Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple sending me a "new, upgraded" laptop

Apple sending me a "new, upgraded" laptop
Screech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

So I bought the 15" PowerBook in late December, brand new from a local Apple Store.. upgraded the RAM to 1.5 GB.

When I got it, the hard drive just failed. I couldn't boot the computer -- it would flash it's power light but it just wouldn't go on. Thankfully, I got back to the Apple Store in about 2 days, and they simply swapped out the computers.

So with the new computer, despite being right next to the router, AirPort continually dropped my connection. It was almosttimed -- once every 15 minutes or so, it would just drop. I never let it go idle, nothing -- the connection just dropped. The computer also came with a screwed up "N" key -- it was slanted on purchase and would occassionally just pop out.

After living with it for about a month, I brought it into the Apple Store. They replaced the N key in store and sent it out to get the AirPort replaced. Got it back within a week (not bad at all).

Same problem, it just kept on dropping. There are six computers in my house, and this one is the only one that continually drops. Same thing happens on all networks. I suspect they just didn't replace the AirPort. And the "N" key is still screwed up, along with the "B" key right next to it.

So I go back to the Apple Store, get in a fight with the Apple people who claim its my fault until they see the connection drop in their store, and they take it back in for another repair. (Also of note, when the Apple guy looked at his Notes on the last repair, nothing relevant showed up -- hinting that they did nothing).

Because it was the second of the same repair, I got the laptop back within a few days. SAME PROBLEM! It just keeps on dropping! So, outraged as ever, I call AppleCare. I speak to a representative that says he will replace my computer with something "new and upgraded."

How does that policy work? What could they upgrade on the PowerBook? Or are they sending me a Macbook (since I made sure it would be a NEW machine, and the 15" PB seems discontinued, and I do NOT want to lug around a 17")? Anybody ahve this happen to them?

Not a good first impression for a first-time Mac user. I love the software so much, and the hardware was fine minus the AirPort and keyboard, so I am just hoping whatever they send me is functional.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 01:28 PM

I have a feeling that although the 15" PB is no longer available directly from Apple for consumer purchase, Apple will have a reasonable amount of back stock left to replace defective models.

Chances are you will get a new 15" PB. However, if you got a new 15" MBP, that would be great!!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 01:45 PM

You'll probably get a new 15" PB with upgraded RAM and/or hard drive as Apple's way of apologizing.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
You'll probably get a new 15" PB with upgraded RAM and/or hard drive as Apple's way of apologizing.
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I had a 1 GHz PB G4 12 inch and a month after I got it the display failed. After 4 times of sending it back to Apple (taking about a month in all most of which was because of piddling on my part) they said they would replace it. I had purchased the 1 GHz on clearance as it has just been discontinued but they said they always replace with current shipping units since they do not keep old stock for this purpose.

I therefore got the newer 1.33 GHz (this model was improved over the 1 GHz in a number of ways including better graphics, a faster bus and faster memory).

I think you are likely to get a new MBP.

Let us know.

Rick
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

ecking01
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 04:31 PM

When he said they'd replace it with something if I were you I'd tell them to make sure it's a macbook pro. Maybe you can still call and check.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 05:03 PM

We had a eMac that was fixed far to many times and still showed problems. Apple replaced it with a 17" iMac G5 with iSight (when the iSight models first came out). So its not unheard of for them to send you a better machine.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2006, 05:15 PM

I had this happen to me once. I got bumped from a Ti to an AlBook. The guy went over with me on the phone what specs I would be getting on my new laptop.

Sadly in since this guy didn't I'm assuming they're just pulling a nicer 15" PPCBook out of stock. Who knows? You might be surprised.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 05:30 PM

Well, teh issue has become an escalated one, but nothing has been set up yet. Howerver, the rep I am specifically ocnnected to said it was a 99.9% chance. I will specifically ask that they send me the Macbook -- is that how I should go about it?

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Screech
Well, teh issue has become an escalated one, but nothing has been set up yet. Howerver, the rep I am specifically ocnnected to said it was a 99.9% chance. I will specifically ask that they send me the Macbook -- is that how I should go about it?
I don't think you have any grounds to demand such an upgrade and that Apple would be perfectly justified to send you a new PowerBook of equal or greater ability.

Once Apple told me that they were going to replace mine (after I got it back the third time they said 'let us have one more crack at it and if this time fails we will send you a new one.') I then asked exactly what I would be getting as a replacement. I was informed that Apple does not keep new stock of discontinued models and therefore I would be getting the matching current one. He then gave me the specs (I actually complained before thinking about it because my 1/2 gig RAM chip would not work in the newer machine forcing me to buy a new one.)

They will not replace a machine you bought new with a refurbished one. They will send you a new one and if they have no 15 inch PPC based models left (and they should not) then you get the MBP.

Good Luck
( Last edited by Homer1946; Mar 6, 2006 at 12:35 PM. )
-R

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 6, 2006, 04:49 AM

you absolutely WILL not receive a macbook pro under any circumstances. Apple has freescale chips and powerbook parts well into 2009. Why won't you get a macbook pro? Imagine them explaining to you when you got your computer back that now photoshop was going to be under emulation... Apple will not confuse the issue by giving you another model computer. It would be like sending in your mac mini, and them sending back an iMac. The powerbook and macbook pro are NOT the same computer, you won't get one because of powerbook problems.

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 07:46 AM

Happened to me as well : had problems with my iBook G4 800mhz. They gave me a brand new replacement iBook G4 1.2ghz.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 08:22 AM

The third time they replaced my 17" screen unsuccessfully I was upgraded from a 1 Ghz to a 1.5 Ghz brand new 17" Powerbook. I would imagine if they do give you a new Powerbook it will be with an upgraded CPU most surely.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:01 AM

I seriously doubt that inkhead has any idea what Apple is going to do--but please let us know what happens.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
you absolutely WILL not receive a macbook pro under any circumstances. Apple has freescale chips and powerbook parts well into 2009. Why won't you get a macbook pro? Imagine them explaining to you when you got your computer back that now photoshop was going to be under emulation... Apple will not confuse the issue by giving you another model computer. It would be like sending in your mac mini, and them sending back an iMac. The powerbook and macbook pro are NOT the same computer, you won't get one because of powerbook problems.
It seems it would be that way, but parts do not equal whole computers. While Apple certainly DOES and WILL have PowerBook parts in the future (otherwise every little problem would warrant a new MBP), they do not keep stock of their discontinued products. And Apple's policy to try to fix the machine 3 times, and then replace the machine with a new one. In this case, Apple doesn't have a new machine to give, and it would take them more time and money to build/find a new PowerBook than it would be just to give the guy a MBP. But being so close to the 15" discontinue, they probably still have some in stock somewhere.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
That is not how it works. I my situation I did complain to Apple because I was poor at the time and the replacement required me to buy a new memory chip essentially wasting the one I had (so it COST me $100). The representative clearly told me that they ONLY had current shipping models to replace with and therefore THAT is what I would get. Complaining that you cannot run photoshop well enough will result in the same response (I got the impression they just had the Apple Store replace from their stock, not that THEY somehow had their own).

I am not saying you for sure will get a MBP but I am saying that mine was replaced within 2 months of the discontinue of my prior model. Also think about it, it essentially cost Apple as much to manufacture the older machines as it did the new ones so their is no reason to keep older stock around. It is just as cost effective to just have the Apple Store replace with current hardware of the same level.
-R

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 6, 2006, 01:08 PM

You will not get a macbook pro. I'll bet you money on it.

Go ahead try and get one...

It's not going to happen, and this is only my "best guess" based on the fact that I'm on Apple campus 5 days a week.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 01:25 PM

On the surface, I don't think that they would give you a Macbook Pro (unless someone has an example of Apple replacing a computer with one of a different platform such as OS 9-OS X or even 68k-PPC [I agree that they probably would not like to explain to anyone why photoshop works so slowly on their brand new (replacement) computer). But, they may not have much of a choice. They may call and ask if the 17" Powerbook is acceptable (though we well know that it is not, for you at least).

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2006, 01:46 PM

It's unlikely. They don't make a habit of it. The problem is that it creates a perverse incentive for users to try to damage their computers in seemingly inperceptible ways in the hopes of getting a new, current model. Despite the lack of PPC 15" ones shipping, you can bet your bottom dollar there are at least SOME of them still in inventory. It hasn't been discontinued for that long, and it's not like you stop selling the moment your inventory hits zero. That's just not how companies work. I bet you get one of those.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 02:35 PM

for the record apple does still have 15" powerbooks in stock.
if you read this thread most people who received a different model did so because their model had been out of the market for many many months if not years. the 15" powerbook hasnt been off the market for 3weeks if that.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
for the record apple does still have 15" powerbooks in stock.
if you read this thread most people who received a different model did so because their model had been out of the market for many many months if not years. the 15" powerbook hasnt been off the market for 3weeks if that.
You know, I did not notice that those were current models listed as replacements. They might have some in stock, they may not. Time will tell. Please keep us updated

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 03:36 PM

Within the next few days, the rep I talked to will call me back. I will update you guys.

Just some responses:
a) Some people suggested that Apple may just upgrade my Powerbook. Problem is I have the latest model (1.67 SuperDrive) and I upgraded my RAM to 1.5 GB. They promised me an upgraded model... (and I do NOT want a 17" laptop)
b) I believe I have full right to a MacBook. I bought this product in December of '05. Since then, in a period of only three months, I have lost immesurable amounts of work and money dealing with this computer -- four times! I don't know whether this is a universal problem with Powerbooks -- why should I take the risk that this should happen again? They have recognized that there is a problem at the store, and there is no conceivable way I could've damanged the AirPort or hard drive myself. I spent $2000 on this machine and it's been a pain in the ass -- Apple should do this for me so that I stay a customer, which I won't be if I get stuck with a lemon again.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 04:19 PM

I'm sure they will give you a macbook pro. When Apple was unable to fix my old wallstreet G3 powerbook under applecare in a timely manner, they gave me a titanium powerbook instead - and that was despite the fact that my wallstreet at the time was several years old and just under applecare. They kept on fixing it for over a month and each time introducing new problems and I complained through the BBB and they promptly gave me a new powerbook G4. I had lots of problems with the titanium too and they replaced the first generation model twice and then, a almost a year later, gave me a new second generation one that worked flawlessly. Very frustrating, yes, but first rate service.

They're not as bad as we sometimes make them out to be, especially when there is a legitimate problem. You'll be happy.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 06:42 PM

Note that pete complained to the BBB--do that if you don't receive fair treatment from Apple, and you should be fine.

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2006, 10:00 PM

They refuse to even replace my model.

They will only repair it AGAIN.

I emailed Steve Jobs with the supplied email -- maybe that will get something done.

I am getting sick of this.

Advice?

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 10:03 PM

Write a letter to the Better Business Bureau stating the exact course of events, your dissatisfaction with it all and your demands (a replacement immediately). It is well worth it.

good luck
( Last edited by pete; Mar 18, 2006 at 12:01 AM. )

fesdds
Mar 17, 2006, 11:11 PM

I had a G3 800MHz iBook for 2 years 7 months continually having problems with Logic Board. Finally with it still under AppleCare they got me a new unit: G4 1.2GHz iBook, now with Airport Extreme, But they gave me the stock RAM when I previously had it maxed out. I didn't make a big deal about that, because my new model was far superior than my old one.

vinster
Senior User
Mar 17, 2006, 11:58 PM

They refuse to even replace my model.

They will only repair it AGAIN.

I emailed Steve Jobs with the supplied email -- maybe that will get something done.

I am getting sick of this.

Advice?
You need to escalate this to Apple customer relations if you haven't done so already. They will be able to handle the replacement (the normal repair channels aren't able to do this). Just call the normal support number and nicely request to speak with someone in customer relations. Make sure you have all the previous case numbers. Provide the rep with those and calmly explain that you've been without the powerbook for some time and need to get resolution. Just be polite and pragmatic about the issue. Apple has a policy in place for replacements so if you fall into that you'll get a new powerbook. I got my rev B replaced with the rev C 11 months into warranty because they couldn't source a replacement 80GB HD in a reasonable time. I just had to go through the various escalations until it got to the replacement step. The whole process took about a month from beginning to end.

Good luck!

vinster
Senior User
Mar 18, 2006, 12:00 AM

db hiccup...

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 10:39 AM

They set up a repair for me (I got an email), but I think I'll give Customer Relations a call this morning..

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2006, 01:45 PM

Screech, there is no reason for Apple to upgrade you to a MBP. Your PB is only 3 months old and Apple has enough of them in stock.

I do agree the very least they could do is give you a brand new PB.

The PB is a great product, unfortunately you happened to be one of the very few who is having an annoying problem that does not seem to be getting resolved.

Pete is correct, a letter to the BBB may be in order since you are getting conflicting info and being given the run around.

Vinster also makes a good point about politely escalating the issue.

Finally, Steve Jobs does ready email that is sent to him. I know because I got a response from a rep after I sent an email to him. However, his email is filtered by an assistance and he will only read emails that provide constructive criticism. Almost 100% of the time any emails about problems with an individual product (such as your case) are handed off to customer care.

Make sure you keep detailed records of every call.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 02:20 PM

I LOVE APPLE!

A great company indeed.. one that cares about the customer. I think the Steve email got to them.

Custoemr relations was aware of my trouble with their support and the obvious trouble with the Powerbook.

They are sending me a 1.83 MBP and a video iPod. I will be getting a call within the next few days with the rest of the MBP stats.

vinster
Senior User
Mar 18, 2006, 02:34 PM

I LOVE APPLE!

A great company indeed.. one that cares about the customer. I think the Steve email got to them.

Custoemr relations was aware of my trouble with their support and the obvious trouble with the Powerbook.

They are sending me a 1.83 MBP and a video iPod. I will be getting a call within the next few days with the rest of the MBP stats.
Good result (the good-will gesture of a free iPod's a nice touch, too). Let us know what the specs are on the iPod and MBP when you get them.
( Last edited by vinster; Mar 18, 2006 at 07:31 PM. )

Oneota
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2006, 03:39 PM

That's a pretty sweet deal!

(But, of course, you "absolutely WILL NOT receive a MacBook Pro under any circumstances," right inkhead? )

Same kind of thing happened with a G5 at work - we had a June '04-era Dual 2.5 that just wouldn't quit crashing, and after enough complaining, they just took it back and sent us a Quad-core instead. Pretty great of them, especially since the machine was out of warranty when the trouble started. I think the fact that we spent enough $ on replacement parts and labor to have paid for the machine a second time helped. They literally replaced just about every part in the machine before replacing it (including 2 logic boards).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

asodamiac
Senior User
Mar 18, 2006, 04:04 PM

Should have made that bet with inkhead...

Wow, congrats!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 07:24 PM

If this is really true then wow. That would indeed be above and beyond the call of duty.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mintcake
If this is really true then wow. That would indeed be above and beyond the call of duty.
I agree. Although I am not surprised about the MBP, I am surprised at the iPod, especially the most EXPENSIVE iPod. I am sure you would have been happy with an 1G iPod nano, or even JUST a MBP.

That is great though.

Congratulations.

Let us know what you think of it.
-R

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2006, 02:13 PM

if this is true, then well done
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 03:02 PM

My biology teacher had a 20in RevB iMac that recently got fried. His fans started constantly going and the next day, the computer was totally fried. He took it into the Apple Store, got it fixed, and took it back to school. A few days later, it died again, so he took it back. He came back with a 20in Dual Core with 1.5GB of RAM; he only paid a marginal price on the RAM.

It does happen... especially since RevBs aren't exactly still in stock. AppleCare is a complete pain if it's even partially your fault, but on clean-cut cases (read "logic board"), it's a blessing.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 03:23 PM

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2006, 03:50 PM

Anyone have any experience in how they deal with failed logic boards when the cause was probably a surge or spike? Any quibbles? This is how my last powerbook failed (after two years) and why I've gone with AppleCare this time around.

Brohammed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2006, 12:17 PM

I'm in the middle of the same dispute today (screwed up M key and Airport drops constantly). They want to send me a MBP because they no longer have new 15"PB's.

I checked one out at store for 1/2 hour...not very happy with the heat...top and bottom of MBP is VERY warm.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brohammed
I'm in the middle of the same dispute today (screwed up M key and Airport drops constantly). They want to send me a MBP because they no longer have new 15"PB's.

I checked one out at store for 1/2 hour...not very happy with the heat...top and bottom of MBP is VERY warm.
What model was it? What were you doing with it?

I am a Macbook pro "owner" and I feel the MBP is a lot cooler than my 1st Generation 12" ALU pbook.

The only place where it is somewhat warm is the at the bottom near the screen and at the hinge at the top but neither of those regions are anywhere near as hot as my pbook would get.

I did not notice any significant heat when playing back 720p H264 videos for a half hour either.

Could it be that the store demo is the top end model (2.16) or with fans clogged with dust?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

cgijon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2006, 01:35 PM

Inkhead "watch me insert my foot into my mouth & down to my stomach"

Your posts border on harrasment Inkhead. Grow up.
( Last edited by cgijon; Mar 23, 2006 at 03:01 PM. )

Screech  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 10:31 AM

Well, things have gotten drastically worse since I last talked to you guys.

Apple called me a few days later and claimed that they never promised to replace my machine, and offered to again repair the machine. I threatened to call the BBB but then backed off and decided to give them one more chance.

I get it back, it's worse than ever. You wouldn't believe it, but it's true. It freezes CONSTANTLY (more than my adware-ridden Windows system), causing me to Force Quit, the AirPort is still not holding its signal, and it came back physically damaged again!

And they continue to refuse to even send me a new PowerBook. I don't know where to go from here, the high-up Apple representative that responded to my Steve Jobs email wants me to send the machine directly to him.

I don't know where to go from here -- suggestions?

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 12:01 PM

Send it to him. What do you have to lose?

Tom

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

Well, things have gotten drastically worse since I last talked to you guys.

Apple called me a few days later and claimed that they never promised to replace my machine, and offered to again repair the machine. I threatened to call the BBB but then backed off and decided to give them one more chance.

I get it back, it's worse than ever. You wouldn't believe it, but it's true. It freezes CONSTANTLY (more than my adware-ridden Windows system), causing me to Force Quit, the AirPort is still not holding its signal, and it came back physically damaged again!

And they continue to refuse to even send me a new PowerBook. I don't know where to go from here, the high-up Apple representative that responded to my Steve Jobs email wants me to send the machine directly to him.

I don't know where to go from here -- suggestions?
I too am dealing with a rep from the Apple Executive team regarding my MBP whine. First they suggested that I order a second one from PC Mall. So, I did and it to has the annoying whine. So, I call the executive rep and he says to send the new one to Apple for repair and keep the first MBP until I get the new one back from Apple. They send me a repair box but the dispatch number is for my first MBP. So, I again call the rep back and he tells me that dispatch issued the wrong dispatch number. DUH! He tells me he has to send another box and that I can not use the current repair box because the return label has the wrong dispatch number on it.

So, I unpack the new MBP and repack it in the new box with the correct dispatch number and I will be sending it off to Apple for repair. I am sure I will get it back without the whine and in pristine condition. HA! RIGHT!

I have been a loyal Apple customer since the intro of the first MAC back in 1984 and this is the WORST experience I have ever had with Apple.

If you are thinking about buy an MBP don't, at least until the WHINE and HEAT issues have been acknowledged by Apple.

Don't get me wrong, the MBP smokes my 1GHz Ti BP but the WHINE and HEAT issues are a big annoyance.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

lizardgator
Apr 8, 2006, 01:27 PM

H'mm, I guess all the people who advised me to stay away from the rev A MacBook Pro knew what they were talking about. I'm sorry for you guys and hope the problems are acknowledged by Apple and fixed pronto. The problem is I sold my 1.67GHz Powerbook and was really chuffed to buy the MacBook Pro but I'm goig to hold off. I was just about to pull the trigger the other day but to tell the truth I have a great chance to get a loaded Thinkpad T60p at an amazing price and I love the 8 hour battery life the T60p gets with the ultrabay slim battery. I was trying to decide between the two but the ability of dual booting OS X and Windows on the MacBook Pro pushed me back to it even though the battery life is nowhere near as good as the Thinkpad. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out, hopefully Apple will step up to the plate about this.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 07:25 PM

You might ask for a bit of coordination between the levels of support you have contacted here. Tell them about each other, so that they know what is going on.

john h
Apr 8, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
I have a feeling that although the 15" PB is no longer available directly from Apple for consumer purchase, Apple will have a reasonable amount of back stock left to replace defective models.

Chances are you will get a new 15" PB. However, if you got a new 15" MBP, that would be great!!
I really think the Apple Store is out of them. They have distributed them to the retailers. Our CompUSA had about 6 15.3" 1.67 models left in Little Rock. Some of the major retailers were out of them. Amazon only showed a couple of retailers who had them None were offering a discount. I paid full price at MacMall but did get some free RAM and no sales tax. Also a reduced price on Apple Care. The 1.67 is holding its price well on ebay and not that easy to find. I was happy to purchase mine and perhaps next year will look at the Intels when all the bugs are worked out.

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 08:28 PM

OK folks, I can attest that you can recieve a MACBOOK PRO as a replacement for a PB 15" 1.5 model. It happened to me about two weeks ago. Lets start the journey.
All in all you have to have applecare transfer you to talk to customer care. Now this is what qualified me to recieve a new MACBOOK PRO 1.8. I have had 3 "depot level" repairs and 2 in store repairs. Now, according to the CC rep, apple does not have anymore 15" 1.5 in their stock which is different to the stores for Customer Replacements. He did give me the option of recieving the latest 17" model, but I told him that for what I needed it for 15" is the size I needed. He told me that I would be on a wait for about 3-6 weeks due to the demand.
I'm in the Navy on constantly going out to sea and asked if I can just get my replacement from the store here in San Diego "fashion valley". He told me due to the demand of the MACBOOK PRO he would have to get the authorization from the store manager. Which he did and now I have my Applecare Replacement MACBOOK PRO 1.8.
When I first went into the store and told the Genius Bar guys they were like no apple doesn't do that, but when they looked up my case number, they were like damnn dude how did pull that off. Now all I gotta do is go get my RAM 2gb. (that's why I actually came here to see if anyone posted anywhere to get any good deals on RAM for it)
only one thing that i am really missing out is being able to use my EVDO card. Hopefully dell novatel got something in the works according to evdoinfo.com. Oh well ne1 don't believe me I'll feel free to prove it somehow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules