Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Griffin ear jams - are they any good?

Griffin ear jams - are they any good?
Dr.Michael
Apr 3, 2006, 07:39 AM

Did anyone try the ear jams? They are the cheapest solution to turn the stock iPod earphones into in-ear phones. But are they comfortable to wear or do you consider them a waste of money?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:25 PM

ed phelan
Apr 4, 2006, 07:01 AM

They're comfortable enough and if you are having a problem fitting the stock ear plugs they are not a waste of money; I've been using mine for quite some time now and am a satisfied user.
All the best/æ

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 11:32 AM

Personally I think your money would be better invested in either Sony's EXSL 71 or Sennheiser's CX300; the latter getting very good reviews for being excellent value for money, whereas the Sonys have a reputation for falling to bits.

volcano
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Personally I think your money would be better invested in either Sony's EXSL 71 or Sennheiser's CX300; the latter getting very good reviews for being excellent value for money, whereas the Sonys have a reputation for falling to bits.
I have the Sony EXSL 71 bud headphones, and I'm completely happy with them. I purchased them alongside my Sony MiniDisc player back in December 2004 (which was replaced by an iPod Mini the following March) - and they still work great. They've taken a few beatings too, mind you - but I haven't had a single issue with them thus far.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by GORDYmac
Thanks for all your comments.
I have browsed a bit (following gordymacs advice) and found a bunch of reviews on Amazon.com.

They break down like this:
All say, volume becomes much louder and bass goes up. Most people say the treble goes down, but that can be compensated with the treble booster equalizer setting. I think this tells already that the sound will not be great (especially for me who from time to time listens also to classical music and operas).

Most people agree that the ear jams are not great but you get what you pay for. And for 14$ it is fair what you get.
But the main thing about like and dislike is the fit. They simply fall out of some peoples ears (thus unusable), hurt others (very bad of course) and provide a great fit for some.

So in the end it is highly individual and may also simply depend on the anatomy of our ears.
But: Is that different with other (say 200$) earbuds?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 5, 2006, 09:24 AM

Very happy with Ear Jams. My wife's ears were too small for the standard earbuds to fit comfortably, but the Jams made them feel great for her-and me too. The soft material that fits into the ear conforms very well, it's smooth and comfortable, and it helps block more outside noise. And that's not bad for the price.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dr.Michael  (op)
Apr 7, 2006, 05:36 AM

I bought the earjams yesterday.

The sound is indeed as I have found it described in the reviews. The equalizer helps to improve it a bit.

Well, I am not very happy but they do a job. They isolate external noise and thus improve the music experience. They also fit well into my ears although the earbuds are too large now to really rest IN the ear.

They may fail badly if compared to other more expensive solutions. But after a while I did not notice any more that the sound is less good than before. I think for 13 Euros they are ok and I will go on using them.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Apr 7, 2006 at 09:10 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules