Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii and PS3 Controller

Nintendo Wii and PS3 Controller
tthmaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2006, 12:50 PM

Have you guys seen it yet? http://consolewatcher.com/2006/05/e3...roller-videos/

Which one would you prefer in your opinion?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2006, 12:52 PM

Gaming to me is more of a passive activity than it is an active one. The motion sensing idea is cool but I'd have to try it to make up my mind whether it's something that I'll want.

Nintendo seems to have the superior setup...Sony's seems like more of a hack add-on. I guess time will tell what motion sensing can add to gaming.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 05:25 PM

Fear the Lounge !

Even the new controller--a motion sensitive unit designed to turn movement in-hand into movement on-screen--failed to elicit an excited response. Instead, comparisons to Nintendo's earlier announced motion-sensitive one-hand controller were drawn, making the Sony controller seem like an afterthought that game developers will have to consider before working its functionality into their games.

There is a huge difference, Nintendo Wii controller is there to stay. Since Sony's motion controller was built into the console at the very end of the product design and testing, it's unlikely that it will be as integral to the system as Nintendo's, which has been marketed to consumers and implemented in game development since the Wii's inception.

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 07:26 PM

I can't believe Sony is using the same form-factor for its PS3 controllers that it did for PS2. I hate that controller! So uncomfortable. The directional pad is a nightmare of unadulterated thumb agony. I think the GameCube had the best controller of the last gen consoles, so I have high hopes for the Wii (good grief I hate that name!).

I think the Wii offers a serious selling point I haven't seen mentioned much: getting overweight kids (of which there are far too many) off the couch and doing something physical, even if "something physical" involves waving a video game controller around. Do you want your kids sitting in a zombified state running over little old ladies in GTA, or would you prefer they be standing playing a game of virtual tennis? I know which one I'll choose for my family.

Frankly, I can't wait to play Wii with my kids. (Ohhh, how wrong that sounds. Do you realize, Nintendo, how much grief will be caused by this naming fiasco? It's not too late to go back to Revolution...)

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 10, 2006, 10:14 PM

Sony's ghey...just leave it be.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 05:18 PM

I loved the N64 controlled

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by LagunaSol
Frankly, I can't wait to play Wii with my kids. (Ohhh, how wrong that sounds. Do you realize, Nintendo, how much grief will be caused by this naming fiasco? It's not too late to go back to Revolution...)
I couldn't agree more.

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 09:28 AM

I've been reading up on the Nintendo Revolution (aka Wii) since they announced that it'll be coming out. In my opinion, the Revolution will dominate. Nintendo predicts that it'll be uber cheap, possibly being $150 or $99, which is incredible. Not to mention that not everything hasnt been revealed about the controller. Some Nintendo insider rumors are saying that it might even cool down or heat up, say if you're playing a Metroid Prime game, and you go to a lava level - the controller will heat up in your hands, to further increase gameplay. Just some stuff, I already have money set aside for it when Wii comes out. I can't wait.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

turbopants
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 02:13 AM

I guess Sony wants to be consistent in their controller offerings, and add a little flair. It does seem like they added it on at the end.

The Wii does look really great, but I will try it out first before picking it up. I like their approach in this round of consoles.

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
Nintendo predicts that it'll be uber cheap, possibly being $150 or $99, which is incredible.
I haven't seen any indication of that kind of bargain pricing, and I certainly wouldn't count on it. I'm betting $250. $199 if we're lucky.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I've been reading up on the Nintendo Revolution (aka Wii) since they announced that it'll be coming out. In my opinion, the Revolution will dominate. Nintendo predicts that it'll be uber cheap, possibly being $150 or $99, which is incredible. Not to mention that not everything hasnt been revealed about the controller. Some Nintendo insider rumors are saying that it might even cool down or heat up, say if you're playing a Metroid Prime game, and you go to a lava level - the controller will heat up in your hands, to further increase gameplay. Just some stuff, I already have money set aside for it when Wii comes out. I can't wait.

That reminds me of the military gossip about the german army in the 1930s. Everyone had some rumors about some mysterious "Wunderwaffen", even stories about heat or cold-creating ones were told. Also no way these machines will be sold as cheap as you suggest.
Oh and since I am german, übercheap makes sense like megapregnant or so.

Regards,
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules