Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > two wireless routers and one cable modem

two wireless routers and one cable modem
suprz
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 11:58 AM

I have a question. where i'm living right now, I have cable internet (cox cable) from the cable modem right now is a Linksys wireless router. what i want to do is have another ethernet cable go from the cable modem to my belkin wireless router in another room. so basically i will have a ethernet cable going to the linksys wireless router, and then another ethernet cable from the cable modem (ethernet splitter 1 to 2) to the belkin wireless router. I'm wondering if i will run into any problems or if anyone here has done the same thing. basically the linksys will run upstairs and the belkin will run downstairs.
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 14, 2006, 07:02 PM

That's not how it works. There's no such thing as a simple "splitter". The closest is a switch or hub.

Your cable most likely does not allow you to connect two devices without a router. It either has to go to a single computer, or directly into a router.

The ideal solution is to have one router, and then to plug a wireless access point (not another router!) into the router.

If you plug one router into another, it will work, but you won't be able to do file sharing between the two networks, and internet performance will be slightly diminished.

tooki

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
That's not how it works. There's no such thing as a simple "splitter". The closest is a switch or hub.

The ideal solution is to have one router, and then to plug a wireless access point (not another router!) into the router.
Most of the time, you CAN make it work with two routers ... you just set the second one (wireless or otherwise) to NOT be the DHCP server, turn on RIP in both directions and, to avoid conflicts, I've found it helpful to have the 2nd router set to a specific IP both in its own internal settings and in the "master" router. This has worked fine for me for a couple of years now both wired and wirelessly and, yes, everything is on the same subnet and file sharing works just fine.

Essentially, its making that second wireless router simply act like an access point. Seems silly (why not just buy an access point ?) but really, it isn't .... due to economies of scale, full-blown wireless routers can often be found for quite a bit less than a simple access point , plus you have a fully functioning 2nd router if you ever need one or your original dies.

My current setup: Netgear 4-port router which feeds down to a simple 5-port switch AND to a second, 4-port wireless router. For all intents and purposes, the second router operates as a combination switch/wireless access point. Works fine as long as both routers are clear of what the IP of the wireless router is and the master router is the only DHCP server on the network.

Seattle
Apr 14, 2006, 08:18 PM

It sounds like you already have the routers but if you don't some routers have a bridge mode that lets them work like an access point. I have five belkin routers in my house and one is setup as an access point and the others are in bridge mode. So my wired and wireless are on the same subnet. I also have an Airport but that is for other wireless devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules