Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anti-Apple lies and propaganda

Anti-Apple lies and propaganda
macintologist
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 01:00 AM

I'm amazed at all the lies going around in the PurePwnage forum about Macs

http://www.purepwnage.com/forums/ind...howtopic=20742

People keep spouting unsubstantiated bullshit like "Macs cost 5000", "Macs can't play games", "Macs have ghey design", "Microsoft owns 20% of Apple"

I've already registered as macintologist on the forum. I plan on starting a thread to debunk all these myths.

Now that Macs can dual boot into the WinXP the whole "Macs lack games" argument goes out the Window.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
I've already registered as macintologist on the forum. I plan on starting a thread to debunk all these myths.
Good luck then.

-t

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 01:20 AM

Let them do their own thing. If they want to use PC's that fine. Mac users won't be making any friends by alienating the hardcore, perhaps ignorant, PC users.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 01:27 AM

Not worth the fight, macintologist. Those kids doesn't care about facts, they just want to bash mac for the hell of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
Not worth the fight, macintologist. Those kids doesn't care about facts, they just want to bash mac for the hell of it.
It might just be a perfect match...

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 03:23 AM

I'm not a Christian, but there are certain things Jesus said that make a lot of sense.

Not throwing your pearls before swine being one of them.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Not throwing your pearls before swine being one of them.
Wow, that's a really good saying and it applies perfectly in this situation. Think about it macintologist, would you really want those idiots using Apple's products? They'd give Apple a bad name. If everyone owned a mac (like everyone owns a PC), they would suck as much as PCs do. There will always be idiots, why waste your time on them?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 04:41 AM

I'm still amazed after all these years that people still think that games count as valid programs to justify the use of a certain OS...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I'm still amazed after all these years that people still think that games count as valid programs to justify the use of a certain OS...
Why wouldn’t they? If games are what you spend three fourths of your time in front of your computer on (convoluted sentence), they make a perfectly valid reason for choosing one OS over another.

euphras
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 05:27 AM

Just two words: wasted lifetime

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 07:01 AM

Looks like the forum moderator and another guy there are doing a decent job of curbing the idiocy.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Why wouldn’t they? If games are what you spend three fourths of your time in front of your computer on (convoluted sentence), they make a perfectly valid reason for choosing one OS over another.
Okay the, I guess the Nintendo and XBox crap are the best "computers" out there, because there are more games for them, right?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 07:42 AM

I don't know about you guys, but isn't that one button mouse thing getting a bit old? I have an iMac with a mouse that has more than one button.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:03 AM

Okay the, I guess the Nintendo and XBox crap are the best "computers" out there, because there are more games for them, right?
Hmmm. That's not quite what you said before. You originally said:
Originally Posted by HisDudeness
(emphasis mine)
You originally said you were surprised that people think games justify using a particular OS, then when someone provides a reason one may do so you change your story and make it about people thinking more games = better computer...

sabrejim
May 24, 2006, 08:04 AM

I like the one button thing. It may just be because Ive only owned laptops so ctrl click is easier than a right cilck.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 08:12 AM

People keep spouting unsubstantiated bullshit like "Macs cost 5000", "Macs can't play games", "Macs have ghey design", "Microsoft owns 20% of Apple"
"Macs cost $5000": The highest-end Macs do, but so do the highest-end PCs. The lowest-end Macs cost around $600: pretty high compared to the lowest-end PCs, but not too bad.

"Macs can't play games": Patently false. Just point them to the appropriate sites. And that's not even counting dual-booting, which the PC folks won't count anyway (nor should they, to be honest).

"Macs have ghey design": If your opponent is truly so immature as to bring this up, then I'm afraid there's no point in arguing.

"Microsoft owns 20% of Apple": Microsoft has never owned that much of Apple, and the only stock they did own was non-voting: they had no say as to the goings-on there. Also, note the past tense: Microsoft sold its Apple stock long ago.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 08:16 AM

Facts. We can't let these get in the way.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 08:25 AM

If you do nothing else with your computer than playing games, then yes, they are. Why would you need a PC or Mac if you never use any other functions than game-playing?

If you never play any games (as I don’t, for instance), games is not a factor in deciding which OS to go for—you then base your choice on whatever other factors are relevant to you. If you play a lot of games, but at the same time need to use the computer to surf the web, write documents and e-mails, keep a calendar, etc., Nintendos and XBoxes are obviously not the better choice: you’ll need a PC of some kind. If all these other functions are secondary to playing games, however, I don’t see the point of choosing an OS/machine that has fewer games available, and whose performance when playing these games is, in most cases, inferior. If I were heavily into gaming, I would probably still be a Windows user, or (if I had the money) be a Mac user with an XBox or something as well.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2006, 08:45 AM

They can have their opinions. They're wrong opinions, but who cares? People who are really interested in finding out the truth have only to visit the Apple Store online.

And who gives a rat's tail what a bunch of ill informed idiots think anyway? Taking it personally gives them power over you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zmcgill
May 24, 2006, 08:58 AM

Oh wow...that thread is quite amusing!
"Just so you know...you're actually screwed in terms of the arguement. Since its just you arguing in favor of PC and what? 2 or 3 of them arguing in favor a mac? Regardless of facts, they will win.

Mac users tend to try to gang up on unsuspecting PC users. It's fairly common. They aren't so much trying to convince you that mac is great, but just convince themselves."

And this:
"i have the be-all, end-all argument (and no, i did not read this entire thread - too much to do in too little time)

anywho, heres the golden truth: hippies and artists use Macs. no matter how good they are, they are still for hippies. and since hippies can go to hell, so can Macs."
( Last edited by Gossamer; May 24, 2006 at 09:06 AM. )

OreoCookie
May 24, 2006, 02:43 PM

One comment made me laugh out loud:
i have the be-all, end-all argument (and no, i did not read this entire thread - too much to do in too little time)

anywho, heres the golden truth: hippies and artists use Macs. no matter how good they are, they are still for hippies. and since hippies can go to hell, so can Macs.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
May 24, 2006, 02:53 PM

I guess someone beat me to it
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 02:55 PM

You really want to argue with people who use terms like "ghey design"?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I guess someone beat me to it
They all look like Cartman.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 02:59 PM

It seems like it was actually a dying thread that someone else revived. I don't think it's worth beating a dead horse.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2006, 04:12 PM

They're just losers that have no life and decided to pick on the mac to pass some time.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 10:58 PM

... because I have nothing better to do with myself than defend Apple to the death...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 11:09 PM

Doesn't matter, I heard Apple is going out of business anyway...
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules