Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Terrible Truth About Linux

The Terrible Truth About Linux (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
May 11, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Well, I mean, he was just pointing out a joke he thought was funny. A couple of laughing smilies about sums it up —�it's not like he could be expected to have any deep commentary there. I don't really see how you could call that trolling.
Well since you can't see how, it must not be true!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 06:47 PM

Well, I asked him to explain what more he wanted from the original post. Nobody has actually explained what's lacking. It just sounds like you two don't like Macintologist very much.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
May 11, 2006, 10:09 PM

Well, I asked him to explain what more he wanted from the original post. Nobody has actually explained what's lacking. It just sounds like you two don't like Macintologist very much.
I don't like the way people post and run around here lately. It's always done by someone with a partisan chip on their shoulder. For example; SWF hates the USA and periodically posts a news article that casts a negative light on the US. He doesn't comment on the article and he rarely ever returns to the thread to post follow up to questions or comments other people post.

Macintologist does the same think but he posts threads shedding negative light on Republicans. He copies/pastes his posts, doesn't comment, and rarely returns to answer questions or comments.

If you like those kinds of threads, can you imagine if everyone posted a news article they found somewhere and didn't comment. Personally, I think there's enough digg and /. stuff on here already without adding to it with SWF's CNN links and Macintologists anti-republican political posts started in the wrong forum.

But maybe you like that kind of thing. Oh well.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 10:15 PM

Once again, it's not a news article. It's a joke. Would you have been happier if he'd written "LOL it's really funny" at the bottom? I mean, seriously. I don't understand what you would rather he'd done. If somebody posts a news article, sure, they should comment on it so it's not just a repost, but to apply the same rule to humor seems kind of silly.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
May 11, 2006, 10:23 PM

Are you this naive in real life too?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2006, 01:05 AM

Are you this rude in real life?

I would like to note that while you have attacked Macintologist himself and insulted me, you have not clarified specifically what you feel is lacking that would have made this not a post-and-run. I mean, when I read it, I just thought, "Oh, that's kind of funny." I didn't feel like there was a whole lot to be expanded on. It sounds like you felt differently, but won't explain why.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 12, 2006 at 01:16 AM. )
Chuck
___

zmcgill
May 12, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Don't count on it. Remember when Christian groups put out advisories to parents warning them that Sponge Bob has homosexual characteristics and not to let your children watch?
If I remember correctly, I heard a statement from Dr. James Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family, stating that there was a spot done by a tv network promoting kids being nice to each other and acceptance of others and whateot, and it was Sponge Bob that specifically said the line eluding to homosexual acceptance. After that statement was made, the media, internet, and political cartoonists took off with it and pretty much screwed up the original message.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 01:49 AM

If anybody has a question for me (*wink wink* ) go ahead and ask.

meelk
Baninated
May 12, 2006, 02:15 AM

way to fall for a troll site folks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
way to fall for a troll site folks.
Way to read a thread, er, folk.

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2006, 08:10 PM

Are you this rude in real life?

I would like to note that while you have attacked Macintologist himself and insulted me, you have not clarified specifically what you feel is lacking that would have made this not a post-and-run. I mean, when I read it, I just thought, "Oh, that's kind of funny." I didn't feel like there was a whole lot to be expanded on. It sounds like you felt differently, but won't explain why.
Rude? Dude, you don't get it.

I have not "attacked" macintologist. I called him out for his actions. It's a post and run because he didn't return. Most people start a thread and return for the following discussions. Macintologist has in the past made started threads with a partisan slant and didn't return for the following commentary. Quit being dense.

If you feel insulted that's your own thin skin's fault.

Quite a few people have "expanded on" it.

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
If anybody has a question for me (*wink wink* ) go ahead and ask.
You have no comments on what people have said about your post?

Do you usually just say something in a group of people and let them sit and talk about it while you sit and listen? That's lame.

hayesk
May 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I once heard the whole "Stairway to Heaven" cut played backward. I suppose someone might be able to make out real words in that, but I sure couldn't.
Go to the part around "and there's still time to change the road you're on" (or something like that), play that part backwards and you hear something "Here's to my sweet Satan." It's clearly coincidence, but it's quite easy to discern.

Regardless, the article is clearly satire.

hayesk
May 14, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The problem with Shelly being a satirical site is that for satire to be effective, even worth bothering to do at all, it has to be obvious.
That would be pretty bad satire if it was obvious to everyone. Good satire shoud only be obvious to those that disagree the topic, while completely fooling those that agree.

The better it fools those that agree with the topic, the better the satire is.

Kind of like Stephen Colbert. I've seen postings on this board from those that think he's a dyed-in-the-wool republican, as do a lot of his guests.

Forum Links
Forum Rules