Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disable Sleep Light

Disable Sleep Light
Tom_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 08:58 PM

Does anyone know of a way (such as via Terminal) of disabling (or at least dimming) the pulsating sleep light on a Powerbook?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

ibook_steve
May 30, 2006, 10:35 PM

I can't tell you how many times this has been asked. A search would provide you with all sorts of answers and is recommended before posting. But the main answer is no. If the light bothers that much, put a napkin or something over it or put it in a bag.

Steve

kylemacr
May 31, 2006, 06:52 AM

There was aa very recent upgrade that dimmed the light during night time hours (that was for my G5 running Panther). I haven't paid much attention to it, but I think it worked.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by germullen
There was aa very recent upgrade that dimmed the light during night time hours (that was for my G5 running Panther). I haven't paid much attention to it, but I think it worked.
That was for the iMac G5s with the ambient light sensor, not for PowerBooks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2006, 08:44 PM

And PLEASE make this thread a sticky so there is less frequency of it being asked.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 08:56 PM

easyest way to turn off the sleep light is to put your Mac into Safe-Sleep/Deep Sleep (there is a widget for dashboard). i assume your going to bed and trying not to be annoyed by the light. Putting the Mac to Deep Sleep works great for me, to wake it up from Deep Sleep just press the power button.

Forum Links
Forum Rules