Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What RAM for mac mini

What RAM for mac mini
Gordio
Apr 16, 2006, 10:18 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=147&Order=pri
http://www.apple.com/macmini/whatsinside.html
I was wondernig what RAM works for the mac mini. I used to be good at this when i was a PC user but iI stopped caring about computer upgrading when i got my powerbook (and my mini later on). Anyway which of these would work? All I know is mac uses PC2-5300 667 mhz ram, and maxes out at two 1 gig sticks. The newegg sells this ram at various voltages--a variable i didn't know about. Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 12:34 AM

The voltage is usually 1.8V for DDR2.
You went down the wrong path at Newegg; you need SO-DIMMs instead of full size DIMMs. Here's the correct link.

Gordio  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 12:58 AM

thanks can't believe i missed that important detail. I don't even know hwy they h ave so many PC2-5300+ types of RAM. PCs, the larger market, barely uses them yet. i once found the right one a while ago, then now i check and i forgot how i got there (i forgot macs use laptop equipment)

ima buy the gig stick now i guess. the first one in that link has a review by a mac user, so i guess it's a safe bet.

edit: i remember coming across this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16820145012 it used to have like 2 reviews one complaint for mac. now it has tons of complaints on OSX. i'm not poor so ima get the crucial one. thanks
( Last edited by Gordio; Apr 17, 2006 at 01:08 AM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 04:21 AM

get your ram from outpost.com....good ram for dirt cheap prices. i got 2 gigs loaded in my imac 17" and only payed a total of $155
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Gordio  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 08:45 PM

eh too late. i was thinking of visiting fry's , but for RAM? too far for just that wasn't worth it (plus, i wasn't sure if they 'd have it).

Forum Links
Forum Rules