Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Exchange or not to exchange

Exchange or not to exchange
Heebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 11:37 AM

I have a MBP that's about a month and a half old that I'm try to figure out if its worth it to try and exchange at the Apple store where I bought it.

Sometimes, the computer doesn't sleep properly. A number of times now I have closed the lid and thought the book was sleeping only to find later a boiling hot machine with a solid light. This last time it was in a neoprene sleeve and when I pulled it out I smelled that hot electronics smell and I couldn't touch any part of the machine without pain. I don't leave any programs running when i put the machine to sleep so I don't know what's causing it. It only happens once in awhile though so I couldn't really show a mac genius how it malfunctions. After one of these episodes, when I open the lid the screen is black and the only way I can get the machine running again is to pop out the battery. I'm afraid that over time the components inside will fry or that it will melt the neoprene sleave I carry it in. I swear I thought the light was blinking before I put it away.

On the other hand, my MBP is silent-no whining noise or any noise at all. It gets boiling hot during normal use however.

So, is it worth the trouble of trying to exchange it and then transferring all my data? Should I just keep it and wait for it to crap out on me and have it replaced under applecare? I know Apple has said the heat is normal, but the sleeping problem I have isn't. Oh yeah, the MBP I have came with a minor warp in the lid--not a big deal but perhaps another angle for an exchange?

shiff
Forum Regular
May 6, 2006, 08:07 PM

I would be suprised if they would exchange it. They will probably take it and send it off to apple for repair, or they may take one look at the warped lid and say you did it and not do anything.

Who knows though as sometimes you get a nice person, but sometimes these things just turn into nightmares. You never really know until you try. It is your money you paid so why be satisfied with a machine that has problems. Apple should make it right if you are not satisfied. Unfortunately how long they sometimes take to do so can be really bad.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2006, 01:54 AM

you could send it for repair but its too late to return or exchange it. its a 15 day return or exchange even if you are having problems and malfunctions.

sending it in for repair seems like the best bet
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Forum Links
Forum Rules