Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Gonna get some serious RAM

Gonna get some serious RAM
the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 11:07 AM

Ok, I have a G5 (Dual 2.0), I have 512 megs DDR2, please dont laugh or make fun of me. I want some serious RAM, I will be doing Photosop work, as well as Soundrtack Pro Work. I want the full 16 Gigs, lets just take an "aww yea" moment.....Ok, Is it worth going with Apples DDR2? I used Crucial for my PowerBook, and have heard it's just as good. Is there some good brand that wont be so hard on the wallet? If so, please tell me.

Thanks.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 11:19 AM

You will have to be using a few more apps than that to actually use all 16gb. How about get a 2gb kit and then consider more in the future.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
You will have to be using a few more apps than that to actually use all 16gb. How about get a 2gb kit and then consider more in the future.
Exactly. Buy 2GB of RAM and a few books so that you actually learn how to use those applications.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 06:35 PM

I would say 4GBs would be optimal. 1GB for the OS and 3rd party software and extensions to do their things, 2GBs just for Photoshop, and another GB incase you load up Illustrator or another app. Basically, just to avoid swap.

16GBs is probably overkill. 2GBs would probably be fine, too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator: Exactly. Buy 2GB of RAM and a few books so that you actually learn how to use those applications.

Whats that supposed to mean?

OreoCookie
Apr 18, 2006, 05:13 AM

Getting that much RAM just for brag contests is pointless. If you don't know how much RAM you need, 2 GB is a safe start. If you really need more, get 1 or 2 more.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 06:30 AM

Between 2 and 4 Gig of RAM should be fine, as has been said above.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 08:23 AM

I have 4Gb and After Effects don't recognize more than 3Gb.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 10:10 PM

just buy as much ram as your wallet can handle. it's your computer after all.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 21, 2006, 07:11 AM

if you have loads of money to spend on ram, go nuts. aww yea... 16gb....

but how about spending it on something else for your mac? how much does 16gb cost? it sounds like a lot.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 08:20 AM

PhotoShop CS2 will use 4 gig of RAM then uses the hard drive as a scratch disc. If you have 8 gig of RAM it will use the second 4 gig as the scratch disc first. I do not know if it can use more. If you have a bunch of programs open then maybe more RAM would be usefull.

aehaas

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
if you have loads of money to spend on ram, go nuts. aww yea... 16gb....

but how about spending it on something else for your mac? how much does 16gb cost? it sounds like a lot.
Well, I mean I have been saving up for a very long time for this. I have a lot in reserve, trust me, for a mac, it's no problem at all.

OreoCookie
Apr 21, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Well, I mean I have been saving up for a very long time for this. I have a lot in reserve, trust me, for a mac, it's no problem at all.
Well, it's still not a good idea to waste your money. Rather than getting 12 GB you don't use, how about a second display?

OreoCookie
Apr 21, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by aehaas
PhotoShop CS2 will use 4 gig of RAM then uses the hard drive as a scratch disc. If you have 8 gig of RAM it will use the second 4 gig as the scratch disc first. I do not know if it can use more. If you have a bunch of programs open then maybe more RAM would be usefull.

aehaas
Yeah, but what's the point? I don't think the OP is working on projects that necessitate 4 GB of RAM.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 05:22 PM

There's no reason to rush out and buy all the RAM you can right now. I'd only advise someone to do such a thing if there were some global disruption in DRAM supply like the one that occurred in the early '90s.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 06:01 PM

16GB is waste for everything but 64-bit scientific applications. Get 4GB and use the rest for another display.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 06:26 PM

As everyones said - Ger between 2 and 4 gig, get crucial ram. No idea how much it costs - i got 2.5gig for my dual 2ghz g5 - but that was a couple of years ago - when they first came out.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Well, it's still not a good idea to waste your money. Rather than getting 12 GB you don't use, how about a second display?
I like the way you think...

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 08:56 AM

waste not, want not !

Get the 4GB now, then watch the prices, they will come down in the furture, and the load up some more. But right now, you could spend the other cash on more peripherals, applications, HDD's and/or accessories
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006, 09:11 PM

Get as much RAM that you can buy, but wait til DDR10 comes out so the prices would be a lot cheaper.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by the macimum
Ok, Is it worth going with Apples DDR2?
No. Apple simply overcharges for stuff you can get elsewhere for cheaper. It's the same (or better!) unit. Get 4GB and you'll be fine.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2006, 09:59 PM

don't wait too long tho, for memory prices to drop..... if you wait as long as i did for OldWorld SiMM memory, you may actually not be able to find any!!!

In the end, i had to visit a Mac repair shop and ask them to pull out some working 32MB simms from their machines to sell me. I got a "fair" deal for my old Mac... but for the same price, i could've gotten a 128mb or 256mb DiMM for my PC!!!

(i don't trust ebay....)

merp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 10:40 PM

I'd start out with the 2GB to begin with, then play around, and see if you really need more. I bet you won't. It's very hard to get any of the big media apps (save Photoshop) to really consume tons of RAM. I've got 2.75GB, and I've never hit the pagefile. I"m upgrading to 6GB, as this system is destined to be a "workstation," where I'll be doing analysis on +4GB files. I can't imagine needing more than that for anything short of serious scientific endeavors, and even then, it's bought knowing that CPUs really aren't fast enough for a single system to warrant that kind of memory size, and that you'll have to do it all over again in only five years when the newest systems are ten times faster than the machine for which you've bought all that now-obsolete RAM.

/i'd considered maxing mine
//it's twice the cost of the 6GB option
///so, 6GB it is!

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 03:49 AM

I would just bring it up to 2.5 gigs, and see how it goes. You can always add more later, and I'm guessing that 2.5G will be enough. At my old job, my G5 had 2.5 gigs, and I never started paging out. I would have 20 or 30 InDesign documents and 15 or 20 photoshop files open at once. (My job was to extract text, images and data from InDesign files and then convert everything to html/web.)

If you're thinking "maybe I'll need it later", buy it later. It will be way cheaper then anyway.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

the macimum  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2006, 09:00 PM

Ok thanks, got the 2gigs. (8 256 sticks).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 10:10 PM

Should've went with 4 512 sticks, so you could add more later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules