Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Please help me with my wireless problems

Please help me with my wireless problems
money69
Jun 8, 2006, 12:17 AM

I have a new macbook which I am using at home and work. Below are both situations, I am looking for any advice on either of these situations.

OFFICE-I have a Dlink DI-624 at the office with the newest firmware. It was working fine for a while but now I can connect to the router and stay connected for about 10mins or so and then I can not use the connection anymore, under Network settings it has a little yellow button instead of the normal green. The strange thing is that if I connect the standard network cable to my laptop the airport will magically start working again. In my building my router shows up among maybe 7-10 others.

HOME-I have a Dlink DI-624 also here with the newest firmware same as my office. I can connect and use the connection, periodically I cant connect to websites, I have to turn the airport off and then on.

So, my question is simple, how can I resolve these issues. I dont know to much about wireless. Should I change the default channel in the router? Any other suggestions. It should be noted that I am close to both these routers, no where near the out of range area.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I noticed on a side note that if I disable all security that the connection doesnt seem to drop. Any ideas?

Thanks
( Last edited by money69; Jun 8, 2006 at 01:06 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2006, 09:00 AM

You should have both the office and home routers listed as "prefered" wireless networks in your Mac's AirPort settings. This should help with preventing problems from nearby wireless networks. If this problem cropped up only after you upgraded the routers' firmware, you might want to install an earlier version to replace the latest firmware. Coders for companies like D-Link aren't doing "world class" work in router firmware, so the newest firmware might not be up to the task due to flaws in the code.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules