Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbooks - heat and static..?

Macbooks - heat and static..?
ColonelSanders91
May 28, 2006, 12:53 AM

Hello All

I just got my Macbook. White (cuz i like that frosty look ) 1.83 ghz dc, 1 gb ram. Of course os x, but soon xp pro sp 2

Has anyone else gotten their macbooks? I've had it running for at least 3 days, and in terms of heat, i only notice it on teh upper left hand area - near the power outlet and the surrounding keyboarding area. The bottom gets pretty hot - but not really a worry since i have it on an elevated passive cooling platform.

I have a few hardware questions. A lady at the college mac store wanted to see my macbook because she had only seen the black ones, and if she liked the glossiness of my macbook - she'd get one too. I brought it in, and as I was passing it to her - she sed 'oh sorry'. i wondered y. she sed because she had 'static shocked' me. I didnt' feel a thing so i assumed she must have shocked my mac. the worker next to her made a laughing comment about "uhoh i hope u didn't break his mac".

I immediately became a little paranoid. I've been repairing PC's for most of my life - and I wear static bracelets to avoid static exposure and I know what static can do to circuits and sensitive equipment.

I'm worried - did she shock my macbook? SHouldn't the casing have shielded it from static? Also even if the casing does shield, if she came in contact with one of the metal ports (video, usb etc) on the left side - will that pose a problem?

I already ran 2 Apple Hardware Tests, and both reported "No Trouble Found".

Any help is appreciated ^^ Idk if i should be so worried abotu static problems...

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 03:05 AM

You are paranoid. Don't worry about it!

ColonelSanders91  (op)
May 28, 2006, 04:14 AM

lol thats a relief

Sorry i'm completely new to macs. New to their desktops and their laptops - so not too sure how they're built.

Does anyone have a report on how their macbook is handling heat? like what side is generating the most heat?

any advice or words regarding heat or static is welcome ^^

thnx again

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 05:24 AM

yep i get the heat and "static" noise in the upper LH corner as well, essentially the area where the power supply is - I think this is where the "whine" comes from that everyone is commenting on - I don't think it's the Core Duo processor itself.

While other areas of Apple design have been really good, some of their power supply designs - notably the G5 towers and apparently, w/ the Macbook have had issues. I was going to ask a genius or some of the tekserve guys I know about it later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules