Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto: Changed Names, Now Problems

iPhoto: Changed Names, Now Problems
bembol
May 30, 2006, 09:19 PM

I played around and re-named the Picsin iPhoto...I kept the ".jpg"

As far as Viewing it, I can but it has it's Limit...the real issue is when I want to use it as a Background/Desktop...I just get Solid Colors...???

I'm going to Scarborough tomorrow and stopping at Yorkdale/Apple Store for help...bringing the Min with me...I just wanted to see if anyone can save me the trip.

Thanks in Advance...!!

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 10:46 AM

When you say you renamed, did you do this in Finder or in iPhoto? If in Finder, not sure how you can recover, but the best advice I can give is to NEVER mess with the iPhoto Library in Finder. Do all of your tweaking in iPhoto. iPhoto in Finder has its own way of organizing, and if you mess with it, you will wreak havoc on your photos. Just forget it's there and do all of your work in iPhoto. Trust me, been there, done that -- not nice!
Mary

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 11:47 PM

What version of iPhoto are you running. Here's one way to recover the library in iPhoto 5:

How to recover those photos lost due to renaming or moving in the Finder

1 - make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library folder

2 - do a search of just the iPhoto library folder with the following criteria:

File name contains ".jpg" and File size is less than 1 KB.

That will find all of those zero sized files that were created when iPhoto couldn't fine the originals.

3 - move those zero sized image files to the trash.

4 - now delete those "bad" photos from the iPhoto library using the normal method. (you don't have to but if you don't they will be recovered every time you do a library rebuild with the "recover orphaned photos" option selected).

5 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed and when the rebuild menu comes up select the last option, "Recover orphaned photos in the iPhoto Library folder"

This will recover those renamed files and put then in a new roll. The only downside is that their titles in iPhoto will be "Roll xx-1, etc. You can do a Get Info on them, find the actual file name and change the title so they are the same.

So it can be done with a little work.

With iPhoto 6 you can try rebuilding the library with iPhoto Library Manager. It creates a new library folder and imports the image files from the old library folder. Here's how:

Using iPhoto Library Managerto Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
2 - Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your User/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File->Rebuild Library menu option
4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be 5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: It can take some time to create the new library if you have a lot of photos. One user reported that with a library of about 5,000 images it took about 12 hours so plan ahead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules