Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cd label solution for mac

Cd label solution for mac
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2006, 08:25 AM

hi

can anyone suggest any Cd label creating solution for the Mac?

as I have only come across PC versions

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2006, 08:40 AM

Toast Titanium version 6.x and 7.x come with Discus RE. I've never used it mind you. I use MS Word and a template for my Memorex labels. Then use wordart to overlay text onto the label.

Good luck
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2006, 02:31 PM

"Solution" is too vague: what are your needs?

MagicMouse Discus is a solid program. If you need automated disc reproduction/printing, several companies sell them for Mac.

And as CyberGreg said, you can always make labels in other programs, too.

tooki

mishakim
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 12:55 PM

from my time in the auto industry (doing reliability studies on electronic components), here's my solution: never, ever, put a paper label on a disc that you're going to put in a slot-loading drive. CD-R (etc.) media are generally thicker than commercial CDs. They're still within spec, but adding a label can make them too thick. Between being potentially too thick in the first place, and the heat from the computer causing the glue to soften, the labels tend to get caught inside drive mecanisms and break things. This is especially true for discs that you plan to use in a car, as the instrument panel gets even hotter than a computer.

Several companies make printers that can print on approriately configured discs, so I'd stick with those. Unfortunately, I don't know what to reccomend there.

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 01:57 PM

I know that LaCie makes external CD/DVD Burner drives that feature the Lightscribe laser etching technology, which is better than using labels. Only downside is that you have to purchase the specific Lightscribe media to be able to do those kinds of labels.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

dan777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 11:30 AM

There's a pretty good list of label apps at CD-Trays - Print Directly on CD / DVD's with Your Canon Inkjet Printer Using Our Disc Dabber Tray on their software page. Some are only Mac and some are both. They all handle applied labels and direct cd and dvd printing. Applied labels have rare but disasterous problems. The website also shows how to avoid applying labels if you have a Canon printer. I've printed a few hundred discs so far without any problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules