Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > internal hard drives

internal hard drives
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2001, 10:26 AM

I am looking for recommendations on an internal hard drive for music, video clips, and still images. This is for personal, home use. I have a Dual 533 G4 and with a recent purchase of a video cam and being in the process of converting our music collection, I am quickly running out of space. I was thinking of Seagate's barracuda 80 gb ATA 100 and devoting it to multimedia storage. Any thoughts? I am trying to estimate if this should be enough room for now and it seems like it but I am new to video so I am not sure. I should also say that about $250 is about all that I can spend right now.

Thanks for any input

fishguy

caifara
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 01:24 PM

It depends of course on how much you want to put on it, how much music and video you want to store. But I think it should be possible to have enough with that amount of Gbs. It depends on the question if you want to delete the things you don't use often.
Give the maxtor drives a thought, I recently purchased a 40Gb disk from them...the thing rules, I didn't know hard drives could be that quiet!
-c
-c

<PSD>
Oct 9, 2001, 01:49 PM

Just remember that 5 minutes of DVD video takes up 1 GB of hard drive space.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2001, 10:48 PM

Check out www.storagereview.com for drive reviews.

80 GB should be plenty for working with digital video (I have a 60 GB and, while more would be nice, it's plenty big enough to be productive). If you're just downloading and storing mpg/avi clips, 80 GB is more than enough.

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2001, 12:25 AM

I've heard good things about the barracuda.
I went for IBMs GXP. Works great for a media drive.
Later
Chuck

Cipher13
Oct 10, 2001, 07:53 AM

I think any modern drive will do nicely; the Deskstar (60GXP) is supposedly the fastest, but not by enough to matter. It can't compare in size to some others (for the same price).

Get the biggest 7200 name-brand drive you can, quite simply. Maxtor, Seagate, IBM, Western Digital...

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2001, 09:28 AM

thanks for info!

fishguy

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2001, 11:01 AM

I just installed an IBM 7200 80GB that I got dirt cheap through a friend of mine (don't we all have one ). It serves as both storage and video drive for my FCP projects, mp3 server & download repository. Works like a charm

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cipher13
Oct 10, 2001, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
<STRONG>I just installed an IBM 7200 80GB that I got dirt cheap through a friend of mine (don't we all have one ). It serves as both storage and video drive for my FCP projects, mp3 server & download repository. Works like a charm </STRONG>
an 80 gig drive?? That's not a 60GXP is it? I thought its max size was 60 gig... did they release a new one with larger/more platters?

Forum Links
Forum Rules