Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > System freeze after sleep related to removing a digital camcorder

System freeze after sleep related to removing a digital camcorder
Thanar
Mar 14, 2002, 06:39 PM

Hello,

A few hours ago I suffered a serious system freeze and lost lots of work. Here's the whole story:

- I had connected my Canon MV-400i to the firewire port in order to import some scenes using iMovie. I imported a few scenes to iMovie. Didn't save the work. I then put iMovie to the background to try a new game (2D, nothing heavy here).
- Later on, I switched off the camcorder since it was running low on batt.
- Later on, I switched on the camcrder for a few more shots. Done that, didn't save the work.
- I then lwft my office for some bussiness meeting.
- When I returned, the mac was in deep sleep. I pushed the mouse button to wake it up. The HD spun up as it should, but the monitor and mouse light did not come up. I tried removing FW-USB cables, no luck. I left the mac running for half an hour in case it would come together, no luck either.

Here's what's strange: The reset button (QS G4/733) wouldn't work!!! Never experienced this before! I had to shut it down by pressing the power buttin for 5 secs! Restarting was fine, everything works fine now, but haven;t tested again, since there's not too much time avail.. I will, later, and let you all know!

Is this a known issue? A friend of mine had told me he had a freeze upon removing a FW HD. Is there something wrong with FW support? Anyone having similar problems?

Thanx a lot.

Oh, OS X 10.1.3, no extra h/w except from RAM. I haven't experienced any such freezes b4, except from some KPs while playing Myth 3 and Quake 2.

Thanar  (op)
Mar 20, 2002, 03:01 PM

Just bringing the article to the top, in case you didn't notice it...

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 05:29 PM

In regards to Firewire 1394 that is, there are times when your Mac will freeze when removed, even if done by the book. Apple states that you can install unit �Hot� with units off then turn it on and the computer will see the unit. However you must note that the companies other than Apple don�t always recognize the Apple Firewire port.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules