Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > UK: Muslim students protest against fundamentalist teachings

UK: Muslim students protest against fundamentalist teachings
moodymonster
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 08:56 AM

MUSLIM students training to be imams at a British college with strong Iranian links have complained that they are being taught fundamentalist doctrines which describe nonMuslims as “filth”.

The text that has upset some students is the core work in their Introduction to Islamic Law class and was written by Muhaqqiq al-Hilli, a 13thcentury scholar. The Hawza Ilmiyya website states that “the module aims to familiarise the student with the basic rules of Islamic law as structured by al-Hilli”.

Besides likening unbelievers to filth, the al-Hilli text includes a chapter on jihad, setting down the conditions under which Muslims are supposed to fight Jews and Christians.

The text is one of a number of books that some students say they find “disturbing” and “very worrying”. Their spokesman told The Times: “They are being exposed to very literalist interpretations of the Koran. These are interpretations that would not be recognised by
80 or 90 per cent of Muslims, but they are being taught in this school.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...142403,00.html

Worrying that it was even taught in the UK, but kudos to the students for speaking out.

A good sign in my view.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster

Worrying that it was even taught in the UK, but kudos to the students for speaking out.

A good sign in my view.
Maybe they saw this?

Probably not.

But let it be the sign of change!
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by abe
But let it be the sign of change!
That must've been extremely difficult for you to type out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
That must've been extremely difficult for you to type out.
You shouldn't stereoTYPE.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by abe
You shouldn't stereoTYPE.
You're on a role. Keep talking. Irony is one of my favorite types of humor.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
You're on a role. Keep talking. Irony is one of my favorite types of humor.
Your failure to follow or understand my posts can, understandably, become the source of amusement. But, once again the laugh is on you. I've been calling for moderate Muslims to protest the fundamentalist's actions from my earliest days here.

You find that funny?

Ironic?

It's ironic only because if my advice had been followed then much of the problems we have now might have been avoided or prevented.

But you just keep on laughin and I'll keep dropping these pearls of wisdom before your feets.

You may think that's funny, too. Then in a year or two you'll discover something ELSE I suggested suddenly seems brilliant to you but you won't remember I told you.

Now THAT'S FUNNY!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 01:07 PM

Anti-protest protests usually aren't any good.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by moodymonster

A good sign in my view.
I'm amazed it made the news. Happens in every 1/100 times (being generous towards the media) Muslims do something against extermism.

Would be great if they did more of this.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by abe
It's ironic only because if my advice had been followed then much of the problems we have now might have been avoided or prevented.
Because you have such good advice?

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 11:11 AM

It just shows that the average Muslim is not a bloodthirsty beast.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Your failure to follow or understand my posts can, understandably, become the source of amusement. But, once again the laugh is on you. I've been calling for moderate Muslims to protest the fundamentalist's actions from my earliest days here.
It occured to me, especially with your recent rash of cartoons, that your support for moderate Muslims and understanding of Islam is very open ended. You say something supportive, perhaps even coherent, then go back to generalizing and stereotypes. I'd imagine that's where several other posters got the idea that all you do is Google for stuff, then pretend you know about everything.

Your messages and subsequent replies remind me of old ladies gossiping in the salon. You put up a callous front about how you like everyone, then the second one of them leaves, you get together with the rest of them and talk up unfounded rumors about poor Ethyl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules