Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Removing duplicates and unwanted apps from the 'open with' contextual menu

Removing duplicates and unwanted apps from the 'open with' contextual menu
maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 02:32 AM

How can I remove duplicate applications and other unwanted applications from the 'open with' contextual menu? QuickTime player, for example, shows up twice in my 'open with' menu. This is getting really annoying. A spotlight search shows that I only have one copy of all these duplicate applications installed too...

I already searched the forums, and I found a thread that did not answer my question (http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...pen+with+menu). I couldn't (for some reason) post a reply to that thread, so I am starting a new one.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 03:28 AM

To remove those duplicate items, donwload the free app OnyX, then go to 'Maintenance' and inside the 'Reset' field mark 'LaunchServices database', then click on 'Execute'.

OnyX site:
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

maceye  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 03:53 AM

thanks, that was exactly what i was looking for!

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 10:05 AM

I too noticed that duplicate issue after using SuperDuper. So I asked Dave Nanian, the developer, if he had insight. His reply:

"The reason you see multiple items, after using SuperDuper!, is because you're creating new copies of the applications (on the backup). Since the paths to these applications are different, LaunchServices puts them in again."

And, if you are not already bored to tears, a bit of background:
In OS X, Launch Services maintains a central data structure, the Launch Services database, in which it records all of the pertinent information about applications and the kinds of document files and URLs they are capable of opening. Whenever a new application becomes known to the system (such as when the user drags it from an installation disk into the Applications folder), the application is registered with Launch Services, which copies the needed information about the application into its database. Launch Services can then use this information to determine the preferred application for opening a given document file or URL.

Well, at least that's the way I understand it.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules