Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Logo critique: (The) Wizards Chess/t

Logo critique: (The) Wizards Chess/t
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 10:03 PM

I'm looking for some constructive criticism of this logo I made. The person wanted it to be kinda mystical and quirky, but inviting. I got the idea of one of those astrological clocks. The constellation in the middle is Lira. It happens that in Ireland, many pubs (and Guiness itself) carry the lyre as a symbol of community. So this is a spin off the classic lyre (which stems from Lira.) I used the Harrington font, it looks squiggly and wizardy like Harry Potter. You can guess where the name came from.

The text in the ring just doesn't sit right with me. I really like the "Wizards Chess," that's great. Just dunno if I should change the inner text font.

It needed to be very simple with very few colors (dunno why, printing costs?)

Depending on trademark issues, it might be called "The Wizard's Chest," but for now it's Wizards Chess. Even if they go with "The Wizard's Chest," I'm worried about mixed messages from the "Chest" part. Maybe "The Wizard's Toy Chest," but that's kinda long.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 13, 2006, 11:08 PM

You have surpassed few colors really. I'm sure this was created CMYK or RGB, so few colors is a lost option. Logos should work bw and CMYK and preferably black and one spot. However full color digital print is getting more economical. Anyway... design... um...

it's ok. Where's the cliché wizard- it's almost necessary here.
?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 11:15 PM

You are going to have problems making it small. I mean, it's pretty big on here (not Tooki-big, but big none-the-less) and the text is still small. Take the curls in the typeface and they'll turn into blobs when you make this small.

I am not a big fan of the typeface in general, either. It's too light for a display font. It won't "pop" enough to get attention.

I like the constellation, maybe you can come up with a bigger, bolder way to express that constellation as the "icon" and then work on the text to go with it.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Where's the cliché wizard- it's almost necessary here.
I'm still playing with the colors. I have an idea for an old sleepy wizard in the center, maybe put the constellation in his pointy hat with Vega dangling off the top. Typical wizard hat.

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I am not a big fan of the typeface in general, either. It's too light for a display font. It won't "pop" enough to get attention.
Thanks, that's what I was worried about. The larger "Wizards Chess" and subtext scales fine, but the circular text in the middle becomes blotted. I'll look for a more crisp font.

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I like the constellation, maybe you can come up with a bigger, bolder way to express that constellation as the "icon" and then work on the text to go with it.
I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the help guys.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 11:32 PM

Shouldn't there be an apostrophe in "Wizards"? Or are you for aesthetics over correct punctuation?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 11:38 PM

Looks familar.

http://homepage.mac.com/greenamp2/.P...ruepatriot.jpg

Edit: Sorry, I wasn't implying that you copied anything. I wouldn't even care anyway
( Last edited by greenamp; May 13, 2006 at 11:46 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2006, 11:43 PM

First thought: GHEY.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

hndsmman
May 13, 2006, 11:47 PM

1. Use more gradients
2. Use a double outline on "Wizards Chess" and possibly on all the other words. A double outline would look like this:

(it's a macbook release thing for another forum)

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Def Jef
1. Use more gradients
2. Use a double outline on "Wizards Chess" and possibly on all the other words. A double outline would look like this:

(it's a macbook release thing for another forum)
no.

zro
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 12:19 AM

I'd lose the bubbles and as suggested already reduce the number of colors.

A logo should work and be instantly identifiable at all sizes. From a billboard to a tie pin.

hndsmman
May 14, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
no.
??? why no ???

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 09:14 AM

Gradients in logos are ghey. The main focus should be on shape and typesetting, not on 'adding sweet gradients'.

Pigeon: can you host the source file? I'd play with it, but don't feel like redrawing the constellation.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 09:51 AM

My .2 €

You could also replace the "brown" with black and make the type white to reduce colors.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 14, 2006, 08:14 PM

In regards to the original logo... take away all those circles, they clutter up the message. If the place you're making this for deals with chess, squares may identify more (squares, chess board, etc).

Bring that constellation out more. Get rid of the extraneous stars.

You need a focal point in this design - right now it is quite a mish-mash. The main problems I see:
* no focal visual point in the design
* will not scale down small
* will not print well in Black and White or with a single spot color
* not a distinct silhouette

Just some basic missteps on a logo that everyone tends to make, myself included.

So, some ideas to fix this:
* take away all those circles. leave only the six stars of the constellation, possibly make them varying sizes.
* what about making the stars out of small chess board squares? Not sure if it could work...
* omit those small words (board, etc.) out of the main logo. let them be added to the bottom of the logo somehow.
* keep the name of the place, of course - and make it chunkier lettering, like before. Make it stick out. You could use the same font maybe, but add an outline like that, that may look very good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules