Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How can I have quicktime not embed in Firefox?

How can I have quicktime not embed in Firefox?
dndog
Jun 11, 2006, 12:58 AM

When I open mpeg movies in Firefox, quicktime embeds them in the browser, which does not allow me to resize the movie.

How can I make quicktime open it seperately as a program?

Thanks.
(sold)12" 1.33ghz iBook G4 512mb Ram [my first osx mac, way too slow]
(sold)15" 1.67ghz 1gig Ram Powerbook [I need more power a.k.a. Macbook]
15" 1.83ghz 1gig Ram MacBook Pro

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2006, 08:04 AM

Start by asking in the Applications forum...

And Firefox lets you select what you want to do with downloaded files. Go to Tools and then the Downloads tab, then click on the View & Edit Actions button to select what Firefox should do with Quicktime files.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

simmonstwin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Start by asking in the Applications forum...

And Firefox lets you select what you want to do with downloaded files. Go to Tools and then the Downloads tab, then click on the View & Edit Actions button to select what Firefox should do with Quicktime files.
First you need a mod that can read. Then yo need to get flip4mac , once that is downloaded and installed ypu can go through the prefrences to allow for embedded video to play through quicktime

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by simmonstwin
First you need a mod that can read. Then yo need to get flip4mac , once that is downloaded and installed ypu can go through the prefrences to allow for embedded video to play through quicktime
Uh, flip4mac is just for wmv, no?

simmonstwin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 01:45 PM

no it work for many other media's also.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by simmonstwin
THE QUESTION SAYS "How can I make quicktime open it seperately as a program?" WHICH IS WHAT I ANSWERED. You can tell Firefox to open any kind of file in the file's native application. So what did I "not read?"

Please watch name calling and rudeness-it gets people banned from these forums.

guevara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:45 PM

I am trying to have FF not embed movies within itself while playing. I would like it to launch right player while playing a clip.

The solution posted doesn't work. I checked the file type associations for FF but don't see anything for MPEG files there. I also checked the associations in QT. I have disabled everything else except the ones that I can't disassociate in QT.

Any ideas how to get this fixed? Thanks in advance

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 05:21 PM

Hmm, Firefox doesn't appear to have an interface for disabling plug-ins. If you only ever use Firefox, or if you only ever want to download Quicktime content from any browser, not just FF, then move the Quicktime .plugin files out of the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder.

FWIW, if you just want to increase the size of the media in the browser, I find that using the Universal Access Zoom feature useful for this.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2006, 07:05 PM

Firefox prefs -> Content, bottom of the box is "File types", if you press "Manage" you can select what FF should do with the files Quicktime handles. (At least I can see that sort of info in FF 2.0.)

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 07:21 PM

When I view that, it doesn't display any information for video files and there doesn't appear to be a way to add them to alter the settings for them:

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2006, 08:31 PM

JKT, try changing the associations for PNG and TIFF images to Preview and see if you still have QuickTime automatically open within Firefox. I'm on my PC right now, but running Firefox, and I DO have an explicit association for MPEG files with QT.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 09:01 PM

Still opens within Firefox...

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2006, 12:22 PM

OK, let's get tweaky then. Type about:config in the location bar. Then search for "plug" (without quotes). Change "browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensi ons" to false (just double-click it). Then check the Filetype manager again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules