Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Auto Run CD

Auto Run CD
sandandrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2002, 02:41 PM

I'm creating a little CD presentation to give to clients that's basically a self-contained web site that I'm burning onto a CD. Is there an auto run file I can include in the CD that will open the user's default web browser when they put the CD in? Something (or two things I guess?) that will work for both PC's and Macs?

Many thanks.

Andrew

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2002, 04:43 PM

there's a way to get it to auto run on windows. it happens lots of times with installation cd-roms. I don't see it on the mac unless it is a dvd. some music cds will auto play.

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2002, 04:50 PM

You need to create an .inf file and in the file create the program that needs to run the CD.

MacZilla Rex

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: DayDream Believers ]

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by DayDream Believers:
<STRONG>You need to create an .inf file and in the file create the program that needs to run the CD.

MacZilla Rex

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: DayDream Believers ]</STRONG>
can you elaborate?

-Owl

nitram_at_work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 01:16 AM

try http://www.keiserphoto.com/resources/cdauto.htm

note: not all Macs have autorun set as default (it's in the quicktime control panel). the autostart worm put a stop to that...

i have tried the shellrun.exe file once and it worked OK. Just follow the directions. if you don't understand the autorun.inf -&gt; shellrun.exe dynamics, just post back here.

you can make your own '.exe' file in flash if you like. takes only two frames.
_ _ _______ _ _
is this where the signature goes?

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 07:46 AM

I had to do this for a client once, but I wish I could remember how it was done for you. It was quite simple, just a text file created in notepad that basically said 'autorun = programname.exe'

The one limitation with autorun on windows (as I understand it) is that it can only autorun .exe's, not documents...to make a document autorun, you must create a program (VB is easiest if u have it) that tells windows to open the document.

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 11:48 AM

Basic autorun would look like this:

[AUTORUN]
open=Setup.exe
icon=Setup.exe,0

If this does not work for you try using Macromedia Director and create a self-contained project remembering to give it enough RAM and not to forget when exporting to other computers to remember the size of the monitors and machines that might use said CD.

MacZilla Rex

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: DayDream Believers ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules