Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is this a scam?

Is this a scam?
Dailyplanet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 03:40 PM

Hey guys,
Thinking of getting an iMac off of this guy from Craiglist.com. Believe it's the latest PPC version for $650. However, his email seems suspicious to me:
Hi
My name is Kevin Bailey and I live in London Uk.The item is new with 12 months international warranty( with all standard accessories ) . It is a unwated gift, usa model and I can't use it here!
Here is how I want to go about delivery and payment for the product which will be through TNT and will also give you the chance to inspect the product before I receive the payment for it.
I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
A. First you have to send me your shipping information (your name and address).
1. After I receive your shipping info, I'll go to a TNT Location and leave the product onto your name and with your address as the intended receiver.
2. TNT will check it to see that the unit was placed with no defections and to see that is legal .
B. You will receive a notification from as a confirmation that the product is in their custody and also, that the product has been tested.
1.TNT will send you a invoice, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the product to your door step.
2. After you will receive the product and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct TNT to release the payment information to me, so I can collect my money.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the product, you will return the product to TNT with no expense.
I will pay for shipping and you for the amount transfer.
Let me know if we can do this.
Thanks!

So I'm not sure if I should go through with this or not. What do you guys think?

applesnapple
Mar 31, 2006, 04:00 PM

Sounds to good to be true, and he could get much more than $650 selling it on ebay. Don't do it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2006, 04:01 PM

It sounds like TNT is an escrow company; beware, there are a lot of bogus escrow companies out there.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2006, 05:49 PM

TNT is actually a delivery company here in the UK (Apple use them to deliver their Macs fwiw), but yes... only $650 - he could sell it in the UK for nearly double that.

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 05:50 PM

he's just using an escrow company.

viaChgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 05:51 PM

If it 650 pounds then it may be legit.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2006, 06:05 PM

Don't waste your money.
This is a scam for sure. There are many scammers on craigslist, who try to use this schema.
The TNT site in question is fake as well. TNT company does exist, but the link you are presented with is a fake.
I've "talked" to several of these scammers, and all of them are trying to get you the same way. TNT escrow ...
Think of it this way, why would someone from England want to sell a computer on your local craigslist site ...

Dailyplanet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2006, 06:51 PM

You guys are probably right. I wonder if there's a way to get him back . . . (I hate scammers) like pay him in Monopoly dollars or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules