Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Incompetent

Incompetent
Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 04:50 AM

Anyone see the results of the recent Pew Poll?

Asked to describe George Bush in a single word, the top 4 responses from Americans in order of most responses were.

1. "Incompetent"
2. "Good"
3. "Idiot"
4. "Liar"

In the previous polls (February and July 2005), the top response was "Honest". That entry has slipped down to number 6.
http://people-press.org/reports/disp...3?ReportID=271

P.S. To head off the insults at the pass, I'm anti-Bush not anti-American.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Troll

Asked to describe George Bush in a single word, the top 4 responses from Americans in order of most responses were.

1. "Incompetent"
2. "Good"
3. "Idiot"
4. "Liar"

In the previous polls (February and July 2005), the top response was "Honest". That entry has slipped down to number 6.

Judging by the nature of many of your posts one might conclude you were anti-Jane Austen.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 05:06 AM

He's a good idiot, but an incompetent liar.

More seriously though, there's something that strikes me as odd about this poll.

Maybe because they report the actual number of responses, rather than percentages.

The top response only represents 4% of the people questioned. With that being the general margin of error in a more standard poll, it makes me doubt the value of the whole concept.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 05:15 AM

Yeah, to be sure, all polls are worth as much as the paper they're written on. It is interesting though to note the shift from honest to incompetent. All in all though, I'm not much of a poll person meself.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Judging by the nature of many of your posts one might conclude you were anti-Jane Austen.
And the point in this post would be what exactly?

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 05:24 AM

And the point in this post would be what exactly?
Just poking fun at a friendly Frenchie by implying your posts often lack sense or sensibility.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 05:37 AM

You're not the one to talk, Aberdeen.

...seriously.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
You're not the one to talk, Aberdeen.

...seriously.
I dropped out of the 10th grade. I'm mood disordered and my posts reflect my wide swings.

Just how would you characterize Troll's?

And then we'll do you.

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Just poking fun at a friendly Frenchie by implying your posts often lack sense or sensibility.
After the lunacy of your foreign agent conspiracy and your rants about advertising, do you really think anyone considers you fit to judge what makes sense?

This thread has a clear subject. If you aren't going to post anything on topic, could you perhaps just not post anything at all? Thanks, man.

P.S. As you well know, I'm not French.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by abe
I dropped out of the 10th grade. I'm mood disordered and my posts reflect my wide swings.

Just how would you characterize Troll's?

And then we'll do you.

And it seems after all these years, the anti-Bush zealots still don't know what the word lie means.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 07:34 AM

Mm I concur with the use of 'incompetent' to describe Bush. If I could use two words I'd say 'utterly incompetent'. The US has long been the laughing stock of the west, but never more than under George W Bush.

Ironically the US never had more respect in the west than when Clinton was president. Damn, we had nearly stopped laughing at all. Until the Lewinsky thing came along, then the west was simply ready to accept that the US had become a good, mature state at last. No more laughing of the US. Until Clinton was impeached, that is, then the US assumed its familiar role as a laughing stock once again and probably sealed the deal for decades when GWB was voted in twice!

The Bush zealots will probably never understand this, nor are they capable of doing so. But thanks for the laugh anyway!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Mm I concur with the use of 'incompetent' to describe Bush. If I could use two words I'd say 'utterly incompetent'. The US has long been the laughing stock of the west, but never more than under George W Bush.

Ironically the US never had more respect in the west than when Clinton was president. Damn, we had nearly stopped laughing at all. Until the Lewinsky thing came along, then the west was simply ready to accept that the US had become a good, mature state at last. No more laughing of the US. Until Clinton was impeached, that is, then the US assumed its familiar role as a laughing stock once again and probably sealed the deal for decades when GWB was voted in twice!

The Bush zealots will probably never understand this, nor are they capable of doing so. But thanks for the laugh anyway!

cheers

W-Y

On this we agree. I have many relatives in Germany, and they ALL wonder how a man who is utterly lacking in character, compassion, decency, and intelligence, wound up being the leader of the most powerful nation on earth.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 08:19 AM

Ironically the US never had more respect in the west than when Clinton was president.
Talk about incompetence.

Not only that, said statement is a mistruth.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG
I have many relatives in Germany, and they ALL wonder how a man who is utterly lacking in character, compassion, decency, and intelligence, wound up being the leader of the most powerful nation on earth.
Actually that says more about your relatives in Germany, than Bush.

BTW any country that elected Hitler as their leader, has a few more decades before it can really badmouth another country for it's leader of choice.
( Last edited by Kevin; Mar 23, 2006 at 08:26 AM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 08:27 AM

heh

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 09:18 AM

1. "Incompetent"
2. "Good"
3. "Idiot"
4. "Liar"

Another Pew Poll, but this one on gay marriage;

Either you appreciate Pew Poll results and believe they represent sound-reasoning or you don't.

Bush's approval numbers fluctuate literally by the hour. He is on a campaign of "Town Hall" style discussions that will manifest in an entirely different number by this time next month. It seems some of Bush's advisors finally registered at MacNN.

Stay tuned...
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 09:27 AM

... US is the most powerful nation on earth.
This American fanboy chest-pounding is unacceptable!!!

ebuddy

Troll  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
Another Pew Poll, but this one on gay marriage;
I think all forms of marriage should be banned. Two people that are in love don't need no stinking government or church to bless the commitment they want to make to each other. But that's a different topic...

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin

BTW any country that elected Hitler as their leader, has a few more decades before it can really badmouth another country for it's leader of choice.

Well, Hitler may have been evil, however he was anything but stupid. No one man has ever had the amount of power or following as Hitler had. And probably never will again.

Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 11:38 AM

This is what happens when American's vote in the guy they want to have a beer with over the smartest, most capable individual. All you have to do is watch a GW press conference or presidential debate to know that this man couldn't run a gas station.

The larger problem is that until recently, Cheney has been running the show not Bush. Cheney isn't stupid he's just evil while Bush isn't evil he's just stupid. So its a lose lose.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 11:42 AM

cheers

W-Y
Most Americans, not just Bush-zealots, "will probably never understand" why much of the rest of the Western world liked Clinton and dis-likes Bush. But your point about Monica Lewinsky is key. In the US, sex = bad while violence = good. So, Clinton's sexual dalliance with Monica Lewinksy, while seeming innocuous to much of the rest of the developed Western world, was a great scourge to those here in the States, from both main political parties, who still hold strongly puritanical ideas about sex. And Bush's lone-ranger, go-it-alone militaristic efforts, while heavily approved of here at home, were cause for shock in most of the rest of the developed Western world.

You've got to remember, that whenever you think about the United States in the aggregate, the view that sex=bad / violence=good is consistently held across most socio-economic groups. I think the reasons why it is held vary from group to group but overall I think the attitude is rather consistent. Me, I would like to see it switch around so that as a culture we don't have hang-ups about showing nudity on TV but we abhor all the violence that appears on our TV. Ain't gonna happen for a long time, though. People here really like their violence.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 01:36 PM

I disagree, I think they're the perfect people to criticize because they have first hand experience. If you notice, it's not just Germany but the majority of Europe. Europe in general has extensive experince dealing with dictators. Most of Europe has been conqured and ruled by a single individual on numerous occasions. England, France, Italy, Mongolia, Russia, Germany, they've all done it. They've known terrible leaders.

Also, I'd like to say on behalf of 2nd generation German immigrant who's great grandmother faught against the Nazis and member of The White Rose: F*ck you.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Explains a lot; excuses nothing.

Just being ****ed up does not absolve you from responsibility for the horseshit you do and post.

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If you notice, it's not just Germany but the majority of Europe.
The majority of Europe has been wrong before and the intelligence level of Europeans has not risen much in the past century. Today's Europeans are no smarter than the previous Europeans who came before them. Europe exists today purely out of luck and the good will and kindness of other friendly nations who've helped them out of their predicaments.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 02:18 PM

yup. pretty much.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 02:20 PM

Just being ****ed up does not absolve you from responsibility for the horseshit you do and post.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006, 02:24 PM

You know, I'm not a Bush supporter but I never understood the purpose of making fun of him. To me, making fun of him really serves no end. Now, if you can find something to impeach him on I'm all ears. I'm cut and dry like that.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 02:27 PM

Hmmm, Incompetent... first thing I think of is "UN".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 02:28 PM

Dunno, what's your excuse?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Pot. Kettle. Black.
Read it again, pal.

And then point out where I've pulled the personal history card to excuse anything I've posted.

Go on, try me.

Because to my recollection, I've always apologized when I was out of line, or simply stood by my words.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
The majority of Europe has been wrong before and the intelligence level of Europeans has not risen much in the past century. Today's Europeans are no smarter than the previous Europeans who came before them. Europe exists today purely out of luck and the good will and kindness of other friendly nations who've helped them out of their predicaments.
I have a hard time taking anything you say about intelligence when you can't even get your geography right.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 03:12 PM

On this we agree. I have many relatives in Germany, and they ALL wonder how a man who is utterly lacking in character, compassion, decency, and intelligence, wound up being the leader of the most powerful nation on earth.

At first I thought you were referring to Clinton with your list of traits.

First, I don't think you can fully back up your assertions. In which case, I would expect you'd be "European" enough to do the right thing and retract your statement.

Secondly, if Clinton was such perfection, how many Clinton administrations would it have taken (successive Presidents whose attitudes and behaviors were the same as Bill Clinton's was in his two terms) before his failures would have been sufficiently magnified to become apparent to even you "EUROS?"

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 03:14 PM

Read it again, pal.

And then point out where I've pulled the personal history card to excuse anything I've posted.

Go on, try me.

Because to my recollection, I've always apologized when I was out of line, or simply stood by my words.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 03:15 PM

Gee, Karl. Hope that didn't hurt TOO much!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 03:18 PM

1. "Incompetent"
2. "Good"
3. "Idiot"
4. "Liar"

#1 and 3 also describe the people who voted for him TWICE.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
Well, Hitler may have been evil, however he was anything but stupid. No one man has ever had the amount of power or following as Hitler had. And probably never will again.
"Yes, Adolph was brilliant. BRILLIANT I TELL YOU! hejusthadthislittleproblem..."

So, you go right ahead and praise him all you want. For all your adulation of his smarts it still wouldn't have kept you from being in the first trainload.

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by abe
"Yes, Adolph was brilliant. BRILLIANT I TELL YOU! hejusthadthislittleproblem..."

So, you go right ahead and praise him all you want. For all your adulation of his smarts it still wouldn't have kept you from being in the first trainload.

I know what his views of the gays were. I didn't say I admired him, or agreed with any of his policies. He was brilliant though.

Can you deny his brilliance? He's certainly a lot smarter than Bush could ever hope to be.

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 03:27 PM

I have a hard time taking anything you say about intelligence when you can't even get your geography right.
What kind of reply is that ? There wasn't anything in my post that indicated a lack of geographical skills on my part. Europe isn't exactly hard to spot on a map.

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 03:31 PM

I know what his views of the gays were. I didn't say I admired him, or agreed with any of his policies. He was brilliant though.

Can you deny his brilliance? He's certainly a lot smarter than Bush could ever hope to be.
Hitler wasn't brilliant, his followers were stupid. If Hitler had listened to his Generals, Germany wouldn't have lost as quickly either. He caused milllions of his followers to die (and others of course), what a brilliant man. He was a failed artist who found it easy to manipulate a bunch of stupid Germans.

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hitler wasn't brilliant, his followers were stupid. If Hitler had listened to his Generals, Germany wouldn't have lost as quickly either. He caused milllions of his followers to die (and others of course), what a brilliant man. He was a failed artist who found it easy to manipulate a bunch of stupid Germans.

Well, we now know who isn't brilliant.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 03:46 PM

What kind of reply is that ? There wasn't anything in my post that indicated a lack of geographical skills on my part. Europe isn't exactly hard to spot on a map.
It's not a country or a nation either. It's a continent. The countries within Europe exist and will continue to exist not because America runs in on its white horse and saves everyone.

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 03:54 PM

It's not a country or a nation either. It's a continent. The countries within Europe exist and will continue to exist not because America runs in on its white horse and saves everyone.
That's not true. After wars, certain countries cease to exist, and new borders get drawn. The makeup of Europe would be much different today, had not certain events taken place in the past. The French were more than willing to split their country in half to make the Nazis happy. The French will most likely have to split their country again in the future, to make the islamofascists happy. They've done it before afterall, I don't think they'd do any different today.

PacHead
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 03:56 PM

Well, we now know who isn't brilliant.
I'm brilliant enough to not kill myself, like adolf the loser did.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Most Americans, not just Bush-zealots, "will probably never understand" why much of the rest of the Western world liked Clinton and dis-likes Bush. But your point about Monica Lewinsky is key. In the US, sex = bad while violence = good. So, Clinton's sexual dalliance with Monica Lewinksy, while seeming innocuous to much of the rest of the developed Western world, was a great scourge to those here in the States, from both main political parties, who still hold strongly puritanical ideas about sex. And Bush's lone-ranger, go-it-alone militaristic efforts, while heavily approved of here at home, were cause for shock in most of the rest of the developed Western world.

You've got to remember, that whenever you think about the United States in the aggregate, the view that sex=bad / violence=good is consistently held across most socio-economic groups. I think the reasons why it is held vary from group to group but overall I think the attitude is rather consistent. Me, I would like to see it switch around so that as a culture we don't have hang-ups about showing nudity on TV but we abhor all the violence that appears on our TV. Ain't gonna happen for a long time, though. People here really like their violence.
"President Clinton will leave the worst national security legacy of any president in the last 100 years," according to Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., considered Capitol Hill's leading expert in Russian studies, and a senior member of the House National Security Committee. - Clinton's foreign-policy legacy by Charles Smith

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 04:16 PM

Read it again, pal.

Go on, try me.
LOL! That's EXACTLY what you just did!

"Because to my recollection, I've always... <personal history thaat doesn't absolve you from responsibility for the horseshit you do and post.>"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 04:20 PM

"Because to my recollection, I've always... <personal history thaat doesn't absolve you from responsibility for the horseshit you do and post.>"
Oooooo. You wascally wabbit!

9.5/10, very well played.
- Thomas Paine

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 04:46 PM

Excellent strawmanning, but don't let that bother you.

Feel free to call me on it when you think I'm out of line, and I'll see if I can explain it to you in terms of my medical history or psychological deficits.

More likely, I'll just tell you to go **** yourself - or not bother.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 04:47 PM

catfight

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 04:57 PM

"...or not bother."

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 05:00 PM

Excellent strawmanning, but don't let that bother you.

Feel free to call me on it when you think I'm out of line, and I'll see if I can explain it to you in terms of my medical history or psychological deficits.

More likely, I'll just tell you to go **** yourself - or not bother.
Hey, everybody wants to "come out" of the padded cell now that I've made it acceptable???

Well, then I take it back. I'm perfectly fine! There. So, now you all can just stop your copycatting.

No one wants to know your dirty laundry. And I promise to keep from giving you any more of my dirt. OK?

UGH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules