Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot camp and partitions

Boot camp and partitions
dragonbong
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 06:30 PM

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has created multiple partitions so that both Windows and OS X can access a common folder. Say 1: 32gb partition for a common folder, 1 for OSX and 1 NTFS for Windows. The partitions would be made b/4 using boot camp obviously. Would this work?

Cheers,

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 08:46 PM

I think bootcamp only allows you to make the two partitions. You can, however, format your windows drive as FAT32, and then you can both read and write to it from OS X. I find that's sufficient, as I can just transfer things over from OS X when I need them. There's also some third party program (Mac Disk?) that lets you access mac disks from windows.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

dragonbong  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2006, 04:32 AM

Yah, boot camp only does 1 for you hence doing the partitions before using bootcamp. The purpose of having the extra partition would be so that one would not have to reboot into the other OS and have access to the "shared" partition in their own environment. The FAT32 would be for sharing and NTFS for the windows portion. I was just wondering if this would work? Theoretically I think it would.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 11:13 PM

If you get this to work, please post back. That's the partition scheme I'd like to have, too.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2006, 10:51 AM

While I don't know of a built-in method to get this to work, a third party partition manager such as PartitionMagic should do the trick. Install it under Windows and use it to subdivide the NTFS partition into one NTFS and one FAT32. You will likely have to ensure that the Mac boots to Windows automatically to get PM to do this for you correctly; it cannot (at least the version I have) operate on the partition that Windows is running on while running Windows, so it has to boot into the "preboot environment" to do its thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules