Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > First Time Partitioner

First Time Partitioner
PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 01:53 PM

Hi,

I had to reformat my hard drive, so this seems like a good opportunity to consider partitioning. I've always heard people suggest putting the system on a separate partition; is this something I should do? If so, how large should I make the partition?

If I do go ahead an partition, how does that change my user experience? Will I have more trouble using applications, setting preferences... anything? What's the advantage?

Thanks!
It's the devil's way now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 02:12 PM

No. Don't partition your hard drive.

Partitioning is like disk fragmentation only that it is permanent. You will regret it eventually no matter how much you think about the "optimal" partitions' size. There is no significant advantage of partitioning that would make up for this.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 28, 2006, 02:25 PM

If you have to ask, you shouldn't partition. It can be useful as an advanced feature, but for most people, it causes hassle with no payoff.

tooki

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 02:51 PM

Fair enough! Thanks.
It's the devil's way now.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2006, 03:31 AM

> You will regret it eventually no matter how much
> you think about the "optimal" partitions' size.

Fiddlesticks.
-HI-

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
No. Don't partition your hard drive.

Partitioning is like disk fragmentation only that it is permanent. You will regret it eventually no matter how much you think about the "optimal" partitions' size. There is no significant advantage of partitioning that would make up for this.
Unless you dual-boot.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2006, 04:20 AM

Indeed. If you like to switch between OS X and Linux, you need to partition. Similarly, if you write software and want to test it on 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4, you'll need a partition for each. The ability to have multiple OS versions on the same partition was unfortunately lost in the OS 9 to OS X transition.

Of course, if you don't do any of these things, you probably don't need to partition your drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

DCapple
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2006, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by PookJP
Hi,

I had to reformat my hard drive, so this seems like a good opportunity to consider partitioning. I've always heard people suggest putting the system on a separate partition; is this something I should do? If so, how large should I make the partition?

If I do go ahead an partition, how does that change my user experience? Will I have more trouble using applications, setting preferences... anything? What's the advantage?

Thanks!
as from my experience i dont have any trouble in terms of applications, setting preferences the advantage is you can have your files on one partitin so when something bad happen to your application you can retrieve it...it like having a mirror or back-up...its really up to you but as the other guys said...you better not partition your hard disk so you can maximize it...
My Bookmarks
- Danica

kick52
Baninated
Mar 29, 2006, 06:01 AM

with the best name - "Macintosh HD", its hard to think of another stylish name for your other partition that fits with OS Xs minimalistic desktop.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by DCapple
as from my experience i dont have any trouble in terms of applications, setting preferences the advantage is you can have your files on one partitin so when something bad happen to your application you can retrieve it...it like having a mirror or back-up...its really up to you but as the other guys said...you better not partition your hard disk so you can maximize it...
Your backup needs to be on a separate disk. Having your backup on another partition on the same disk won't help you much if the disk itself dies.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 07:27 AM

To add onto Charles' point, having another partition for your data is no substitute for a backup. It just adds the convenience in case you were to FUBAR your OS X install or if you want a dual booter where you can access common files.

If you do decide to partition, here is my advice of what to be careful of:

1. OS X MUST be in the first partition otherwise you'll have problems.
2. Allow 10-20 GB for OS X. Of course, if you have the bloat that is iLife '06 (remember, it requires 10 GB as a whole) and perhaps other GarageBand jam packs (approx 2 GB each), you'll certainly want to have more space. If you use Filevault? Short on RAM? Yes, allow more space. OS X is a pig when it comes to swap files and FileVault HD space usage. Leave yourself some breathing room. Consider installing third party drag and drop apps somewhere else other than /Applications and leave that folder for Apple's own stuff.
3. If you don't want all of those localizations and want to actually save space, download something like CLIX to keep this command handy to select, point, and click:

sudo find / \( -name *.lproj -and \! \( -name English.lproj -or -name en.lproj \) \) -exec rm -rf \{\} \;

This easily saves you ~1-1.5 GB of space, even with Xcode tools. On a small drive it makes a big difference. The downside? Every time you run Software Update or update drag-and-drop apps, you'll have to run it again.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, don't do it without delving into the subject first hand. If you have a large disk drive, the whole thing about the regrets from your choice of space allocations is a non-issue IMO, especially if you created only two partitions (one for OS X and the other for everything else).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
1. OS X MUST be in the first partition otherwise you'll have problems.
This isn't true, AFAIK, except on the ancient beige G3s which aren't supported by Tiger anyway. I've had OS X on partitions other than the first one, and it worked fine. I've sometimes had multiple partitions set up to boot different versions of OS X for testing purposes. No problems.

DCapple
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Your backup needs to be on a separate disk. Having your backup on another partition on the same disk won't help you much if the disk itself dies.

yes thats right!!

partition is pretty much organizing your files and applications...

but i did that before but now i really prefer not to cause its more hassle free...
My Bookmarks
- Danica

Forum Links
Forum Rules