Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iTunes and Toast.

iTunes and Toast.
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2001, 05:57 AM

If you want to burn CDs with iTunes, you can't use Toast. You must disable the "Toast USB Support" extension and the "Toast CD Reader" extension. You will not be able to use any of the functions of Toast.

If you want to use Toast to burn, you must disable the "Authoring Support", "USB Authoring Support" and "Firewire Authoring Support" extensions installed by iTunes. You can still use all other functions of iTunes, including encoding CD tracks as MP3 ("Import").

You cannot switch between using Toast and iTunes for CD burning without disabling and enabling the appropriate extensions and restarting. If you really want to do this, then you should create two extension sets and switch between them (you'll still need to restart).

As iTunes can ONLY burn audio CDs, I don't use it for burning, as Toast 5 can do this and everything else (except sadly, CD-Text). If you want to use Toast to burn Audio CDs from your MP3s, all you have to do is drag your playlist from iTunes onto the Toast window. Toast 5 can burn in the background. It's well worth the upgrade from Toast 4.

Still, hopefully, Apple or Roxio will fix the incompatibility soon and we'll be able to use both.

------------------
#define m(i)(x[i]^s[i+84])<<
unsigned char x[5],y,s[2048];main(n){for(read(0,x,5);read(0,s,n=2048);write(1, s
,n))if(s[y=s[13]%8+20]/16%4==1){int i=m(1)17^256+m(0)8,k=m(2)0,j=m(4)17^m(3)9^k
*2-k%8^8,a=0,c=26;for(s[y]-=16;--c;j*=2)a=a*2^i&1,i=i/2^j&1<<24;for(j=127;++j<n
;c=c>y)c+=y=i^i/8^i>>4^i>>12,i=i>>8^y<<17, a^=a>>14,y=a^a*8^a<<6,a=a>>8^y&l t;<9,k=s
[j],k="7Wo~'G_\216"[k&7]+2^"cr3sfw6v;*k+>/n."[k>>4]*2^k*257/8,s[j]=k^(k&k*2&34)
*6^c+~y;}}
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2001, 04:17 PM

Wow... Did you really need to post 4 times about it?

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2001, 10:35 PM

If you want to burn CDs with iTunes, you can't use Toast. You must disable the "Toast USB Support" extension and the "Toast CD Reader" extension. You will not be able to use any of the functions of Toast.
To borrow a line from George and Ira Gershwin, "It ain't necessarily so." You may be able to use the AppleScript fix posted on my web site at

<http://www.johnmelby.com/USB_CDBurner_Toggle-10.sit.hqx>.

Give it a try. I can't guarantee that it will work (it may be CD-burner dependent), but it won't hurt your machine, since it moves only one extension and does not require a reboot.

One caveat: RTFM!

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 11:52 AM

hmm... that's odd. I can use both applications without switching around extensions. I burned an mp3 compilation cd yesterday in iTunes 1.1, then fired up Toast 5 and copied a cd -- never restarted the puter.

This is with a firewire Que, by the way.

later,
slim

marusin
Senior User
Apr 11, 2001, 12:21 PM

Actually that is possible with Toast 5... The conflict exists with Toast 4.x (and Jam 2.6.x I believe..) and iTunes... TechTV reviewed Toast 5 yesterday and commented on this... You can read about it here... http://www.techtv.com/news/story/0,2...321077,00.html

Originally posted by slimshady023:
hmm... that's odd. I can use both applications without switching around extensions. I burned an mp3 compilation cd yesterday in iTunes 1.1, then fired up Toast 5 and copied a cd -- never restarted the puter.

This is with a firewire Que, by the way.

later,
slim

Forum Links
Forum Rules