Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Feedback on NEW QT4.0b22 May 4, 1999

Feedback on NEW QT4.0b22 May 4, 1999
47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 1999, 01:38 AM

I'm about to restart my machine so sorry I don't have anything to report. Just wanted to start discussion on any bugfixes that may have been introduced.

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

tomjoad
May 5, 1999, 10:24 AM

Downloaded today. Ithink its faster than prevoius versions.
Mike

jklimeck
May 5, 1999, 12:48 PM

downloaded this morning, not much time to mess with , seems better.

Player does NOT support mp2 (layer II) files, does not know what they are.

Audio geeks like myself know that layer II files encoded at higher bit rates (168-192)
sound better than layer III files at lower rates.

Apple should include this capability in QT 4.0, unless NEW (as of yet unreleased) Layer III encoding codec will make (layer II) obsolete.

Even Oliver Dreer (MPEG Creator and Audio Catalyst programmer) agrees layer II sounds better than layer III at higher bit rates

John Klimeck

Kpun
May 5, 1999, 12:49 PM

Definitely faster smoother playback with new movie clips such as the new Star Wars commercials. Unfortunately mpeg1 files taken from my Hitachi Mpegcam will not play. Audio will play fine but video will freeze at the first frame. Wonder if I should go back to previous version and does anyone know how to do that?

byron
May 5, 1999, 01:48 PM

I noticed you can't use a flash movie as your startup movie (renamed it Startup Movie). It crashes during startup at the Quicktime Power Plug extension.

Also, nifty feature of note: you can use the quicktime plugin to embed .psd files as your images on a web page. not particularly useful but interesting nonetheless.

asagoo
Forum Regular
May 5, 1999, 07:07 PM

MP3 performance has improved a lot in b22. On a 200MHz 603e it now plays like b21 did on a 233MHz G3 (looking forward to testing it on the G3).
It's still not as smooth as MacAmp, but MacAmp also 'steals' a lot more CPU time than the QT Player.
I'm sure that the final QT4 combined with OS 8.6 will be the real thing.

[This message has been edited by asagoo (edited 05-05-99).]

corwin
May 6, 1999, 02:20 AM

QT 4 is still crap. I've tried every beta fromm 11 on up and they have barely improved a thing. I have a 6500/275 96meg with the latest GM release of 8.6 and the damn thing kept freezing!

I would use QT in one application then use it in another and the curser would freeze. I loaded macsbug and when the mac would freeze the debugger would not trip. I couln't even make it come up!, the only thing I could do is reboot. I removed sound manager and still get the freeze, I then removed QT all together. Guess what? Finder crashed on restart, error type -10. Installed QT 3, Finder crashed on restart, error type -10. Reinstalled system and finder with QT 3, finnaly everything is back to normal.

This is insane, the problem has been around since at least beta 11. Apple better get thier heads out of thier asses before they release the final, but I've been around to long to really belive they will fix it.

Too bad apple blew it.

Phungus
May 6, 1999, 03:37 AM

Well! Your Finder crashed without any QuickTime installed? Obviously QuickTime 4 isn't the source your problems so stop blaming your crashes on QT4. You've got some other extensions conflict that you'd better check out before doing anything else.

47Ronin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 1999, 06:40 AM

Yeah, nothing is really wrong with QT4 that could kill your machine that bad. I have a 7600/G3 running 8.6GM w/QT4 and I haven't crashed for almost 8 days (running SETI@Home 24/7). Maybe you have too much buggy software running! Try troubleshooting your machine properly before placing blame on Apple.

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

jujubee
May 14, 1999, 02:49 PM

Before jumping allover "corwin" about his "buggy software," I think it is only fair that there are other reports of this occuring. I has something to do with a corrupted install. It happened to me and has happened to others. The only workaround is to do a clean install of system 8.5.1. You can run conflict catcher all day and never be able to reproduce the problem. It is extremely frustrating trying to trouble shoot problems that seem very random such that Conflict catcher can narrow down the suspects. It is even more troublesome to realize that the latest versions of Techtool and Norton utilities are unable to find any problems. And doing a clean install is very much a giant consumer of ones time and waste of productivity. For the other folks on this thread, be helpful not discouraging in your posts to what others see as a problem, common or not.

cheers,
Danny

jujubee
May 14, 1999, 02:52 PM

Before jumping allover "corwin" about his "buggy software," I think it is only fair that there are other reports of this occuring. I has something to do with a corrupted install. It happened to me and has happened to others. The only workaround is to do a clean install of system 8.5.1. You can run conflict catcher all day and never be able to reproduce the problem. It is extremely frustrating trying to trouble shoot problems that seem very random such that Conflict catcher can narrow down the suspects. It is even more troublesome to realize that the latest versions of Techtool and Norton utilities are unable to find any problems. And doing a clean install is very much a giant consumer of ones time and waste of productivity. For the other folks on this thread, be helpful not discouraging in your posts to what others see as a problem, common or not.

cheers,
Danny

jujubee
May 14, 1999, 02:52 PM

cheers,
Danny

corwin
May 27, 1999, 10:27 AM

Well to my utter amazement Apple has finnaly fixed the QT freezing problem!

I'm a big enough person to admit I'm wrong, and I was wrong. Apple did get thier heads out of thier asses with the b24 release. My 6500 has been remarkably stable and digitizing in A.V.P. is a little better. All in all I think this is working out nicely.

BTW... I did multiple clean installs of SSW from different sources and they all had the same disasterous effect. But its a moot point now.

-corwin

Forum Links
Forum Rules