Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Latch or Magnet?

View Poll Results: Which closing system of the screen do you prefer?
Poll Options:
Latch (With clickable latches) 2 votes (66.67%)
Magnetic (With magnets) 1 votes (33.33%)
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll
Latch or Magnet?
golden_zap
May 6, 2006, 08:46 PM

Hi. I'm deciding on which laptop to purchase and I was considering between a Sony laptop or the Apple Macbook Pro.

Sonys have a magnetic screen (which closes using magnet), and my question is: which would you prefer?

If there was a choice between magnet or latching the Macbook pro, which would you go with?

For me, I would go with the magnet because I wouldn't have to worry about breaking off a latch like I did with my old laptop.

Thanks.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 6, 2006, 08:50 PM

Dude the MacBook pro has two latches that are pulled down by magnets. In other words you can't break the latch off without taking a hammer to your laptop. This is even better than the Sony way because there's a physical latch, but it's not in the way, it's only pulled down when it's needed to latch. It's quite a cool design.

golden_zap  (op)
May 6, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Dude the MacBook pro has two latches that are pulled down by magnets. In other words you can't break the latch off without taking a hammer to your laptop. This is even better than the Sony way because there's a physical latch, but it's not in the way, it's only pulled down when it's needed to latch. It's quite a cool design.
Oh, the MacBook uses magnets AND latches? Hmm, last time I went to the Apple Store I didn't notice this...

Salty
Professional Poster
May 7, 2006, 01:25 AM

It's not the sort of thing you notice... that's the good thing about Apple. You only notice their best stuff when you don't have it.

ibook_steve
May 8, 2006, 01:32 PM

Umm...would you really choose a machine based on the latch design?

In any case, as stated, a magnet in the bottom case pulls the concealed latch out of the top case as you close the lid. Simple. Nothing to catch on and nothing to break.

Steve

explosivpotato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2006, 12:50 AM

thats really interesting, as my current 17 inch g4 seems to have a fluid motion of the hooks coming out of the top of the clamshell as the screen gets close to the rest of the machine, indicating a mechanical linkage between the angle of the screen and the position of the hooks. was this a change made for the MPB's?
17" lo-res 1.67GHz alubook,
100gig 5400rpm hdd, 1gig ram, soon to be 1.5 when my funds are up to par.

ibook_steve
May 9, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato
thats really interesting, as my current 17 inch g4 seems to have a fluid motion of the hooks coming out of the top of the clamshell as the screen gets close to the rest of the machine, indicating a mechanical linkage between the angle of the screen and the position of the hooks. was this a change made for the MPB's?
The angle has nothing to do with it and never has. The strength of the magnets and the elasticity of the springs that attach to the latches is all that matters. These are measured values to determine at point the latches should come out.

Steve

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 01:43 AM

Yep, iBooks too! It's really nifty!

I honestly have never played with the pure-magnet design, but it seems cool too.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

golden_zap  (op)
May 9, 2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Umm...would you really choose a machine based on the latch design?
Steve
Well, I was just curious since i own an extremely old Sony laptop with the latch design and it snapped off. but sony has turned to the magnetic design now. so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules