Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B&W G3 ZIF Upgrade Recommendations and Tips

B&W G3 ZIF Upgrade Recommendations and Tips
jfpoole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 01:12 PM

I have a B&W G3 400 Mhz running OS X 10.3.9. I'd like to get a new mac altogether but for now I can only afford to upgrade my current one. I'd like to go with maybe a G4 1Ghz so that I can run Photoshop and Dreamweaver at a more normal pace (they currently run sluggish, esp. Dreamweaver).

- First I would like general recommendations on brands and best place to find good deals (I was thinking OWC).

- I'd also like to know if I should get Altivec. I'm not even that clear what Altivec is actually, but based on the programs I'd like to run above I'd like to know whether I need it or can even run it on a G3.

- Lastly, is the ZIF upgrade process difficult and is there a good site with a guide for doing this?

Any other information, caveats and such is appreciated.

Thanks

jfpoole  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

One other thing I just thought of - do I need to upgrade my PC100 RAM at all in this process or is that irrelevant here?

Still kinda wondering if in the long run it's best both in performance and economic terms just to go with a newer mac, refurbished/secondhand, .
( Last edited by amon; May 4, 2006 at 01:32 PM. )

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
May 4, 2006, 02:15 PM

Upgrading the RAM is irrelevent. Stick with what you got.

This update will barely help. I don't suggest it.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 03:21 PM

If you are going to upgrade, stay away from the G4 processors - they slow down your bus speed in order to work. Get one of the G3 upgrades from PowerLogix. I upgraded a blue & white a few years ago with a PowerLogix 900MHz G3 and it is still running. It's a back up machine now, but has no problem running any of the Adobe CS2 apps. The upgrade only takes about 10 minutes to remove the old processor and drop in the new one. If you are willing to invest about $200 in your machine, get the PowerLogix 1GHz G3.

jfpoole  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
This update will barely help. I don't suggest it.
That's kind of what I'm worried about. If the difference will be that insignificant, then I'm not so sure I'll go this route.

waxcrash: Thanks for the info. My Photoshop CS runs pretty good. It's when I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 that I notice the sluggishness. Even just clicking between two open document windows brings up the spinning color wheel.
( Last edited by amon; May 5, 2006 at 06:49 PM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by amon
That's kind of what I'm worried about. If the difference will be that insignificant, then I'm not so sure I'll this route.

waxcrash: Thanks for the info. My Photoshop CS runs pretty good. It's when I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 that I notice the sluggishness. Even just clicking between two open document windows brings up the spinning color wheel.
How much RAM do you have?

$200 for a new proc. + $100 for some more RAM is half the cost of a mini which will be faster and be undr warranty. I have a b&w G3 and I use it as a music server since it wasn't worth upgrading all the components.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jfpoole  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 06:49 PM

768 MB RAM.

I was looking at the minis, however I would sort of feel obligated to upgrade my monitor if I got one. I'd feel silly hooking up an old Viewsonic CRT to that thing. So that would double the cost.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 03:39 PM

Max da ram to 1GB, that will give a good bit of a boost at a nominal cost.
And then head over to xlr8yourmac.com to learn how to overclock your cpu for FREE.......

linky:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/OC.html
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
Max da ram to 1GB, that will give a good bit of a boost at a nominal cost.
From 768MBs? I doubt it.

As for the CPU overclock, most of the 400MHz G3s I've come across have been aluminum based and don't overclock very well. Even the copper ones have problems reaching 500MHz.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

guzzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2006, 12:24 AM

Alrighty!
Everyone seems all over the place on whether to upgrade an old Mac or not to upgrade.
I guess I'll add my 2pence for what it's worth.
If you can't afford a newer or new Mac, then my opinion is to go the upgrade route.
Put the total 1 GB of RAM in.
With OS X the more RAM , the better!
OWC has a G3 1.0 GHz upgrade ZIF from Power Logic $200
It runs at thae B &W G3's bus speed of 100 Mhz.
This should make many tasks more snappy.
If possible, and additional cost is not issue. either replace or add an internal 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive.
OS X likes plenty of free HD space to do its thing, also.
The upgrade costs maybe close to a Mac Mini or newer cost Mac, but with say a Mini, you may end up deciding whether to update your monitor which will not be that cheap. An older PowerPC Mini may still run $300-$400, you'll still need to add more RAM, plus with a new monitor could set you back around $1000 bucks.
Upgrading should keep it at or below $500, if you include upgrading the hard drive.
I upgraded my older G3 beige and kept that machine for nearly 7 years before purchasing the last of the "new" G4 MDD's that Apple was discontinuing with the new inroduction of the G5.

OreoCookie
May 8, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by amon
I was looking at the minis, however I would sort of feel obligated to upgrade my monitor if I got one. I'd feel silly hooking up an old Viewsonic CRT to that thing. So that would double the cost.
That wouldn't double the cost of the upgrade. If you feel compelled to buy a new screen with a new computer, maybe you just need a new monitor in the first place? However that decision should be made independently of the computer.

I would suggest you use the search feature and read through old discussions on that very topic. Consensus seems to be that 1) G4 upgrades for BW G3s are not recommended and actually slower. 2) If you do upgrade such an old machine, make sure to add all costs in advance.

Also, the graphics card is also a bottle neck that cannot be removed by upgrades since you are stuck with pci graphics cards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules