Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Full Screen HD on Cinema 23" and MBP

Full Screen HD on Cinema 23" and MBP
rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 03:23 PM

Hey,

I bought a 23" HD Cinema SCreen from apple and when in windows, the quicktime hd trailers are less than the screen width (which is right with a resolution of 1920x1200) However when loaded into mac osx, playing the same trailer, the Actual Size is bigger than the resolution 1920x1200 and so i have to use the fit to screen which makes the trailer smaller than it actually is.

Can anyone explain this? The resolution in osx is 100% right (settings wise).

Thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rhodesy
Hey,

I bought a 23" HD Cinema SCreen from apple and when in windows, the quicktime hd trailers are less than the screen width (which is right with a resolution of 1920x1200) However when loaded into mac osx, playing the same trailer, the Actual Size is bigger than the resolution 1920x1200 and so i have to use the fit to screen which makes the trailer smaller than it actually is.

Can anyone explain this? The resolution in osx is 100% right (settings wise).

Thanks
Windows assumes 96 dpi, OS X assumes 72 dpi.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Windows assumes 96 dpi, OS X assumes 72 dpi.
Isn't that irrelevant? Pixels matter, not DPI in this situation?

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 06:38 PM

I thought the dpi effected the text size - not video.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2006, 04:22 PM

That's weird. In full screen the movie should be playing with a 1:1 pixel ratio. So it should fill the entire width of the screen.
( Last edited by slffl; Jun 1, 2006 at 05:03 PM. )
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 04:34 PM

I don't have a problem viewing the QTHD trailers in OS-X. When "Actual Size" is selected, the width of the window frame on the left side shifts the picture off-screen a little on the right, but when "Full Screen" is selected, they fill the width of the monitor. I don't understand why it would be any different on the MBP.

BTW, I did the math for 1920 x 1200 pixels on a 23" 16:10 display and it comes out to 98 dpi... closer to 96 than 72.

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 10:12 PM

Iv figured it out! It's because i was in mirror mode - it mirrors the resoluton too...

Could just be me but I dont see the different in quality between this and a dvd :S

Forum Links
Forum Rules