with the division forces after reporting strength and postion. The 25 mm canon on the Bradley is called a bushmaster canon and it's quite a nice weapon. It can fire both conventional and high explosive rounds. H.E. exercises were always a blast - pardon the pun - but watching things go boom was always a personal thrill. There are many books out there that describe life as a cav scout. It's an exciting life and exciting job. Most of the books can paint a fair picture of the M.O.S. One suggestion for anyone looking at becoming a 19 Delta, don't plan to see your family much during your enlistment/career. Cav Scouts are always training or being deployed over seas.
If you ain't a Gator...You're Gatorbait

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by macvillage.net View Post
Thanks for the info

Good thread.
Agreed. Kudos for a civil, interesting thread in the war/pol lounge.

Edit: Even if the fresh-faced recruit (literally) managed to destroy it. And even if it was dug up

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules