Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini g4 speed?

mac mini g4 speed?
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 11:03 AM

what's better choice a Mac Mini 1.2 or a Mac Mini 1.4 G4 model?

I want to buy a Mac Mini G4 what's the best machine. ???
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 11:41 AM

Considering you posted no prices, I assume the price difference is negliagble, and if thats the case, why on earth would a slower machine be the 'best machine'? They are exactly the same apart from proc. speed, and possibly stuff like wireless depending on how they are configured.

Edit: Oh, and why do you want a G4 mini and not an Intel one? The G4s were dead slow
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 03:58 PM

Ok, Let me explain why...
1) I got a PowerMac Dual MDD 867Mhz with four 250g Hds and 2Gigs of RAM.

I need more Speed. I don't have the money. I just have Power PC's Software. They will not run fast on an Intel Mac. I need speed now.

I know a Mac Mini Power PC G4 (great for my Apps 'cause I am not going to upgrade my pro Apps)
today it's more than fast near my MDD. plus it has a Superdrive, and mine not. get it?

I am NOT going to sell my old MDD because I need it for another reasons (OS 9 Pro Apps that I don't need to upgrade them) so, Here's what I want to do:

Keep my MDD and attached a Mac Mini, use the Mac Mini as a primary Mac and my MDD as storage for it. via Firewire I can access my MDD and I will be happy. when I need to use my old apps then I start my MDD with OS 9. I knew it will be complicated that's why I didn't want to explain at forst. but here we go.

I need to know what model is better for me to work like that, the slower or the faster G4?
obvious you think right away that the faster is the better option, but I mean, it is that fast one from the other, or it's almost the same because if it is I will be buying the cheaper one.

I was thinking to upgrade the processor for a g4 1.2ghz dual but it will cost more. so I realized that a Mac mini will be a great option.

FYI I'm planning to buy a brand new Mac (laptop or Tower) as soon as Leopard arrived and Adobe brings me the new version of PhotoShop. in the meantime I need to upgrade the cheap way.

thanx, and please help me work on this one. before I hit the buy it now lonk on eBay.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2006, 05:42 PM

i'm not sure if i will help you, but i felt a little speed diference between my ibook 1,42 x a friends ibook 1,3 ghz , both standarts especs. We have done the test in imovie importing 12MB videos, mine have done in +- 6min and his in a minute later...
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DDS
i'm not sure if i will help you, but i felt a little speed diference between my ibook 1,42 x a friends ibook 1,3 ghz
Good to know. thanx.
Anyone with another experience about it?
I wanna know if it matter the speed percent.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
Good to know. thanx.
Anyone with another experience about it?
I wanna know if it matter the speed percent.
Have you considered a processor upgrade for your MDD?

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Zubir
Have you considered a processor upgrade for your MDD?
right now, it's very unlikely to find a processor upgrade for this kind of PowerMac in particular. I found out very strange websites with them but they are not garanteed and comes with no tech support. and it cost almost the same as a used Mac Mini G4 for the same speed. so, if you know about an upgrade it will be very helpful to know about it. thanx

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
right now, it's very unlikely to find a processor upgrade for this kind of PowerMac in particular. I found out very strange websites with them but they are not garanteed and comes with no tech support. and it cost almost the same as a used Mac Mini G4 for the same speed. so, if you know about an upgrade it will be very helpful to know about it. thanx
Looks like you're right. Gigadesigns made a dual 1.4 upgrade for MDD's, but I can't find one anywhere. Maybe you can find one, or an Apple 1.42 for 167mhz FSB on eBay.

Update:

Found one on eBay, with motherboard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Apple-G4-and...QQcmdZViewItem

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 06:34 AM

Looks like you're right. Gigadesigns made a dual 1.4 upgrade for MDD's, but I can't find one anywhere. Maybe you can find one, or an Apple 1.42 for 167mhz FSB on eBay.

Update:

Found one on eBay, with motherboard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Apple-G4-and...QQcmdZViewItem
Wow, but how can I install that on mine? just remove the one installed and put the new one? how do I know if that is OS 9 bootable?

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 07:01 AM

I found this one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-OEM-Dual-G...QQcmdZViewItem

can I install this on a MDD 867mhz Dual PowerMac???

if I can I will buy it now.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 04:31 PM

You won't be able to tell a difference between the 867 and 1ghz processors. It's only a 130mhz difference. I'd get the dual 1.42. You'll be getting a spare motherboard to boot.

If you can run OS9 apps on your 867 tower, it shouldn't make a difference if you switch out processors. The main conflicts would be with the motherboard.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 04:35 PM

Wait a minute, you'd be better off with the 1gz processor. The 1.42 won't work in your machine, as your FSB is 133mhz, and the 1.42 I linked is made for 167mhz FSB. Sorry about the confusion.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 05:45 PM

Wait a minute, you'd be better off with the 1gz processor. The 1.42 won't work in your machine, as your FSB is 133mhz, and the 1.42 I linked is made for 167mhz FSB. Sorry about the confusion.
Now I'm Confused.

translation please!

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 06:02 PM

Ok, your machine (867 MDD) has a 133mhz front side bus. The FSB controls the speed at which the processor talks to your memory, and other components. Understand? Apple OEM processors higher in speed than 867 use a 167mhz FSB, making them incompatible with your current motherboard.

You could buy the 1.42 processor/motherboard combo I linked up, and put it in your case. You'll see some improvement in speed. But, you won't be able to boot into OS9 on that motherboard, as it isn't supported.

Do you boot into OS9, or do you run your OS9 apps in Classic mode from OSX?

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006, 11:22 PM

I boot on OS 9, some pro Apps wont work on classic. and yes I get it now. thanx how I install just the processor on my existing motherboard...? is it hard to doit?

Forum Links
Forum Rules