Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clone for new PB Ti 167

Clone for new PB Ti 167
john h
Mar 17, 2006, 12:48 PM

I am about to purchase a new Ti Powerbook 1.67. I have a Ti Powerbook 867 which the HD has been cloned to an external drive. I like the way my current PB is set up and both computers are running 10.4.5. Is there any reason I should not just clone my old PB 867 drive to my new PB 1.67? I assume the short name and admin setting would all transfer as is?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by john h
I am about to purchase a new Ti Powerbook 1.67. I have a Ti Powerbook 867 which the HD has been cloned to an external drive. I like the way my current PB is set up and both computers are running 10.4.5. Is there any reason I should not just clone my old PB 867 drive to my new PB 1.67? I assume the short name and admin setting would all transfer as is?

Best way is to clean install Tiger and use migration assistant to transfer.... since there may be varriants in OSX install.

john h  (op)
Mar 20, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
Best way is to clean install Tiger and use migration assistant to transfer.... since there may be varriants in OSX install.
Thanks I may go that route. I noticed that with the new Intel Mac Mini they mentioned that it's OS X was some variation of the regular OS X. I have no idea what that means other than you probably cannot use a regular OS X disc with it.

john h  (op)
Mar 30, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by john h
Thanks I may go that route. I noticed that with the new Intel Mac Mini they mentioned that it's OS X was some variation of the regular OS X. I have no idea what that means other than you probably cannot use a regular OS X disc with it.
Got the new computer and decided to try the clone from my old G4 Ti PB. All went well and it took me all of about an hour while I drank some coffee.

I thought if it did not go well I could always just restore the new computer to its original factory condition by using the new install DVD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules