Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > what speakers do you recommend?

what speakers do you recommend?
rickyirvine
Sep 16, 2000, 12:07 AM

iSub with iMac or something else for iMac?

------------------
Gotta make life shine like glass.
jesus loves you and jesus loves me too

rickyirvine  (op)
Sep 16, 2000, 12:09 AM

ohh... I was really wanting something with a physical volume knob, instead of on screen volume adjusting, i've gotten used to that with my PC. what about the soundsticks with a new imac?

------------------

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2000, 01:19 AM

Hello! i suggest/recommend the Monsoon MM-700 or iMM-700's, they have a physical volume and mute knob and they sound really good and look awesome. The sub is decent for a desktop system, it's worth the money you pay.....:-)

Wetsponge
Sep 16, 2000, 10:58 PM

i have a labtec 3-piece system, it's very nice, has a downward firing sub-woofer (a rarety in computer speakers) and great sattellites, best of all, it's only about 50 bucks, half the price of an iSub, and a quarter of the iSticks (RIP OFF!)

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 17, 2000, 02:14 AM

I rkamend like as many as possible 12": subwoofers as possible stuck in a lowered honda civic with a VTEC badge, evn though its slow as hell... yo9ud be cool Really. Im sure.

HAhahHAhaHA. Stupid hondas.

Ca$h

Patrick
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2000, 03:08 PM

Just find a really good stereo with "line in" jacks or something. Computer speakers sound too tinny for me, even with a subwoofer.

rickyirvine  (op)
Sep 17, 2000, 09:16 PM

thanks. i've thought about just getting some big speakers and somehow hooking them up to my computer. that'd probably be the way to go, since i eventually want to get into recording some of my own music and stuff. now i just need to find those speakers...

ricky

------------------

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2000, 10:26 PM

Oh come on, aim higher, much higher.

Go for a cambridge soundworks 5 piece FPS 2000 system or a 5 piece 400watt RMS Klipsch Promedias, very incredible power and sound, you will not regret buying such products.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2000, 01:55 AM

If you don't want to spend that much for decent sound, check out Altec Lansing's ATP3 speakers. They look awesome, produce excellent sound, and come in black. They're a downward-firing system, too. The bass is incredible. All I had to do to make the sound kickass: turn up the treble slightly.

Best of all, this system sells for only $100.

Good luck, all!

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2000, 09:48 AM

Here at my computer at work my boss supplied me with some AWESOME, beige, non-amplified, Creative Lab Speakers. They ROCK! It's like setting your headphones next to your monitor and turning them up really loud!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2000, 11:11 PM

RCA jacks running from iMac to my Aiwa 100Wx2 main speaks, plus two 20W Surround sound speaks, and don't forget the yamaha 50W Sub connected to it(my mini system). So what was I saying, umm, oh yeah go buya good stereo for your Radio, TV, VCR, and CD playing needs and hook it up to your computer. Its the most economical way.

------------------
--->
--->[email protected]
--->

dani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2000, 11:42 AM

I recommend you try the Boston Acoustics "Micro Media" speakers, or, as that is an old model, the new equivalent Digital BA790 multimedia speakers. They have two small satellite speakers and a subwoofer. These are probably the best computer speakers you'll find under $100.

Generally speaking, anything sold in computer stores as "computer speakers" with "great bass/superior sound/etc" is crap. Go to a hi-fi store.

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2000, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
If you don't want to spend that much for decent sound, check out Altec Lansing's ATP3 speakers. They look awesome, produce excellent sound, and come in black. They're a downward-firing system, too. The bass is incredible. All I had to do to make the sound kickass: turn up the treble slightly.

Best of all, this system sells for only $100.
Yes, this system does rock. I've been known to disturb elderly neighbors with obnoxious bass-heavy songs like Sir Mix-A-Lot's 'Baby got Back'. Can't hear the words at times over the sub, though.

'I like big BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP and I cannot lie!'

/e

[This message has been edited by jaguarandi (edited 10-05-2000).]

unicron
Oct 6, 2000, 03:41 PM

Monsoon 1000!

proteron
Oct 7, 2000, 11:43 AM

For iMacs, we've liked the Cozo speakers.
For more eclectic and high-end tastes, the NHT Super Zeroes are great, but you'll need an amp for them. See www.nhthifi.com

thirtyfootsmurf
Oct 11, 2000, 03:48 PM

Altec Lansing ACS45's.

Best ones out there (that I've heard) digital volume buttons though. If you are going to put them up on the wall, I recommend some Cambridge Soundworks 3 piece systems (the mac can't have true 5pt surround sound )-: They have a little volume control. Like a remote but not as remote..... wait.....

Oh well

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 04:06 PM

if space is a concern, and style is desired: Monsoon

JUST imo, ok?

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 12:33 PM

Um, excuse me duboy but I think you forgot that Monsoon has their MM-1000 model as well. These not only look alot better than the MM-700s but I'm sure they have better specs. There are some in my office env. They not only blend in well but the sound is superb.

Its stood up to some pretty hefty, albeit accidental, kicks that I have dealt to the subwoofer under the desk as well.

Judas (Lord of Chaos)
Oct 20, 2000, 10:37 AM

I am still very amazed that people are actually satisfied with using and purchasing computer speakers.

I of course realise that not all people want to have thier computer located i thier living room but seeing as how there is more and more rich and engaging audio filled regular and streaming media to listen to and watch using your full home stereo system is definitely what i think is the best option. I personally have always connected my computer directly to my main stereo system and therefore have two 15" Speakers hooked up to my computer. I think this is the best way to go, you get the best possible audio you can get and it can rock your house.

But to all you who don't have your computer as a main home appliance and the main entertainment/productivity tool based in your living room and prefer to have your computer hidden away in a back room i say get either the iSub or the complete Sound Sticks setup.

Hell yeah! hook your pute up to your stereo and rock your neighborhood!!!

Judas (Lord of Chaos)
"the vacant, unfathomable space from which everything arose"
"http://chaos-creations.dhs.org/index.html"

DocWest
Senior User
Oct 21, 2000, 01:15 AM

Yep, I've gotta agree with the Lord of Chaos here.

NOTHING compares to going through a stereo system. Even an old cheap-ass mini system gives excellent sound.

mac.nut
Oct 21, 2000, 10:33 AM

yes, going through your stereo is easily the best way. plus since most people already have one,it is way cheaper.

The Gonif
Oct 22, 2000, 02:31 PM

I recently bought some computer speakers and did a couple days worth of research before my purchase. Also, I returned a 3-piece and a 5-piece speaker setup before finally being very satisfied with my final choice.

The first return was a $25 no-name. It was, as you might expect, very horrible.

The second return was the Altec Lansing ACS-54. I don't have 3D sound on my Mac, but the ACS-54, which has 5 speakers, can also function with non-3D sound so it's ok. These speakers sounded ok, but they didn't have the realism that I was looking for. The bass didn't sound smooth; it sounded like it peaked in certain areas.

After much more research and more money than I originally wanted to spend, I went to Best Buy for a sound demo of the Yamaha YST-MS50 3-piece speakers. Holy Moly, these things kick serious ass. They were easily twice as loud as all other speakers at Best Buy. I was actually checking the other speakers' wiring connections to make sure they were working right. These speakers sound very smooth to me. The highs, mids, and lows are well balanced, so you don't have that scenario where one particular instrument or note in a song jumps out at you. On the other hand, if you want to rock the house then they can easily do that, too.

The subwoofer has a dial to adjust how much bass it puts out. I have mine set at 7 out of 10, and that's even a little too much. When this thing is pumping, it ejects so much air out of the port hole that it would blow a match out. You can put your hand down there and feel all that air moving! Music sounds fantastic, games rock, and the introduction movie to Star Wars Racer is mindblowing.

Anyway, that's my opinion. The speakers cost about $125 retail, although you can find then on-line for less. I really can't recommend these speakers enough. They rank up there with my top ten satisfied purchases of all time. I think they only come in beige, though. Oh, and they have a headphone plug on the right speaker so you can listen through headphones if you want.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

KevinVT
Oct 22, 2000, 02:45 PM

I suggest going to cnet.com and reading the reviews for Computer speakers, also they have links to one of the comparison shopping sites so you can find a low price quick. I got a pair of MidiLand S2's (not sure) model 4030, and I love it, 3 piece system, great sub and really nice wall mountable satellite speakers, Plus it comes with a remote that you can mount in a drive bay or anywhere else (mine attached to the bottom of my desk). from the remote you can control volume, bass, treble, left/right. Has a mute button, a 3D sound button, which sounds pretty good) a loud button to crank it to 11, and best of all, A/B input switch button, I hooked my satellite dish audio in my room to the B inputs, (DirectTV) so when I watch TV it sounds so much better then my TV Built in speakers. And a punch of a button brings back the computer audio. Remember when you buy Computer speakers, you are trying to get amazing sound in a small space, (where you sit, in front of your monitor) if you want to play MP3's or whatever, hook it up to the Home System.

Macxpert
Oct 22, 2000, 02:54 PM

Be careful if you decide to go with home audio speakers - most are NOT shielded. This means if you place them near your monitor they will die very very fast.

However, that being said, I highly recommend you integrate your computer with a home audio system, with a decent sized monitor you can say "to hell with a tv!" and use your computer for absolutely everything.

My setup is (a PC unfortunately, but please ignore that blemish) with a JVC RX-888V digital receiver, an RCA Hi-Fi VCR (might add a Toshiba SVHS sometime within the next year), WinTV DBX card (for watching SVHS-quality tapes on my computer), Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 12x (on the PC, but with SHVS and optical-audio output), and a Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer sound card with optical-audio output - the speakers I will be getting to make this setup complete are B&W LM1s - it is a $350 pair of 2-way speakers....high quality AND they are sheilded for placement next to computer monitors...I will likely install these as rear speakers too in the future as they are designed for installation anywhere (they come with mounts so you can install them on a wall, set them on a desk, or do just about anything with them)

But anyway, the main point to my story is if you can afford quality stuff, go for a setup that integrates your computer with your home audio equipment, but if you need to then have speakers right next to your monitor make sure you get SHIELDED (often referred to as 'monitor')speakers (like the B&W LM1s - www.bwspeakers.com).

jpalens
Oct 22, 2000, 03:01 PM

I can agree with the Altec Lansing ACS45 recommendation, I had the Labtex 3-piece system before, and it was okay, but the Altec's are absolutely AWESOME. I am not much of a gamer, I use my machine mainly for music, and these speakers have the best Bass response I have ever heard from a set of computer speakers, and they sound great throughout the range. Plus they were a killer deal compared with some of the other setups I looked at. They are a 4-piece set plus a wooden-cabinet downward-firing 6.5" subwoofer that shakes my entire apartment when I want it to.

Stumpp
Oct 22, 2000, 05:30 PM

Altec Lansing definatly has excellent product both at a $30.00 range and the 100.00 + range and I encourage you to check them out before buying. Best wishes.

frisson
Oct 22, 2000, 08:09 PM

There's a good medium-end system from Polk Audio that would match a computer nicely:
http://www.polkaudio.com/promo/rmds1/index.html

it has Pro Logic surround, Dolby Digital, etc. & about 500W for five satellites & a subwoofer. I'm very pleased with it. It's ~$2700.

Chas
Oct 22, 2000, 08:33 PM

I got the Boston Acoutics MediaTheater set, they're amazing. Expensive (at around $250) but nothing else comes close. Massive subwoofer, with knobs and a headphone jack right on the desktop speakers.

surf.to/macospage
Oct 22, 2000, 09:22 PM

I've heard nothing but great reviews on the Monsoon speakers and they're only US$99 on this online retailer.
http://www.computers4sure.com/Produc...roductID=87035

ATPM has just written a review on it...
http://www.atpm.com/6.11/monsoon.shtml

Damien
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2000, 10:13 PM

Steve Jobs is a great speaker. So is Kurt Vonnegut. I've never heard of this iSub guy or Mr. Monsoon.

------------------
Damien Barrett
http://www.mrbarrett.com

seventn
Oct 22, 2000, 11:36 PM

Logitech X2. A 3 piece speaker sub combo, great design, great sound/price ratio and they do not sound harsh in the 8Khz and up range like the Cambridge Soundworks.

Got mine for $98 canadian!!!! (that's about $69.00 us...)

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2000, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Ca$h68:
I rkamend like as many as possible 12": subwoofers as possible stuck in a lowered honda civic with a VTEC badge, evn though its slow as hell... yo9ud be cool Really. Im sure.

HAhahHAhaHA. Stupid hondas.

Ca$h
hehe that's good, I like it

guest22
Oct 23, 2000, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by The Gonif:
After much more research and more money than I originally wanted to spend, I went to Best Buy for a sound demo of the Yamaha YST-MS50 3-piece speakers. Holy Moly, these things kick serious ass. They were easily twice as loud as all other speakers at Best Buy. I was actually checking the other speakers' wiring connections to make sure they were working right. These speakers sound very smooth to me. The highs, mids, and lows are well balanced, so you don't have that scenario where one particular instrument or note in a song jumps out at you. On the other hand, if you want to rock the house then they can easily do that, too.

The subwoofer has a dial to adjust how much bass it puts out. I have mine set at 7 out of 10, and that's even a little too much. When this thing is pumping, it ejects so much air out of the port hole that it would blow a match out. You can put your hand down there and feel all that air moving! Music sounds fantastic, games rock, and the introduction movie to Star Wars Racer is mindblowing.

Anyway, that's my opinion. The speakers cost about $125 retail, although you can find then on-line for less. I really can't recommend these speakers enough. They rank up there with my top ten satisfied purchases of all time. I think they only come in beige, though. Oh, and they have a headphone plug on the right speaker so you can listen through headphones if you want.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
I have the Yamaha YST-MS55D. These are the same as the MS50 except that it has a USB port. They do sound the best of anything I've heard. Mine are black also.

ThomasOK
Oct 23, 2000, 12:10 PM

The general trend of these replies is correct, most "computer" speakers are garbage although some of the Monsoon and Yamahas sound OK. You are much better off with good quality but inexpensive home Hi-Fi equipment.

I have spent 15+ years selling Macs and previously 10 years selling high-end Hi-Fi (systems that can run over $100,000). Music reproduction has been my hobby for over 30 years. People who really know quality reproduction are all aware of an inexpensive gem of a speaker from Radio Shack. It used to be called the Minimus 7 but the latest, shielded version are called RCA #PRO-X44AV. These little guys put out amazing sound for their size and price due to a simple crossover, hugh-quality drive units and a die-cast aluminum enclosure (much more rigid and non-resonant than the usual plastic or thin particle board).

They retail for about $60.00 each and will blow away anything near their price. But on top of that Radio Shack puts them on sale for $35 or $40 every few months. You can get them in White or Black and they are sheilded so they won't cause interference patterns on your screen. (By the way, whether or not they are sheilded has absolutely nothing to do with blowing anything out. Almost all speakers have magnets and voice coils to move the drivers - the better the speaker the bigger the magnet. Conventional tube computer monitors and TVs use magnets and coils to move the electron beam across the tube. When you put a strong magnet near a monitor it distorts the magnetic field of the monitor and causes a distorted image. You can see the effect by moving a magnetic screwdriver close to your screen. Hence the need for shielded speakers.)

Since these speakers are unamplified you will need an amp. Any integrated amp with 15 or more watts per channel made by a good manufacturer in the last 20 years should do fine. I use a 15 year old Harman-Kardon 35 watter, but anything from Rotel, NAD, HK, Denon, Onkyo or Marantz should work fine. You should be able to pick up something like this for smoewheere around $100-$150.

You could hook these up with a subwoofer, but since there are no real subwoffers available for under $500 and since these by themselves will blow away most, if not all, computer sattelite/subwoofer systems, I wouldn't bother.

A final note - don't let the Radio Shack salespeople try to move you up to a model or two higher. They don't sound as good - this is the gem of the line.
Tom

johnrpenner
Oct 23, 2000, 02:39 PM

for good sound - a $5 headphone-RCA cable to plug your computer into
your regular stereo system (just like you plug in a CD player or a
tape-deck) is going to give you the lowest cost, and provides WAAAY
better sound then even the $100-200 computer speakers.

why buy more speakers when you already have speakers, and they already
sound better than a pair of chintzy $50 computer speakers?

if your computer is in another room than your stereo (why? aren't
they both in your media room?) -- then buying a used stereo at a
garage sale for $50 and plugging your computer into the AUX input
is still cheaper and still gives you better sound. i've seend old
pioneer & JVC systems (just an okay stereo system, but still better
than computer speakkers) go for as little as $10-15 at a garage sale.

also, sub-woofers are a good solution for lower-end speakers.
but once you get into higher-quality speakers (PSB, klipsch, mission,
boston acoustics, LINN, etc.), you'll find that subwoofers are there
only to compensate for lack of a really good main speaker in the first
place, just like an audio-equaliser only exists on cheap stereos that
don't have a good enough Amplifier section to reproduce good audio
without it.

for lower-end systems, the sub-woofer is a good solution however.

but for the lowest-end computer type speakers, they don't even have
a subwoofer, or good enough main speakers to reproduce any good audio
at all - better to spend $5 to hook into your stereo then spend $50
for a pair of second-rate speakers.

audio high-fidelity chart
(in order of good sound):

1 - medium - high-end > stereo w/o subwoofer (LINN, infinity, PSB, etc.)
2 - low-end stereo > el-cheapo stereo w/amp and seperate speakers
3 - low-end compSpkrs > comp. spkrs w/subwoofer (bose, sound-sticks, etc.)
4 - really low-end > computer speakers w/o subwoofer.

in the end its up to you - are you willing to settle for second-rate
sound? then buying a pair of el-cheapo ($50-200) speakers is for you.

or if high-fidelity sound is actually a concern, then use a system
actually designed exclusively for reproducing high-fidelity - your
stereo system.

regards,
[email protected]

Paul W.
Oct 23, 2000, 03:32 PM

I've got the Monsoon flat panels (MM-700? MH-500? I don't remember). They don't take up much space, but they sound awesome. I wish the subwoofer was a little meatier, but for $99 it kicks just as much ass as I want it to. This speaker set has excellent stereo separation, but because of that they are extremely direction-specific. The 'sweet spot' is small and specific. Don't buy any kind of Monsoons, or any other flat panels, if your desire is to fill a room with beautiful sound. But if you'll do most of your listening parked relatively right in front of the computer, such as gaming or if you just don't have much space to work with in the first place, it's hard to top the Monsoons.

adamdeus6858
Oct 31, 2000, 02:37 PM

You want a system that'll sound so good it almost makes you weary?
If so: order yourself the ARS-300 12" subwoofer with Bob Carver's 300watt sunfire system power. You can find this for around $400 or less if you look.
Then purchase a pair of LS3/5a's the British standard for monitors. They are made by Rogers, Harbeth and KEF. You can find them new starting at $750 or much cheaper on Ebay. All you'll need now is any garden variety receiver or integrated amp to power the monitors which are quite small 11" x 7.5" (high and wide). You can splurge and get a receiver that has surround sound which will have a subwoofer output, but don't worry you can do it without it. You just send the speaker signal from the integrated amp or receiver to the subwoofer and then take the outputs from the sub to the monitors. The subwoofer has a built in crossover that passes everything above 120hz to the monitors.

This is a recipe for sonic nirvana....enjoy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules