Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Has Record Wireless Range

MacBook Has Record Wireless Range
haakon73
May 23, 2006, 11:02 AM

Many (including myself) have reported that side by side the iBook G4 had a better reception and range of wireless networks than the PowerBook G4. This was reported to be the case due to the construction material of the machines. I have not read any reports about the MacBook Pro but it’s being reported that the MacBook has the best range of all tested Apple notebooks, even the iBook G4.

Apple have redesigned the wireless antennas on the MacBook which they have placed horizontally on the left and vertically on the right, specifically for that model. The reception and range is reported to be such an improvement that some users are picking up networks they didn’t even know existed using other models in the same area.

Officially Apple say the MacBook only supports the wireless standards of 802.11b and 802.11g, however it appears to be connecting flawlessly with 802.11a also.

[Update: It would seem the reason for much of the previous portables wireless reception issues stem from over indulgence in the glue on the antennas. Speculation has it that being less generous with that glue has helped improve the MacBooks reception as much as the new antenna design. I am trying to confirm this now and will further update when appropriate.]

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 11:12 AM

It'd be interesting to see what they've done so that brave iBook G4 owners can do some "upgrades" (ie. re-route the antennas, or buy different ones). I've taken my iBook apart more than once, and the antennas are just regular detachable ones that you find in all laptops with built-in wireless.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 12:18 PM

So they moved the glue off the antenna and onto the processor and called it thermal grease, not a bad idea.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 30, 2006, 09:37 AM

Based upon how many wireless networks I could see from my place:

MacBook 2.0 > iBook G4 1.33 > TiBook 1 GHz > iMac G5 2.0

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 09:49 AM

MacBook 1.83 > iMac 1.83 > iBook 1.2
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 09:54 AM

Macbook 2.0 > iBook G4 1.33 > Titanium PB 1.0 > AL PB 1.5G

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Based upon how many wireless networks I could see from my place:

MacBook 2.0 > iBook G4 1.33 > TiBook 1 GHz > iMac G5 2.0
Weird; in my house, iMac G5 2.0 > TiBook 1 GHz. Go fig.

ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2006, 10:04 AM

I'm amazed that it took so long for anyone to figure out that having the two antennas at different angles would be a Good Thing. Ever notice how cell tower antennas are always at an angle, never straight up and down? That's because it improves signal quality for people who never have their phone's antennas straight up and down. Having the two antennas (which is very good to begin with) at 90 degree angles to each other is a very intelligent approach because it maximizes the ability of the antennas to capture signals that could be polarized at just about any angle because of reflections and bending through and around obstructions. Bravo, Apple!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 30, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Weird; in my house, iMac G5 2.0 > TiBook 1 GHz. Go fig.
Well, to be fair, my iMac and TiBook were in about the same ballpark. More importantly, both were worse than my iBook 1.33, and my MacBook is the strongest.

Judging by the posts here, we disagree on older hardware, but most agree the MacBook is the best for wireless.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 11:10 AM

Macbook 2.0 (16) -> iBook G4 1.2 (6) -> PowerBook G4 1.0 (5)
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 11:15 AM

How is the MBP in relation to the MB?

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 11:33 AM

I'd have to agree. Upon setting up my wireless network settings after unwrapping my MacBook 2.0 there were 4 or 5 wireless networks I had never known existed before--one which wasn't even locked down with a password of any kind--in and around my apartment complex.

Forum Links
Forum Rules