Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row - Performance/Memory hog?

Front Row - Performance/Memory hog?
mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2006, 01:31 AM

I just picked up a MacBook Pro (base model).

Front Row seems to be a very laggy program, navigation lags often. After it closes, OS X seems a lot slower. My itunes has skipped, the volume controls lag. Twice I have checked activity monitor and have seen "rcd (not responding)". I googled it and it seems to have to do with the Front row app.

This most recent incident, I had to kill rcd again, and noticed that the Front Row app was using 330 MB of memory . That time, all I did was play a song in it, then ESC out.

I have a total of 512mb (waiting for my ram upgrade to come in the mail).

Is there something wrong with Front row? It seems to also take a few presses of the remote before Front row even activates.

I've had the macbook about 3 hours and havent touched the factory install.
MBP 1.83

jasong
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 10:39 PM

You sure you've got the latest 10.4 updates? I think 10.4.6 smooths out Front Row. Either way, word out there seems to be that Front Row needs RAM.
-- Jason

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
May 1, 2006, 10:53 PM

I think Front Row uses a lot of resources--it's equivalent to opening multiple apps, which isn't going to work well with 512 MB of RAM . Things will probably be a lot smoother when you get more memory.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
I just picked up a MacBook Pro (base model).

Front Row seems to be a very laggy program, navigation lags often. After it closes, OS X seems a lot slower. My itunes has skipped, the volume controls lag. Twice I have checked activity monitor and have seen "rcd (not responding)". I googled it and it seems to have to do with the Front row app.

This most recent incident, I had to kill rcd again, and noticed that the Front Row app was using 330 MB of memory . That time, all I did was play a song in it, then ESC out.

I have a total of 512mb (waiting for my ram upgrade to come in the mail).

Is there something wrong with Front row? It seems to also take a few presses of the remote before Front row even activates.

I've had the macbook about 3 hours and havent touched the factory install.
Yes there is something wrong with Front Row. I experience the same problem as you. It does not happen all the time but when it happens i'll take 90+% of the processing. You can kill it through activity monitor. It is annoying. And that is with the latest 10.4.7 on a MBP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules